Build Threads

G37x Sedan owner intro & build thread in Cincinnati

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2015, 07:48 AM
jfisher
Registered Member

Received 57 Likes on 51 Posts
G37x Sedan owner intro & build thread in Cincinnati

Picked up a 2010 G37X sedan about a week and a half ago. The car has higher miles at 93k, but was a one owner car and doesn't have a single dent in the car. I need to give the paint a good detail, but it should clean up very nicely.

So far I've added:
-20% tint all around
-18x9.5 TSW Cadwells with BFG Comp 2 275/40's
-D2 RS Coilovers (awaiting the replacement front struts before I can install the set)

My previous car was a Chevy Cruze so this, to me, is quite an upgrade. The extra room and the 7AT were what I was after most so that is really nice. The gas mileage is about half of what I used to get, but I also knew that going into it. On my first full tank I averaged right at 21.9mpg with right around 50/50 driving.

Future plans are:

-SPC front upper control arms and an SPC rear camber kit so I can get the car as low as I want it. I'm going to drop it as far as I can while keeping the car level and using the stock parts to get the car into alignment.
-Megan resonated test pipes
-Ark CBE
-Uprev tune
-Some better looking 19" wheels. These TSW's weren't my first choice, but I swapped them for my stock 17's with a local guy that wanted a staggered setup for his 08 G35 non X.

Look forward to continuing to dig around on the form and learn more about these cars!
Attached Thumbnails G37x Sedan owner intro & build thread in Cincinnati-2010-g37.jpg  
Old 09-03-2015, 10:08 AM
R1 Dan G37

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
New G37x Sedan owner from Cincinnati

Welcome to the forum man! Car looks awesome, the mpg sounds like that's almost the best you'll get, I have a xs coupe and being mainly conservative I got 22 but for what the car is in the end of the day it's still great. Keep up the good work so far car looks clean
Old 09-03-2015, 09:54 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Nice intro J, I know you've been around a while now and have asked the right questions along the way.
Hopefully you can get those coils rebuilt to an as-new condition and can start lowering that X. If you need any wheel assistance just give a shout out. Interested to hear how you like that exhaust combo, should surely add some edge to that G.
Look forward to your progress, might even get a buld thread going while you're at it.
Brad
Old 09-04-2015, 08:39 AM
jfisher
Registered Member

Originally Posted by blnewt
Nice intro J, I know you've been around a while now and have asked the right questions along the way.
Hopefully you can get those coils rebuilt to an as-new condition and can start lowering that X. If you need any wheel assistance just give a shout out. Interested to hear how you like that exhaust combo, should surely add some edge to that G.
Look forward to your progress, might even get a buld thread going while you're at it.
Brad
I've got the front coilovers disassembled and am anxiously awaiting the new struts. They're supposed to be here 9/9. The rears are ready to go although I'm not really sure where to start with ride height on the coilovers themselves. The rears will be easy to adjust, but the fronts I'm a little worried about.

I'm also a little worried about my window trim vinyl. I ordered through Autoanything early last week and I've got a bad tracking number with no email or phone response from them... I've already gotten several things in the mail that I ordered after the vinyl.
Old 09-04-2015, 09:35 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Originally Posted by jfisher
I've got the front coilovers disassembled and am anxiously awaiting the new struts. They're supposed to be here 9/9. The rears are ready to go although I'm not really sure where to start with ride height on the coilovers themselves. The rears will be easy to adjust, but the fronts I'm a little worried about.

I'm also a little worried about my window trim vinyl. I ordered through Autoanything early last week and I've got a bad tracking number with no email or phone response from them... I've already gotten several things in the mail that I ordered after the vinyl.
Hopefully you'll get that trim issue ironed out.
As far as the front coilovers, you can use your front OEM struts as a starting point (length-wise) and go from there. Start out with about an inch shorter, install them and see how it sets, just snug up the mounting bolts, then it'll be easy to remove and readjust the height to where you finally want it. I'd go about 1/4" higher than what you really want as they tend to settle just a bit (not as much as lowering springs however). Once you find a height that you're happy with then torque everything down to spec.
You can also do one side at a time if you don't have all the jacking tools to safely raise the entire front.
Old 09-04-2015, 01:14 PM
jfisher
Registered Member

Hopefully you'll get that trim issue ironed out.
As far as the front coilovers, you can use your front OEM struts as a starting point (length-wise) and go from there. Start out with about an inch shorter, install them and see how it sets, just snug up the mounting bolts, then it'll be easy to remove and readjust the height to where you finally want it. I'd go about 1/4" higher than what you really want as they tend to settle just a bit (not as much as lowering springs however). Once you find a height that you're happy with then torque everything down to spec.
You can also do one side at a time if you don't have all the jacking tools to safely raise the entire front.
I will definitely give that a try. Makes sense for sure. I have this thought in my head that it will be a complete pita to adjust the fronts with how the struts fit into the "hole" on the control arm / spindle. I think once I actually start tackling the job I'll be able to picture it better. The rears will be cake to adjust.
Old 09-05-2015, 04:12 AM
carid
Former Sponsor

