Buying & Leasing Interested in getting a G37? Ask your Questions in here.

Interested Noobie

Old 07-21-2014, 07:56 AM
IntricateDetail
Wannabe

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
Interested Noobie

Well hello all,

I'm new to the site, but have been creeping for a few weeks now. There are some amazing reads and a wealth of knowledge on these forums. I just recently added the Infiniti G lineup to my list of potential cars, and I'm upset I didn't have them on there sooner. The reality is, my sister has a G37x Coupe, and I'd like to think I'm not the only one who usually likes to have a little originality in their car; at least amongst their family and close friends. Either way, I finally got over it and have been seeing some great things in regards to these cars.

I stopped by the "Read Before Buying" and "Inspection" threads, and they were awesome! A lot of great information to take with me to the dealership. I also noticed a fair bit of competition between one or two of these cars on my list individually, like the S4 and 335i. I guess I don't really want to start another flame war of why BMW is better than Audi is better than MB is better than Infiniti is better than...more or less just looking for actual information from owners who made the choice, one way or the other, between the cars on my list, and why. Hope that doesn't sound all "blah blah". First post jitters and what not.

Well, a little bit about what I'm looking for. I pretty much decided I wanted a sporty car, as there is no reason to not get one. I'm fairly young, with only one child, so as long as there is a "possibility" the little one could fit in a booster car seat in the back, I'm good with it. I was raised really "weird" and refuse to make payments on a car. I also refuse to lease. So now that I bought my wife a new vehicle (Mazda CX-5) it's time for me to use some of what's left for a nice little toy for myself. My top 5 right now are:

1.) '13 Infiniti G37xS Coupe 7AT

Likes: It's pretty quick, luxurious enough for me, has tons of features, and seems to have a good track record in terms of dependability. The AWD is super awesome according to...me, because when driving my sister's "courtesy car"? when hers was in for maintenance...it handled very well, which was a good thing. This was driving through the mountains of CO in the winter during a snow storm. My first time in CO btw...and that was scary as bleep. She made me drive, which I'm sure was super legal...because she didn't trust herself to drive up the mountains with retarded drop offs and snow/ice all over the road. I don't know who could live up in those mountains. I about peed myself on multiple occasions. But the car never slipped/skid/slid. I was darn impressed, that's for sure. I know that's a lot of blabbage, but you can't get a more REAL experience of an AWD system than that. First time driving an AWD system as well.
Dislikes: It's somewhat bland in terms of looks (subjective), and unoriginal (sister has one...argh).

2.) '14 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Ultimate

Likes: It's rare, has good looks (subjective), and it's quick. And it comes equipped with some pretty cool goodies for the price.
Dislikes: The quality control is obviously lacking, and the issues people are having in droves should really be fixed, but are being ignored. Obviously this is due in part to the 2nd gen GC coming out in '16/'17.

3.) '12 Audi S4

Likes: It's wicked fast, has a great tranny, and has luxury and style that makes me go "mmmmm". Plus the quattro system is beast.
Dislikes: It's expensive, and I really don't want to spend that much on something someone else has driven for 3 years. Warranty as well, pretty big deal. I see a lot of people just doing leases because they don't trust the car after the warranty is up. Not a good feeling when you're looking to buy.

3.) '12 BMW 335i

Likes: It's fast...like, S4 fast. And it has that BMW feeling to it, which is a good thing in my opinion.
Dislikes: Pricey; honestly, too pricey in my mind. It's a Bimmer, so there is that whole "Oh noes, it will break right after the warranty is up" factor even though it's probably not true, and I've always been disappointed with the advanced level of elitism going on in that crowd; it's annoying and frustrating. Same issue with the warranty as the Audi, although both companies seem to be getting better in terms of long term dependability. Either way, it's a nice car.

4.) '15 Mustang GT or EcoBoost Premium w/ PP

Likes: Well, the GT is just pure throaty goodness with plenty of HP and a solid aftermarket, and the EB will be the car of the year for anybody wanting to make money so the aftermarket will be booming for that soon as well. The EB also has the luxury of being good on gas, which is always something nice to throw out there...haha.
Dislikes: Rear end is either love it or hate it...I won't say which I am. Not much else other than that really.

5.) '13 Camaro SS

Likes: Well...I have always been a huge Chevy fan, and the SS is fast haha.
Dislikes: I have always especially liked the Camaro and Corvette...but they are killing me right now with this ugly car, the interior is just bad, and the "refresh" for '14 was horrible. The tail lights look retarded now, and they pretty much just made the car even worse. Honestly, I would only get this car if I decided to buy two cars...which probably won't happen.

