Build Threads

"Rarity" - 2013 MW Sedan 6MT

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2017, 01:47 PM
10infiniti37s
Registered Member

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by IracknBack
Installed and wrapped my front lip this weekend. also got the entire car ceramic coated.

This is the 2nd place I've posted the same picture of it so apologies to Rochester for double dipping. I know you hate it my friend. Hahaha

This car is sick now, but even more menacing without the front plate. Silly laws...

The following users liked this post:
IracknBack (03-13-2017)
Old 03-13-2017, 12:38 AM
ZahyMatar
Registered Member

Received 339 Likes on 233 Posts
Originally Posted by 10infiniti37s
This car is sick now, but even more menacing without the front plate. Silly laws...

+1 on this, most cops don't really care if you have a front plate or not. Worse case scenario, you get like a $25 ticket.
Old 03-13-2017, 01:10 AM
IracknBack
Premier Member

Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts
I agree. Couple weeks ago I took the bracket off. There are 2 monster holes in it. Was held on by 3/8 screws for some stupid reason and the metal is bent outward. I'll need a solid patch job plus a front bumper rewrap to do it. Will eventually get a stillen plate offset mount or stick the plate in the grill below. Love the edit to show what it would look like without though. Thanks!

On another note. I ordered my red/black shift boot too short. Threw it away and ordered a black one with white piping instead. Also ordered a TWM shirt shifter. Very excited.
Old 03-13-2017, 01:13 AM
ZahyMatar
Registered Member

Received 339 Likes on 233 Posts
I agree. Couple weeks ago I took the bracket off. There are 2 monster holes in it. Was held on by 3/8 screws for some stupid reason and the metal is bent outward. I'll need a solid patch job plus a front bumper rewrap to do it. Will eventually get a stillen plate offset mount or stick the plate in the grill below. Love the edit to show what it would look like without though. Thanks!

On another note. I ordered my red/black shift boot too short. Threw it away and ordered a black one with white piping instead. Also ordered a TWM shirt shifter. Very excited.
Why not just cover up the holes with paint-matched bumper plugs? Won't be too noticeable, will just look like some extra sensors.
Old 03-13-2017, 05:15 PM
IracknBack
Premier Member

Originally Posted by ZahyMatar
Why not just cover up the holes with paint-matched bumper plugs? Won't be too noticeable, will just look like some extra sensors.

because 1st of all, my car is vinyl wrapped now, not painted.
also because it would require the metal to be shaved down first pretty significantly and it would absolutely not look like sensors. cops may not give tickets for cars without plates if there are no holes/abilities to mount a plate. but purposely removing the plate here they will absolutely nail you for.

The only way to do it cleanly is to remove the wrap, fill / sand the holes, and then rewrap. I will eventually but I want a hood, trunk, diffuser first.
Old 03-23-2017, 02:59 PM
IracknBack
Premier Member

Yesterday I got my short throw shifter from TWM installed.
Also took a pic at the Twanoh state park boat launch the other day.
Old 03-23-2017, 03:01 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,573 Likes on 3,424 Posts
Yesterday I got my short throw shifter installed by TWM.
The manufacturer did the install? Guess you live next-door to them, huh?

Thoughts on the STS, comments?
Old 03-23-2017, 03:01 PM
IracknBack
Premier Member

The short throw shifter is IMO the best bang for buck mod possible. $240 total and it completely changes the entire vehicle. It's a bit sticky at first. I put about 85 miles on it yesterday with mostly highway driving. but I can rest my hand on the area in front of the seat controls and never lift it again shifting through all 6 gears. it is just better in every way. and I have the Z1 tranny mount so it feels so firm and mechanical. I cannot recommend it enough. it lowered the height of the shifter to the perfect level. best $ I've spent on the car to date.
Old 03-23-2017, 03:03 PM
IracknBack
Premier Member

Originally Posted by Rochester
The manufacturer did the install? Guess you live next-door to them, huh?

Thoughts on the STS, comments?
haha. edited post to clear that up. totally read wrong. oops. no I had my go to shop install it.

and I put my comments right below before I saw you inquire. Best mod yet!
Old 03-23-2017, 03:05 PM
Rochester
Administrator

It reads like you are digging the lowered height as well, which is good because that isn't going to change without some customization effort.

Happy for you. Enjoy.
Old 03-23-2017, 03:10 PM
IracknBack
Premier Member

It reads like you are digging the lowered height as well, which is good because that isn't going to change without some customization effort.

Happy for you. Enjoy.
were you not feeling the lowered height?
I have a TWM hybrid shift **** that I am increasingly more leaning toward switching back to. the only reason I haven't is because I have as many Tommy Kaira parts as possible. But the TWM has about a full 2 inches of height adjustability and it just looks/feels better imo. plus it is impervious to heat/cold......
Old 03-23-2017, 03:25 PM
Rochester
Administrator

were you not feeling the lowered height?
Well, it felt absolutely fine. I had no problem with the ergonomics. But the look of having the **** sunk 3/4" into the boot was... awkward.

So I had LatheWerks cut me a custom stand-off.

Old 03-23-2017, 03:59 PM
IracknBack
Premier Member

Well, it felt absolutely fine. I had no problem with the ergonomics. But the look of having the **** sunk 3/4" into the boot was... awkward.

So I had LatheWerks cut me a custom stand-off.

oh yes, I do remember that. I'm still unsure what to do about my boot situation. I had ordered a redline boot that was 2 inches shorter than OEM but accidentally ruined it prior to installed the STS. so have a standard length one on the way now but still leaning toward just creating a square box around my shifter and leaving the accordion style rubber that sits at the bottom of the shaft as the top of it meets the bottom of the TK shifter perfectly. we'll see.
Old 03-27-2017, 11:20 AM
IracknBack
Premier Member

So Rochester, I ordered my 2nd Redline boot. the first was what I thought too short and I accidentally ruined it when trying to fit it on. so I tossed it. then I ordered a standard height one which as you know I'm sure is too long for the now lowered height. I refuse to throw away another $75 and had that hideous 4inch extender you hated. I can't get myself to use it so am having a machine shop cut it down to 1.75-2 inches maybe.

how long was your standoff?
Old 03-27-2017, 11:37 AM
Rochester
Administrator

how long was your standoff?
I can't find the emails or file documents from the project, and I'm not going to take my stuff apart to measure... sorry. I suspect 1" on the shaft, and 3/4" on the threaded extension. Obviously, that doesn't mean 1.75" total, because the STS tip is threaded inside the standoff.

So, in approximate numbers, you want to raise things somewhere around 3/4" to 1.0".

Last edited by Rochester; 03-27-2017 at 04:09 PM.
The following users liked this post:
IracknBack (03-27-2017)

Quick Reply: "Rarity" - 2013 MW Sedan 6MT