Build Threads

2012 G37S 6MT Sedan build

Old 02-23-2017, 11:41 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,565 Likes on 3,422 Posts
My only experience with aftermarket clutch & flywheel on these cars was a buddy's boosted G35S 6MT, and that was simply too insane to be driveable (IMO). Every shift was like someone slamming the back of your seat with a sledge hammer. It was nearly impossible to walk out of the hole like a normal person. And the noise was so crude and mechanical... it was too much for me. As you said, the RJM pedal probably tames it considerably as a daily driven mod, but the racket... yeah, it was like an oil drum filled with wrenches.

Like you, I also had my original CSC fail on me. I believe that was at only 18K miles. Hopefully, the RJM pedal will alleviate the conditions which bring about that failure... or so goes Ryan's marketing about his pedal. Knock on wood.

The Z1 transmission mount has been on my car since last May (nine months). Like everyone else, I was in love with the initial transformation. There was considerable added NVH, but in my mind it was all good, making me feel more in tune with the car. And there was a feeling that the throttle had a quicker response, real or otherwise. Perception, baby!

Unlike most everyone who did this last year, I never fell out of love with the mod, and it's a keeper. But then, I don't look at my car like it's entry-level luxury with a little extra grunt, I see it more as a Sport Sedan with some creature comforts. Considering your clutch/flywheel mod, I suspect you'll feel the same. Here was the thread:

https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-sed...ion-mount.html

Last edited by Rochester; 02-23-2017 at 11:56 AM.
Old 02-23-2017, 03:54 PM
FSTG37

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
My only experience with aftermarket clutch & flywheel on these cars was a buddy's boosted G35S 6MT, and that was simply too insane to be driveable (IMO). Every shift was like someone slamming the back of your seat with a sledge hammer. It was nearly impossible to walk out of the hole like a normal person. And the noise was so crude and mechanical... it was too much for me. As you said, the RJM pedal probably tames it considerably as a daily driven mod, but the racket... yeah, it was like an oil drum filled with wrenches.

Like you, I also had my original CSC fail on me. I believe that was at only 18K miles. Hopefully, the RJM pedal will alleviate the conditions which bring about that failure... or so goes Ryan's marketing about his pedal. Knock on wood.

The Z1 transmission mount has been on my car since last May (nine months). Like everyone else, I was in love with the initial transformation. There was considerable added NVH, but in my mind it was all good, making me feel more in tune with the car. And there was a feeling that the throttle had a quicker response, real or otherwise. Perception, baby!

Unlike most everyone who did this last year, I never fell out of love with the mod, and it's a keeper. But then, I don't look at my car like it's entry-level luxury with a little extra grunt, I see it more as a Sport Sedan with some creature comforts. Considering your clutch/flywheel mod, I suspect you'll feel the same. Here was the thread:

https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-sed...ion-mount.html

Just read the 22 pages... Man I am on the fence of trying the trans mount. BTW I just ordered my TWM short shifter w/ the A6 ****. Also purchased Diode Dynamics full interior kit with the tail as turn kit and finally a front chin spoiler. Can't wait to install all of it.

Last edited by FSTG37; 02-23-2017 at 05:09 PM.
Old 02-27-2017, 02:24 PM
IracknBack
Premier Member

Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts
The trans mount is $150. can't hurt.

after being in love, then annoyed, then "whatever" on it, I'm so used to it now I'm not sure I care to ever take it out now. a friend on his coupe got the Z1 motor mounts and whiteline diff bushings all done at the same time with the trans mount and said it was the best $ he's ever spent. may consider that.....
Old 02-28-2017, 10:47 AM
FSTG37

Originally Posted by IracknBack

after being in love, then annoyed, then "whatever" on it, I'm so used to it now I'm not sure I care to ever take it out now. a friend on his coupe got the Z1 motor mounts and whiteline diff bushings all done at the same time with the trans mount and said it was the best $ he's ever spent. may consider that.....

On Z1 website they are $198.00 plus shipping.
Old 02-28-2017, 11:16 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 696 Likes on 499 Posts
Originally Posted by IracknBack

I am glad to hear he likes the motor mounts. I have been considering them for a while, but afraid they might bring too much NVH. Does your friend or the OP notice much more NVH from the diff. bushings? I have a set waiting to go on the car soon.

I also thought about a different flywheel (and maybe clutch) when my service department warrantied the slave cylinder for what turned out to be the starter. However, I read a lot of reviews and talked to a lot of people who said the flywheel just added too much NVH for a daily driver(95%)/track toy(5%).

FSTG37- If you are ok with the flywheel, you probably will not even notice the transmission mount- unless it amplifies the flywheel noise?? I have had mine for 1 1/2yrs. and it is never coming off my car. I just had the Stillen exhaust at the time and the transmission mount just made the car slightly louder- actually was at a similar frequency to the exhaust so it just seemed to make the exhaust sound a bit more burly-- bonus!
Old 02-28-2017, 11:25 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,565 Likes on 3,422 Posts
Originally Posted by 4DRZ
If you are ok with the flywheel, you probably will not even notice the transmission mount
I was thinking the same thing.

Kind of like worrying about noise from a new intake kit after you already installed a loud exhaust. Rather pointless worry.
Old 02-28-2017, 11:42 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 696 Likes on 499 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
I was thinking the same thing.

Kind of like worrying about noise from a new intake kit after you already installed a loud exhaust. Rather pointless worry.
Good point. I was so worried the Z1 intakes were going to be obnoxious after how loud you described your intakes. Even at full throttle I can barely hear them and I would not say my car is terribly loud overall.
Old 02-28-2017, 12:39 PM
FSTG37

Originally Posted by 4DRZ
I am glad to hear he likes the motor mounts. I have been considering them for a while, but afraid they might bring too much NVH. Does your friend or the OP notice much more NVH from the diff. bushings? I have a set waiting to go on the car soon.

I also thought about a different flywheel (and maybe clutch) when my service department warrantied the slave cylinder for what turned out to be the starter. However, I read a lot of reviews and talked to a lot of people who said the flywheel just added too much NVH for a daily driver(95%)/track toy(5%).

FSTG37- If you are ok with the flywheel, you probably will not even notice the transmission mount- unless it amplifies the flywheel noise?? I have had mine for 1 1/2yrs. and it is never coming off my car. I just had the Stillen exhaust at the time and the transmission mount just made the car slightly louder- actually was at a similar frequency to the exhaust so it just seemed to make the exhaust sound a bit more burly-- bonus!

I don't think I have any NVH from the Whiteline diff bushings but I could be wrong. At cruising speeds and the windows up the interior is nice and quiet for the most part. If I burp the throttle I hear my exhaust over everything. Also while driving you can't hear the flywheel noise. If I'm shifting hard, I've had a handful of people ask me if I'm boosted as it makes a blow off noise. It's weird. I love the flywheel and clutch though. It is noisy at idle in drivethru's, etc. People probably think I have a rod about to come thru the hood... I think of it as "because racecar"... Ha
Old 03-16-2017, 10:19 PM
RxRyanM
Registered Member

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts
Car looks good, man! How do you feel about your Nittos? I know it's dumb to pick a tire based on tread design, but theirs is just so cool haha.

Search this Thread