Thoughts?? I know we're comparing a LOT of different cars that are made for different things, but I've tried to give my reasons for liking each, and I know I want a 300+ HP RWD/AWD coupe, so these are my top options. I have seen a lot of comparisons to some of these vehicles (GC, 335i), and a lot of people defending the G37 or the other side. But have any of you actually cross-shopped a vast majority of these vehicles and decided on your G37x Coupe? Well thanks for reading guys / gals. Hope you all have a great day!
Old 07-21-2014, 09:32 AM
GoFightNguyen
Because Racecar

Received 748 Likes on 356 Posts
You're in the wrong place if you're looking for non-Infiniti recommendations.

If you get snow, get AWD. Snow tires are more important than an AWD system, though.

/thread
Old 07-21-2014, 10:03 AM
IntricateDetail
Wannabe

Originally Posted by GoFightNguyen
You're in the wrong place if you're looking for non-Infiniti recommendations.

If you get snow, get AWD. Snow tires are more important than an AWD system, though.

/thread
I am going to take this as helpful advice, although I find it a bit interesting. I have seen many other threads about people who switched to a Bimmer or an Audi and it seems some of them stick around the forums, maybe because they like the people, who knows? Either way, it seems you can get some unbiased opinions from this site but that's not even what I asked for. I technically asked for BIASED opinions from people who either bought the car or cross shopped. But instead of cross shopping the M3 or M5 or CLK AMG or whatever else...I listed a few "less $$$" options that people may have considered. Either way, thanks for your input.
Old 07-21-2014, 10:39 AM
DBall

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I used to have a 330i (e46), owned it for nearly 5 years and the only issue I had to deal with was replacing tires. Traded that in for a 335xi (e90) (out of warranty)... about 3 months down the road, transmission died. Entirely. Replaced it, headlight goes, replaced that, coolant leak ($1400+), fix that, gears start slipping again (seemed a lot like when the transmission went the first time). Seriously, I EASILY dropped 5k on that car in repairs alone in one year. When I took it in to get the coolant leak fixed, the shop told me I should "get rid of it and cut my losses as stuff was going to just keep going wrong". In fairness, it was an 08 and kinda high in miles.

That said, when it was driving, nothing held a candle to it... most fun car I've driven. The G37x is not really in the same class performance-wise, but in terms of interior, gadgets and "luxury feel", I like the G37x more. AWD on the BMW was awesome, not sure how it is on the G, but I live in a place where it snows a lot so I should be able to comment on that in a few months.

I suppose that I would get another BMW 335 in a heartbeat, but only for the warrantied period, and only if it was close in cost to the G (which it typically won't be with a warranty).

Check some of the other forums out there... e90post and such have hundreds of posts saying how the cars are always falling apart (and a fair amount saying they have no issue at all) so it seems to be hit or miss. First BMW I had was problem free, second had a new problem (literally) as soon as the previous one got fixed... every time. It is a toss up.

A 2013 G should come with a warranty for bumper to bumper for the next 3 years and engine/trans for the next 6... for me, that warranty sealed the deal. The upgraded interior (in my opinion) was a pleasant bonus as well.

BMW 335 Pros and Cons from me-

Pros:

* More torque/turbos, feels much faster
* AWD is great in winter
* Feels like it is on rails... all other cars kinda feel like toys after driving around on BMW suspensions for 6+ years. This car sticks to the road wonderfully
* Easy to mod - you can tune this car super cheap and get much more HP/TQ out of it... there is a huge community of people doing super cool stuff with the N54 engine
* That "BMW prestige"

Cons:

* Repairs out of warranty are obscenely costly (and in some cases, absurdly frequent)
* Interior could really use an update
* That "BMW prestige"

Last edited by DBall; 07-21-2014 at 10:45 AM.
Old 07-21-2014, 10:56 AM
GoFightNguyen
Because Racecar

Received 748 Likes on 356 Posts
To elaborate, you already mentioned that you understand you are comparing very different cars. I don't know if this car would be a daily driver, or just a weekend car. If you'll have to contend with adverse weather, then AWD is probably a good idea. That immediately takes the SS, Genesis, and Mustang off the table, since, afaik, none of them are available in an AWD form.

The Audis come with quattro as an option, and the 335 is available with the X drive AWD system. Then, of course, there is the G37xs.

