Build Threads

Build Thread Number 2, Red Sport

Old 02-21-2017, 01:24 PM
'11G37S
A 1/4 mile @ a time

Received 173 Likes on 153 Posts
Originally Posted by Daddy Fat Sacs
Wow, man that does not sound like anything I was expecting! Hopefully it breaks in alittle more, but I agree....I'd be looking for some down pipes!

I did get mine installed this past weekend, I left my Stillen HFC's on for now and it just screams. I believe I will cut back just a tad and put the oem cats back on.

Oh and the black tips look great!

It's still a little too quiet for my taste. But I might have the funds this year for either an intake (probably Stillen) or down pipes (probably FI). Haven't really decided which way to go yet, more than likely intakes first, then down pipes.

You installed your GTHaus with Stillen HFC's? That should be loud as hell. How's the rasp?

Originally Posted by Goonz
I feel once you start going down the road to replace lower down pipes and etc, you should seriously start considering a tune. I know for upper down pipes it's a must but for lower it should also be the same.
I want to get a tune once I have the exhaust on (done), intake, down pipes, intake manifold (assuming one is made or if the GTR one will fit). I know upper down pipes it is a requirement because it'll throw a CEL code because it replaces 4 cats, instead of the 2 cats the lowers replace.

Last edited by '11G37S; 02-22-2017 at 04:39 AM.
Old 02-22-2017, 07:05 AM
Daddy Fat Sacs
Registered Member

Received 357 Likes on 249 Posts
Originally Posted by '11G37S
It's still a little too quiet for my taste. But I might have the funds this year for either an intake (probably Stillen) or down pipes (probably FI). Haven't really decided which way to go yet, more than likely intakes first, then down pipes.

You installed your GTHaus with Stillen HFC's? That should be loud as hell. How's the rasp?
That video is my car and the setup. I dont think the rasp is bad at all. Theres only a slight hint of it and its only for about 200rpm's, the rest is clean and exotic.

Anything coming up next anytime soon?
Old 02-22-2017, 08:14 AM
'11G37S
A 1/4 mile @ a time

That video is my car and the setup. I dont think the rasp is bad at all. Theres only a slight hint of it and its only for about 200rpm's, the rest is clean and exotic.

Anything coming up next anytime soon?
The video sounds good, quite a bit louder than the Q50 GTHaus.

If you don't have one yet I would recommend the Motordyne M370 and Takeda long tube intake. When I added both to my G with the GTHaus it deepened the sound quite a bit. It sounded great.

Next up is the RSR springs that are currently sitting in my garage. I took the wheels off on Sunday to do a deep clean, clay and wax, and put my 15mm spacers on the rear, but when I got to the front I didn't have the cover for my jack stands to keep from folding over the welded seams at the jack point, so it will have to wait till this weekend. I will say it looks a little weird right now with pristine wheels in the rear with spacers and dirty wheels in the front without spacers.

Hopefully if the weather isn't too cold this weekend I'll start paint correcting. I think it'll be in the mid 40's.
Old 02-22-2017, 08:18 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,571 Likes on 3,422 Posts
The video sounds good, quite a bit louder than the Q50 GTHaus.
It certainly is. However, he also has Stillen's non-resonated, high-flow cats as components of his exhaust. Apparently he's going back to OEM cats this weekend. They will probably tamp down the racket in a noticeable way.

Kirk, that quick start and idle video sounded wonderful. It was your launch down the road that seemed tame. Give yourself some time. Heightened expectations can really mess with your head.

I didn't have the cover for my jack stands to keep from folding over the welded seams at the jack point.
1. Hockey puck

2. Still much ado about nothing.

Last edited by Rochester; 02-22-2017 at 08:24 AM.
Old 02-22-2017, 10:46 AM
'11G37S
A 1/4 mile @ a time

Originally Posted by Rochester
It certainly is. However, he also has Stillen's non-resonated, high-flow cats as components of his exhaust. Apparently he's going back to OEM cats this weekend. They will probably tamp down the racket in a noticeable way.

Kirk, that quick start and idle video sounded wonderful. It was your launch down the road that seemed tame. Give yourself some time. Heightened expectations can really mess with your head.
I have about 500 miles on the system right now. Give it another 500 miles or so and I'll go to the same spot and do the same pull and see if there is much of a difference. Either way it's here to stay. I still really enjoy it and that's all that really matters.

1. Hockey puck

I ended up buying these from Harbor Freight during their Presidents' Day sale for about $6 for a set of 2. Haven't tried them out yet, but more than likely will this weekend.

http://m.harborfreight.com/rubber-pa...-pc-63373.html
Old 02-25-2017, 05:09 PM
Goonz
Premier Member

Received 60 Likes on 54 Posts
1. Hockey puck

Hoowww? Cutting a line through the puck? Show us your setup jack set up?
Old 02-25-2017, 05:37 PM
'11G37S
A 1/4 mile @ a time

I believe this is what John was talking about. Still might have to pick one up for the floor jack. You can either spend about $9 on one pre-made or you can buy a hockey puck and Dremel one out to fit the pinch welds.

