Build Threads

Project Practicality

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2016, 09:34 PM
ZahyMatar
Registered Member

Received 339 Likes on 233 Posts
Originally Posted by Dembflyr
I played around with my cheap iPad app again. I'm trying to decide what to do with my front grill down the road so I'm trying out some things.

+1 for this!!!

I have yet to see a Vibrant Red G with the grille painted that way... I'd love an emblemless grille as well
Old 10-29-2016, 09:53 PM
Dembflyr
Registered Member

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by ZahyMatar
+1 for this!!!

I have yet to see a Vibrant Red G with the grille painted that way... I'd love an emblemless grille as well

I really like this look. With or without the emblem. I think I like it a little better without but that might be more expensive than I'm willing to go. I have all winter to ponder this.

If I go emblem less then all chrome has to go with the exception of the exhaust tips.

The other option is to leave the emblem and the fog light rings chrome. Then I'd probably leave the headlight projector cover in chrome and do the rest of the headlight in gunmetal.
Old 10-29-2016, 10:41 PM
ZahyMatar
Registered Member

I really like this look. With or without the emblem. I think I like it a little better without but that might be more expensive than I'm willing to go. I have all winter to ponder this.

If I go emblem less then all chrome has to go with the exception of the exhaust tips.

The other option is to leave the emblem and the fog light rings chrome. Then I'd probably leave the headlight projector cover in chrome and do the rest of the headlight in gunmetal.
Decisions, decisions. I'll let you do it first to see how it goes.
Old 10-30-2016, 08:20 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,573 Likes on 3,424 Posts
I did that with my grille a few years ago. No regrets at all. Kept the Fuji.

Going commando without the Fuji could be a much bigger project.

Last edited by Rochester; 10-30-2016 at 04:37 PM.
Old 12-07-2016, 03:06 PM
Dembflyr
Registered Member

I didn't think I'd be able to hold off putting the winter tires on til this late but it looks like snow is on the way so they went on today.

Not a bad look for a winter set if I do say so myself.

I also took the opportunity to really clean the calipers and put a coat of wax on them. They are holding up really well. This winter will be the real test though.
I'll report back with my thoughts about the x-ice tires.

And I did one more small mod. I added the tail as turn module a few weeks ago.
I'll never see it in action but I know it looks better.

Last edited by Dembflyr; 12-07-2016 at 08:48 PM.
Old 12-07-2016, 07:26 PM
Kris9884

Received 202 Likes on 186 Posts
Looks super clean man! I like the home made engine dress bolts. I've got another car to daily and rally so this kinda makes me sad, I may take the G out in the snow once or twice lol
The following users liked this post:
Dembflyr (12-07-2016)
Old 12-08-2016, 11:07 AM
Fritz

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
man I've been lurking on the forums for a while now especially when I had my G37S Coupe but now that I have the G37S Sedan i've been looking at different builds and cant believe this is my first time seeing this one. Very clean and subtle, nice job man!
Old 12-08-2016, 11:32 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Hey OP, have you seen Vivid's newly painted grille? (nudge nudge)

...and mine, just to tease you, man.

Last edited by Rochester; 12-08-2016 at 12:13 PM.
Old 12-08-2016, 01:06 PM
Dembflyr
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Fritz
man I've been lurking on the forums for a while now especially when I had my G37S Coupe but now that I have the G37S Sedan i've been looking at different builds and cant believe this is my first time seeing this one. Very clean and subtle, nice job man!
Thanks for the kind words.

Originally Posted by Rochester
Hey OP, have you seen Vivid's newly painted grille? (nudge nudge)

...and mine, just to tease you, man.

Looks better on the white but not bad on the red either. I'll have to keep my eyes open for an extra factory grill just in case I don't like it in person.
Old 12-08-2016, 11:09 PM
Gregor12
Registered Member

Received 111 Likes on 78 Posts
Nice wheels bro... lol I always wondered if you were on this forum or not! The car looks amazing man. I also came some a 6MT 370z, I miss the drive but I still love the sedan. I look forward to your future mods!! Happy modding
Old 12-09-2016, 07:17 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Looks better on the white but not bad on the red either.
I've seen a picture of this same approach on a Graphite Shadow Sedan, and it was fantastic. Honestly, I suspect it looks great on every Sedan, regardless of color. IMO, Infiniti dropped the design ball on their front grille, Midnight Grille notwithstanding.
Old 12-10-2016, 03:12 AM
ZahyMatar
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Rochester
I've seen a picture of this same approach on a Graphite Shadow Sedan, and it was fantastic. Honestly, I suspect it looks great on every Sedan, regardless of color. IMO, Infiniti dropped the design ball on their front grille, Midnight Grille notwithstanding.
I was partial to it on the VR sedan at first, but now I'm hooked. Sending my grille off in Spring 2017 for the emblemless modification and to be painted A54 and gloss black.
Old 12-10-2016, 07:52 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by ZahyMatar
I was partial to it on the VR sedan at first, but now I'm hooked. Sending my grille off in Spring 2017 for the emblemless modification and to be painted A54 and gloss black.
Solid plan. That will look beautiful, Z. When I first saw this grille mod years ago, I was dumbstruck with gottahaveit.

BTW, I selected a fine metallic flake for the gloss black, which I believe is how the midnight grille is painted.
Old 12-13-2016, 10:49 PM
Dembflyr
Registered Member

Got about 4 inches of snow today. I had to try out the new tires. I'm impressed. The roads were not good as the ability to clear roads of snow here in central Indiana eludes them.
So does the ability to drive in the stuff for others. The highway was closed for over 3 hours due to a 10 car pile up. Then just as they got that cleared another multi car accident occurred.
As far as the x ice tires, the grip was good and the car felt very stable. I was having a good time until a SUV going in the opposite direction lost control because she went off the right side of the road and over corrected. She was sliding right at me sideways. Luckily we both were able to stop before both our days were ruined. So big plus for winter tires.

On my next outing of the day I decided to take the wife's Highlander and not risk exposing the G to the early season drivers. The all seasons on that vehicle suck! I was far more comfortable in the G. The Highlander couldn't stop for ****.

So, just a little taste but so far I'm very happy I made the investment in winter tires and didn't just cheap out for some all seasons.
Old 02-22-2017, 02:54 PM
Dembflyr
Registered Member

I picked up a used K&N Typhoon SRI.
They were pretty dirty and obviously the wrong color for my engine bay.

I took full advantage of the unseasonably warm weather here in central Indiana to fix that. Nothing a few hours some fantastic, sandpaper and paint couldn't fix.

I had no idea this would drown out my exhaust at full volume.

Quick Reply: Project Practicality