The G37 will be the slowest car of the three AWD options, stock for stock. The S4 is supercharged, the 335ix is turbocharged, but the G37 is NA. If I had to shop between these cars, personally, I would choose my critera as follows, in no particular order:

1. Price
The g37 is easily the cheapest option, I think, with the audi, then the BMW.
2. Reliability
The g37 is quite reliable, given its Japanese origins, the audi is probably second, then the BMW.
3. Resale Value
Here, I believe the BMW wins out. The resale on 335's is quite good, all things considered. G37's have a hard time reselling for anything close to KBB values.
4. Cost of Ownership
The g37 requires premium maintenance, true, but nowhere near as much as its European counterparts. NA is always easier to maintain than boosted motors, and many services can be done yourself to avoid dealership markups.
5. Modification Responsiveness
It's easier to mod boosted cars to put out more power than it is to add boost in the first place. If you are dead set on modding, you'll get more bang-for-buck with a super/turbo setup than an NA setup as a starting spot.
6. Luxury
BMW is the standard for mid-high level luxury, even if their amenities have become a little dated in recent years. Personally, I feel BMW has been content to rest on their laurels, and they haven't really innovated the way they were doing 10 years ago. Audi would be next, and the G37, though nicely appointed, is easily the last on this list.
7. Power
335i probably has more top-end power, and is easier to tune, followed by the nice power band of the Audi, and finally by the G37.

Those are just my opinions, yours will likely be different. I like my G37s, but if I'm perfectly honest, the mods I've done are mostly in a performance-oriented direction, and I would probably be happier in a 370z. The price point of a BMW was too high for me to justify spending on a daily driver (cost of ownership factored in), and I didn't even look at Audi, since I've heard several horror stories about powertrain failures.

I don't know what you do for a living, but if I may be arrogant for a moment. There are some jobs where appearances are at least as important as performance. A hyundai genesis, though nicely appointed, is still decidedly a Hyundai. That has nothing to do with their performance, luxury, or reliability, it is what it is. I drove a 5.0 Mustang as a rental for four or five days a few months ago. I was not impressed at all, Ford's reboot of the 5.0 line is very unrefined and loose. The motor was lazy, and didn't seem to want to get up and go. I found myself missing my G37.

I've only driven the camaro a few times. I didn't get to really take it out and abuse it, but I did spend enough time in it to know that I will never own one. The windows are tiny, the hood is enormous, and the blind spots are of almost mythical proportions.

One man's opinion.
Old 07-22-2014, 03:36 AM
IntricateDetail
Wannabe

Originally Posted by DBall
I used to have a 330i (e46), owned it for nearly 5 years and the only issue I had to deal with was replacing tires. Traded that in for a 335xi (e90) (out of warranty)... about 3 months down the road, transmission died. Entirely. Replaced it, headlight goes, replaced that, coolant leak ($1400+), fix that, gears start slipping again (seemed a lot like when the transmission went the first time). Seriously, I EASILY dropped 5k on that car in repairs alone in one year. When I took it in to get the coolant leak fixed, the shop told me I should "get rid of it and cut my losses as stuff was going to just keep going wrong". In fairness, it was an 08 and kinda high in miles.

That said, when it was driving, nothing held a candle to it... most fun car I've driven. The G37x is not really in the same class performance-wise, but in terms of interior, gadgets and "luxury feel", I like the G37x more. AWD on the BMW was awesome, not sure how it is on the G, but I live in a place where it snows a lot so I should be able to comment on that in a few months.

I suppose that I would get another BMW 335 in a heartbeat, but only for the warrantied period, and only if it was close in cost to the G (which it typically won't be with a warranty).

Check some of the other forums out there... e90post and such have hundreds of posts saying how the cars are always falling apart (and a fair amount saying they have no issue at all) so it seems to be hit or miss. First BMW I had was problem free, second had a new problem (literally) as soon as the previous one got fixed... every time. It is a toss up.

A 2013 G should come with a warranty for bumper to bumper for the next 3 years and engine/trans for the next 6... for me, that warranty sealed the deal. The upgraded interior (in my opinion) was a pleasant bonus as well.

BMW 335 Pros and Cons from me-

Pros:

* More torque/turbos, feels much faster
* AWD is great in winter
* Feels like it is on rails... all other cars kinda feel like toys after driving around on BMW suspensions for 6+ years. This car sticks to the road wonderfully
* Easy to mod - you can tune this car super cheap and get much more HP/TQ out of it... there is a huge community of people doing super cool stuff with the N54 engine
* That "BMW prestige"

Cons:

* Repairs out of warranty are obscenely costly (and in some cases, absurdly frequent)
* Interior could really use an update
* That "BMW prestige"
Thanks for this. I agree that a BMW out of warranty is just asking for trouble. That is what I've seen even on the Bimmer forums I've frequented. Lease, don't buy. Which if you like doing that and don't mind not actually "owning" your car, then by all means, get 'er done! I also think the "prestige" as you mentioned is both great and horrible. At this point, I will just have to line it all up, but I do have a pretty good writeup so far on the pros and cons. A lot of them will have to wait until after driving them all and seeing what they "feel" like.