Old 02-25-2017, 05:39 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,571 Likes on 3,422 Posts
It's an old trick, Goonz. Cut a groove in a hockey puck. Hacksaw a couple of half inch cuts and dig it out with a flat screwdriver or whatever. Think about it for a moment and you'll figure it out. Hockey pucks cost virtually nothing. Walmart.

You don't want to see my floor jack... probably 40 years old, covered in rust, but it was free, it's a riduculously heavy 2-ton, and it works.
Old 02-25-2017, 08:34 PM
Goonz
Premier Member

It's an old trick, Goonz. Cut a groove in a hockey puck. Hacksaw a couple of half inch cuts and dig it out with a flat screwdriver or whatever. Think about it for a moment and you'll figure it out. Hockey pucks cost virtually nothing. Walmart.

You don't want to see my floor jack... probably 40 years old, covered in rust, but it was free, it's a riduculously heavy 2-ton, and it works.
Yea I think I may have to do this, I struggle trying to find the right spot to rest jack stands on. Obviously it varies depending on the car you have but normally for me a floor jack will only be used when switching out winter wheels with summer wheels. I'll go grab a hockey puck a nice low profile 2-ton floor jack from harbor freight.

Also, I returned the OEM sport Infiniti muffler unopened so I avoided the restocking fee thankfully. I did not go with a full cat-back setup therefore no Fast Intentions. I picked up Tanabe Medallion having previously owned it in my previous coupe and absolutely loving it. Can't wait to get it installed and for those beautiful 4" Tanabe tips.

Last edited by Goonz; 02-25-2017 at 08:39 PM.
Old 03-02-2017, 10:51 PM
Goonz
Premier Member

My twin Red Sport thread has gone silent! I hope he returns with some pics of his RS-R springs

Btw, I had my Tanabe Medalion installed, man does it look sexy and sound great. Nothing like yours obviously by perfect to my liking. I apologize in advance if I'm hijacking your thread, I'm just living vicariously through this thread

Name:  4unnamed.jpeg
Views: 246
Size:  141.7 KB

Name:  5unnamed.jpeg
Views: 243
Size:  230.8 KB
Old 03-03-2017, 08:37 AM
Daddy Fat Sacs
Registered Member

Received 357 Likes on 249 Posts
not to hijack the thread, Tanabe has always has some of the best looking tips, just the sound is way to weak for my liking.
Old 03-03-2017, 01:07 PM
'11G37S
A 1/4 mile @ a time

My twin Red Sport thread has gone silent! I hope he returns with some pics of his RS-R springs

Btw, I had my Tanabe Medalion installed, man does it look sexy and sound great. Nothing like yours obviously by perfect to my liking. I apologize in advance if I'm hijacking your thread, I'm just living vicariously through this thread

Haha. I haven't been able to get the springs installed yet. I bought a gloss black grille off a group buy ($175 shipped, I can get you the hook up if you're interested, it's OE quality) that I am having installed later today. I'd do it myself but I'm worried about having to take the front bumper off and scratching the paint. But hopefully the springs will be installed later this month.

I don't mind the hijacking. It's good conversation! Heck, this could be a Red Sport build thread, doesn't have to be just mine for all I care!

I didn't even know Tanabe had an exhaust for this car. There's really not much out there specific to the 3.0t. How did it change the sound? Throatier?

I'm trying to find a strut bar for the 3.0t right now. Not much luck, plus I believe Hotchkis just came out with a set of seats for the Red Sport.

Have you seen/heard about the Infiniti Black Sport? 500hp 3.0t hybrid.

Name:  6E14FDCB-E290-4035-A203-4A291032E240.jpg
Views: 226
Size:  65.7 KB

https://www.google.com/amp/jalopnik....1792931378/amp

not to hijack the thread, Tanabe has always has some of the best looking tips, just the sound is way to weak for my liking.
I'm partial to the GTHaus tips, but I do really like how the Tanabe tips almost completely fill the cut outs. Looks great.
Old 03-03-2017, 07:21 PM
'11G37S
A 1/4 mile @ a time

Had my all black grille installed today. I absolutely love it. I'm amazed how much more aggressive the front end looks now.

Name:  5AE4C1E3-22DA-414A-8A5D-717CC5AFE99F.jpg
Views: 235
Size:  143.5 KB
Old 03-03-2017, 08:28 PM
bridgengineer

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Had my all black grille installed today. I absolutely love it. I'm amazed how much more aggressive the front end looks now.
That looks great! I wonder why I like it so much...

Build Thread Number 2, Red Sport-photo448.jpg
Old 03-03-2017, 08:43 PM
'11G37S
A 1/4 mile @ a time

Originally Posted by bridgengineer
That looks great! I wonder why I like it so much...

Attachment 127135
Haha. I could only imagine...

Search this Thread