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Welcome to the forum and congrats on your purchase. The car looks great and I'm sure it will be getting only better with everything you've planned on it. Good luck and keep us posted!
Old 09-06-2015, 05:40 PM
deky_

Hello jfisher and welcome! Here is a picture of my ride, it might give you an idea for some 19" wheels. It's a '11 G37X, wheels are 19" Avantgarde M368, the car is lowered on Swift Springs. As far as I know, no one else has this setup...
Attached Thumbnails G37x Sedan owner intro & build thread in Cincinnati-img_0175.jpg  
Old 09-08-2015, 08:49 AM
jfisher
Registered Member

Car looks good! 19's will be in my future... If only the guy on here selling the 370z Rays 19" wheels will respond to me lol.

I ordered up the Megan resonated test pipes today. I'm debating if I want to take a shot at installing them myself or just having them installed by a local shop.

I also have bad news. I was involved in a hit and run yesterday while at a local amusement park with my family. I came out to my car like this... I parked at the very end of the aisle and even parked over into the yellow "hash" to be as far away from the car next to me as possible. A woman cut the turn short and side swiped me pretty good. Luckily a witness saw the incident and reported it to the local police with the plate number. I filed a report yesterday and a warrant will be served for her in 48 hours.
Attached Thumbnails G37x Sedan owner intro & build thread in Cincinnati-g37-front-bumper-damage.jpg  
Old 09-08-2015, 11:02 AM
deky_

Oh man, that sucks. You were lucky there was an honest person who was willing to help. I hope all works out well.
Old 09-08-2015, 11:58 AM
VIVID
Pyroclastic Flow

Received 358 Likes on 277 Posts
Originally Posted by jfisher
Car looks good! 19's will be in my future... If only the guy on here selling the 370z Rays 19" wheels will respond to me lol.

I ordered up the Megan resonated test pipes today. I'm debating if I want to take a shot at installing them myself or just having them installed by a local shop.

I also have bad news. I was involved in a hit and run yesterday while at a local amusement park with my family. I came out to my car like this... I parked at the very end of the aisle and even parked over into the yellow "hash" to be as far away from the car next to me as possible. A woman cut the turn short and side swiped me pretty good. Luckily a witness saw the incident and reported it to the local police with the plate number. I filed a report yesterday and a warrant will be served for her in 48 hours.
Sorry to hear about the smashing. Glad they got the plate number. Still a PITA, though.

Regardless, welcome!!!

Sean
Old 09-08-2015, 12:25 PM
jfisher
Registered Member

Thanks! Apparently the woman hardly speaks english, but admitted to being at KI yesterday and driving the car so she is being cited. Won't know until later today whether or not she has insurance.
Old 09-08-2015, 06:52 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Good luck w/ the repair, hope it turns out as it was before. Try to install those testpipes yourself, you'll gain some cred w/ us if you can get those demaon bolts off w/out smashing your knuckles. Let us know how it goes. BTW, it doesn't matter where or how you park, these knuckleheads will find a way to sniff out your car, mine was t-boned a couple years ago when a text-er went flying over a curb going into a restaurant and landed at the side of our car. I thought parking on the end w/ a curb, a light pole, and about 5 feet of landscaping was safe
B
Old 09-09-2015, 09:34 AM
jfisher
Registered Member

Good luck w/ the repair, hope it turns out as it was before. Try to install those testpipes yourself, you'll gain some cred w/ us if you can get those demaon bolts off w/out smashing your knuckles. Let us know how it goes. BTW, it doesn't matter where or how you park, these knuckleheads will find a way to sniff out your car, mine was t-boned a couple years ago when a text-er went flying over a curb going into a restaurant and landed at the side of our car. I thought parking on the end w/ a curb, a light pole, and about 5 feet of landscaping was safe
B
LOL. Typical! Whenever I've had some crappy car I don't care about that thing never gets touched....

Heard great news last night. The woman turned herself in after she was contacted by the local police. Luckily she had insurance too so I'm working with Geico to get everything fixed. Everything will be covered. Unfortunately I don't think there is near enough damage to warrant a new sport bumper
Old 09-09-2015, 04:08 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Every once in awhile your hear something that renews your faith in mankind. Glad it's tilting in your favor now

Quick Reply: G37x Sedan owner intro & build thread in Cincinnati