Originally Posted by GoFightNguyen
To elaborate, you already mentioned that you understand you are comparing very different cars. I don't know if this car would be a daily driver, or just a weekend car. If you'll have to contend with adverse weather, then AWD is probably a good idea. That immediately takes the SS, Genesis, and Mustang off the table, since, afaik, none of them are available in an AWD form.

The Audis come with quattro as an option, and the 335 is available with the X drive AWD system. Then, of course, there is the G37xs.

The G37 will be the slowest car of the three AWD options, stock for stock. The S4 is supercharged, the 335ix is turbocharged, but the G37 is NA. If I had to shop between these cars, personally, I would choose my critera as follows, in no particular order:

1. Price
The g37 is easily the cheapest option, I think, with the audi, then the BMW.
2. Reliability
The g37 is quite reliable, given its Japanese origins, the audi is probably second, then the BMW.
3. Resale Value
Here, I believe the BMW wins out. The resale on 335's is quite good, all things considered. G37's have a hard time reselling for anything close to KBB values.
4. Cost of Ownership
The g37 requires premium maintenance, true, but nowhere near as much as its European counterparts. NA is always easier to maintain than boosted motors, and many services can be done yourself to avoid dealership markups.
5. Modification Responsiveness
It's easier to mod boosted cars to put out more power than it is to add boost in the first place. If you are dead set on modding, you'll get more bang-for-buck with a super/turbo setup than an NA setup as a starting spot.
6. Luxury
BMW is the standard for mid-high level luxury, even if their amenities have become a little dated in recent years. Personally, I feel BMW has been content to rest on their laurels, and they haven't really innovated the way they were doing 10 years ago. Audi would be next, and the G37, though nicely appointed, is easily the last on this list.
7. Power
335i probably has more top-end power, and is easier to tune, followed by the nice power band of the Audi, and finally by the G37.

Those are just my opinions, yours will likely be different. I like my G37s, but if I'm perfectly honest, the mods I've done are mostly in a performance-oriented direction, and I would probably be happier in a 370z. The price point of a BMW was too high for me to justify spending on a daily driver (cost of ownership factored in), and I didn't even look at Audi, since I've heard several horror stories about powertrain failures.

I don't know what you do for a living, but if I may be arrogant for a moment. There are some jobs where appearances are at least as important as performance. A hyundai genesis, though nicely appointed, is still decidedly a Hyundai. That has nothing to do with their performance, luxury, or reliability, it is what it is. I drove a 5.0 Mustang as a rental for four or five days a few months ago. I was not impressed at all, Ford's reboot of the 5.0 line is very unrefined and loose. The motor was lazy, and didn't seem to want to get up and go. I found myself missing my G37.

I've only driven the camaro a few times. I didn't get to really take it out and abuse it, but I did spend enough time in it to know that I will never own one. The windows are tiny, the hood is enormous, and the blind spots are of almost mythical proportions.

One man's opinion.
Well, I appreciate any and all opinions. You have given a lot of useful information and I appreciate that.

This car would definitely be a daily driver. We do get snow, but the car would not HAVE to be AWD. It would just be super nice. That's why the 335xi and the G37xS and the Audi S4 are at the top of my list. The A4/A5 are just slow...really slow, in comparison.

I hate spending money. It's not like I have billions in the bank just waiting for me to spend. I have enough, but that's because I don't like to spend it. I owned a Mazda CX-7 and a Mazda6 Sport before that. I tend to get whatever makes me feel good, but also is practical. That said, I have reached some of my "childhood" goals financially, and am going to "spoil" myself by getting a car that for me will be "super nice". My wife demands it, so it will be done.

I definitely understand what you're saying about the arrogance thing. Hey, it's ok. We all have a little arrogance in us, don't we? Either way, I never cared about what I drive. My sister does. She has that "successful business professional" vibe she has to give off and like you, she says that is heavily associated with what vehicle you drive. I'm not saying it's not true, it just doesn't apply to me. I work in CyberSecurity, both Offensive and Defensive. I've worked for DoD, etc...and I make a fairly decent living. As you can probably imagine, nobody cares what the "computer nerd" drives. They probably expect him to drive something totally lame anyway, because he spends all his money on his home computers and crazy, pointless electronic toys. That can be true in some cases, but not mine. I do love computers, and yes my home is setup as a nice little LAN, but that's neither here nor there. Either way, I'm glad I'm not in a career that somewhat dictates what I have to look like, act like, and dress like. There are so many out there that do. I mean technically, people "assume" I will wear glasses, tuck my tshirts in, talk about cyber warfare all the time, and have bad hygiene; but that's not an expectation from the "professional" community, so much as a stereotype. Ok, rant over.

