Build Threads

TannerGs Build

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2016, 12:13 PM
TannerG

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Thanks guys for the input. So I think what im going to do is paint the other parts of the trim but vinyl the trim around the doors. Glad I asked!
Old 03-24-2016, 12:25 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
Originally Posted by TannerG
Thanks guys for the input. So I think what im going to do is paint the other parts of the trim but vinyl the trim around the doors. Glad I asked!
I used gloss-black vinyl on the beltline window trim, but left the chrome trim untouched as it arches over the windows. It's an interesting look, and certainly a lot easier to do than the entire trim.

You might want to start there. If you like it, stop, otherwise keep going.

If you want to know what that would look like before you head out to eBay and start a big project, just whip out a roll of electrical tape, slap it on and step back. Not as a finished item, obviously, just to get a sense of whether or not you like it.
Old 03-24-2016, 12:36 PM
TannerG

Originally Posted by Rochester
I used gloss-black vinyl on the beltline window trim, but left the chrome trim untouched as it arches over the windows. It's an interesting look, and certainly a lot easier to do than the entire trim.

You might want to start there. If you like it, stop, otherwise keep going.

If you want to know what that would look like before you head out to eBay and start a big project, just whip out a roll of electrical tape, slap it on and step back. Not as a finished item, obviously, just to get a sense of whether or not you like it.
Yeah I like the look of it on your car...Hm I think ill start there to see what I think like you said. Im going to paint the Grille, possibly the trunk lip, the Fuji and the G37 in black. Im going to vinyl the beltline trim like you said and paint the X with a dark metallic blue. Id like to figure out a way to a design on the Fuji w/ that same blue on front and back to make it stand out. I might even just pain the Fuji blue...Havent decided yet and really putting a lot of thought into it because I don't want to be the next ricer noob but I like the thought of having some color.
Old 03-24-2016, 12:41 PM
Rochester
Administrator

If you're still weighing opinions... I strongly recommend you paint the chrome trunk lip to match the car, instead of black.
Old 03-24-2016, 12:43 PM
TannerG

If you're still weighing opinions... I strongly recommend you paint the chrome trunk lip to match the car, instead of black.
Yeah I probably am. Wish there was a way to buy paint matched to the body of the car w/o spending 100+ on having a body shop just paint one small part of the car.

Trying to find an example of someone who matched the lip to the body and am having a tough time of it.

Maybe ill just go for the OEM spoiler...

Last edited by TannerG; 03-24-2016 at 12:53 PM.
Old 03-24-2016, 12:57 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Wish there was a way to buy paint matched to the body of the car w/o spending 100+ on having a body shop just paint one small part of the car.
Just one example, there are others:

Automotive Spray Paint custom matched | Aerosol Touch Up | AutomotiveTouchup

And if you ask me, I think $100 is a reasonable cost to have that trim piece perfectly and professionally painted. But that's only because I don't have the skills, and I'm too lazy to work on acquiring them. That said, just because you go to a body shop is no guarantee in of itself that you get a perfect job done. It's only more likely than otherwise.

Last edited by Rochester; 03-24-2016 at 01:03 PM.
The following users liked this post:
TannerG (03-24-2016)
Old 03-24-2016, 01:11 PM
TannerG

And if you ask me, I think $100 is a reasonable cost to have that trim piece perfectly and professionally painted. But that's only because I don't have the skills, and I'm too lazy to work on acquiring them. That said, just because you go to a body shop is no guarantee in of itself that you get a perfect job done. It's only more likely than otherwise.
Thanks for that. Luckily my buddy has both the skills experience and the tools to make it work.
Old 03-24-2016, 01:17 PM
TannerG

Do you think my idea of the accent color would be too much? Have you seen that sort of thing tastefully done here on the forums w/o it looking ricey?
Old 03-24-2016, 01:21 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Do you think my idea of the accent color would be too much? Have you seen that sort of thing tastefully done here on the forums w/o it looking ricey?
Yes, it will look tacky. But Tanner, this is not my car, and my opinions on what is or isn't tasteful are just that... my opinions. You do whatever you want, man.

If I like it, I'll tell you so and why. If I don't like it, I'll tell you so and why. Or maybe I won't say anything at all. It's a car forum, after all.
Old 03-24-2016, 01:23 PM
TannerG

Yes, it will look tacky. But Tanner, this is not my car, and my opinions on what is or isn't tasteful are just that... my opinions. You do whatever you want, man.

If I like it, I'll tell you so and why. If I don't like it, I'll tell you so and why. Or maybe I won't say anything at all. It's a car forum, after all.
Yeah I know but you've seen a lot more people doing this stuff over the years than I have and I want to get the opinion from someone who has been around a lot longer than me on the forums. Im sure you've seen some great builds but then im sure you've seen plenty of people who made their cars look like the dream car of a 13 year old lol. Just wanted your insight, thanks for the ideas.
Old 03-24-2016, 10:56 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Yeah I know but you've seen a lot more people doing this stuff over the years than I have and I want to get the opinion from someone who has been around a lot longer than me on the forums. Im sure you've seen some great builds but then im sure you've seen plenty of people who made their cars look like the dream car of a 13 year old lol. Just wanted your insight, thanks for the ideas.
Here's a tastefully done badge for an idea (the green isn't my cup of tea, but the way it was done is )
Old 03-25-2016, 10:38 AM
TannerG

Originally Posted by blnewt
Here's a tastefully done badge for an idea (the green isn't my cup of tea, but the way it was done is )
Yeah thats exactly what i was thinking about doing just not sure how that person did it so well. Ill try my hand at it.
And Can you tell if that fuji is still chrome or is it black? Its hard to tell in the picture.

Last edited by TannerG; 03-25-2016 at 10:51 AM.
Old 03-25-2016, 11:21 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Yeah thats exactly what i was thinking about doing just not sure how that person did it so well. Ill try my hand at it.
And Can you tell if that fuji is still chrome or is it black? Its hard to tell in the picture.
Pretty sure that's JP. He's highly skilled, and actually as good (or better) than he thinks he is. If you go look around at some of his stuff, you'd agree the label "artist" is appropriate. The guy is proud of his work, and has a right to be, IMO.

Would that look good on your car if your grille (or just the slats) were gloss black? You know, I think it would. Although probably not in Batman Green.

Years ago, I saw an example online of a midnight grille where the chrome perimeter was painted the color of the car. I just about flipped for it. Printed a picture, and it sat on my desk forever until I pulled the trigger, found a shop to do the work, coughed up the money, etc. My point being... whatever you want to do here can work with patience and effort, with emphasis on patience.
Old 03-25-2016, 02:27 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
In that pic the fuji is gloss black, and that would be JPs work, and like John said, he's a zenmaster w/ the paint skills.

Good thing about that "mod" is a new grill badge is only like 30 bucks so you could buy a couple and mess around with a couple different ideas.
Old 03-25-2016, 05:32 PM
TannerG

Thanks for the input guys. I'm going to give it a shot and take my time.

Quick Reply: TannerGs Build