About the Mustang and Camaro...yes, agreed. The Mustang is your typical run of the mill "every country boy owns one" car...and the Camaro is the reason the consumer knows about visibility issues today. That car has to have more reviews that talk about its horrible visibility than any other car out there haha. Plus, when you get it in, it's literally like you just sat down in some simulator cockpit for takeoff. Some people love that, some don't.
Old 07-22-2014, 09:24 AM
Jack10525
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I had a similar list when I was car shopping. My wife has a 2011 Gen Coupe and I really like the car but like you wanted to be unique so I went with the G. Now that I have had the G for a while I'll tell you it's a nice car but not great. Even though it is listed at 330 hp it's not very quick off the line or doing pulls on the highway. Also the G is not mod friendly.The BMW interested me until I found out from many owners what they cost to maintain. Your bet best on that list is the Genesis Coupe. It's a lot of car for the money.
Old 07-22-2014, 10:11 AM
IntricateDetail
Wannabe

Originally Posted by Jack10525
I had a similar list when I was car shopping. My wife has a 2011 Gen Coupe and I really like the car but like you wanted to be unique so I went with the G. Now that I have had the G for a while I'll tell you it's a nice car but not great. Even though it is listed at 330 hp it's not very quick off the line or doing pulls on the highway. Also the G is not mod friendly.The BMW interested me until I found out from many owners what they cost to maintain. Your bet best on that list is the Genesis Coupe. It's a lot of car for the money.
So your best choice is the Genesis Coupe, even if the speed isn't my top priority? The car is actually better? I mean, I have heard it's faster, and I really don't care. You have to remember, I have driven a Camry, a Mazda6, and a CX-7. Whichever car I get will be "SUPER FAST" to me. If you are telling me that the Genesis Coupe is a better car in every way, that's interesting and makes me curious. Because I thought most people "admitted" the GC was not as nice or luxurious, and didn't feel as "well put together"...but if you don't feel that way, I'd like to know. I frequent the GenCoupe.com forums and it is just constantly people talking about how good the GC is, but it's also filled with people having issues with simple QC items that any car can have, but most companies would try to resolve in future releases. But yea, it's always good to have tons of opinions, at least in my small opinion haha.
Old 07-22-2014, 05:59 PM
telcoman
Registered Member

Received 161 Likes on 139 Posts
Originally Posted by IntricateDetail
Well hello all,

I'm fairly young, with only one child, so as long as there is a "possibility" the little one could fit in a booster car seat in the back, I'm good with it. I was raised really "weird" and refuse to make payments on a car. I also refuse to lease. So now that I bought my wife a new vehicle (Mazda CX-5) it's time for me to use some of what's left for a nice little toy for myself. My top 5 right now are:
!
You won't be young forever
Don't make stupid mistakes
Do not by a coupe.
You don't need a toy
Buy a sedan that will hold two car seats just in case another child comes along

From an old farht

Telcoman
Old 07-22-2014, 11:51 PM
IntricateDetail
Wannabe

Originally Posted by telcoman
You won't be young forever
Don't make stupid mistakes
Do not by a coupe.
You don't need a toy
Buy a sedan that will hold two car seats just in case another child comes along

From an old farht

Telcoman
Well, we all make stupid mistakes. But I appreciate the advice. Not sure if you're saying that buying a coupe would be a stupid mistake, but I dunno. If I get the G37, there would be a chance I would get the sedan as well, I'd have to drive them both.

I don't need a toy? Hmmm, not sure how that makes sense. Everyone's idea of a toy varies, but we all have one. For some, it's a boat. Others, it's a car. Others still, it's a basement theater in their house. We all have toys, but I think maybe I get what you're saying. Don't buy a $50k coupe when there are other options that make more "long term" sense? I don't know if that's what you're saying at all, actually.

Won't be young forever. Not sure what that means. I mentioned I was young because quite frankly, I know some people say no to cars based on things like "the seat was hard on my back" or it "hurt when I would go over small bumps". Just saying, and in that regard...I won't be young forever, but this car will be LONG gone before I'm in that boat.

All in all, thanks for the advice, I'm not going to go out and buy an $80k car, because I don't think that's wise. However, I don't see how me buying a $30k car, coupe or otherwise would be a dumb decision. The rest of my money, save the 6 month emergency fund, is going into the principal of my house, and I will be killing over 7 years of the loan just with that. But enough about that.