Build Threads

ttv36 - 700+ rwhp Sedan Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2014, 01:16 AM
ScrewstonNismo

Received 44 Likes on 29 Posts
Texas plates, woo! You in Houston?

Ninja Edit: Dumb question, should have checked your username. Bring it out to cars & coffee!
Old 04-18-2014, 01:50 AM
monytx
Registered Member

Received 116 Likes on 109 Posts
Hope to see you around Houston. And what shop did your work?
Old 04-18-2014, 04:47 AM
RexHavoc
Premier Member

Received 163 Likes on 143 Posts
They did a nice job of molding that in. Did you relocate the backup camera? If, to where?

I dig it, definitely a bit more pronounced than my duckbill and the rest of the kit ties in nicely. Well done OP
Old 04-18-2014, 06:26 AM
Presto

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts
Looks good. Next up should be the sport front bumper
Old 04-18-2014, 08:21 AM
Schulminator

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Looks great!! More pics.....
Old 04-18-2014, 10:28 AM
ttv36
Race, repair, repeat.

Received 432 Likes on 289 Posts
2/27/2016:
I have actually been putting off taking the car back to the drag strip even though I have had the DSS axles in for a little while now. The reason? Ron was very confident that if/when the car did hook up the stock two piece drive shaft would break. As always, I value his years of experience in building/racing cars and started to search for a stronger one piece solution..

If anyone has ever tried to find a one piece driveshaft for the V36 sedan they probably ended up in the same predicament as I did - it doesn't exist! You might ask why not use a one piece driveshaft for the G37 coupe? I did too, but no one has done this and I really didn't want to buy something that large and not have it fit. Drive Shaft Shop wouldn't let me know the length of their one piece driveshaft for the G37 coupe (trade secret?), but I was finally able roughly measure my driveshaft and ask them if they were the same size to which I was only told "Nope it's too long, it wouldn't work."

In the end, the proper solution was to completely remove the driveshaft, measure it exactly, and custom order one from Drive Shaft Shop. About a month after measuring and ordering it finally arrived and today it was installed:
ttv36 - 700+ rwhp Sedan Build Thread-eagintt.jpg
ttv36 - 700+ rwhp Sedan Build Thread-hlojzld.jpg

Tonight was finally the night I could hit up the track! After installing the driveshaft, spot checking the car, and throwing the track wheels on I headed off!
But, after driving an hour to the track I find that it was closed in preparation for an event tomorrow! I guess I should've called first..

In conclusion, if anyone is wanting/needing a one piece driveshaft the guinea pig work has been done and the specs are now with Drive Shaft Shop!

5/20/2016:
Will update soon, for now here's a video

8/2/2016:
Car still isn't running as it should since the clutch has been slipping since March but I couldn't resist the itch. Have been waiting on maintenance parts and should have them soon..

9/5/2016:
A lap from this past weekend's track day at MSR Houston.

I ended the weekend at MSR with some yard work:

Apparently a Carbon Signal lip is not good for mowing the lawn..
ttv36 - 700+ rwhp Sedan Build Thread-kbvdgr6.jpg

9/20/2016:
Alright, I guess it's time I stop being lazy and actually update the thread. Life has taken a higher priority so car activities (and funds) have gone down quite dramatically this year.

I will begin with the DSS driveshaft - the car seemed to drive fine after installing the driveshaft but when I got up to 90 mph there was an annoying vibration which only got worse as speed increased. By 120mph the car felt like it was going to wobble itself sideways. After removing the driveshaft there were plenty of gouges on one side which meant it was either not true (straight) or it was unbalanced. Sorry, I have since gotten a new phone and I don't have access to my backup pictures right now to show the gouges as they are on my desktop, in a box, in a storage unit.

After putting the stock driveshaft back on, the one piece was sent to back to DSS for them to check it and/or rebalance. DSS had turned the driveshaft around pretty quick, but I figured I would hold off on opening the box and installing it until I got my new clutch...

You see, my Southbend Stage 3 Drag had began to slip after a few months at 713whp/680wtq. So, around the time I sent the driveshaft back to DSS (March) I had placed an order with a local 'business' named Jester's Toybox for an OS Giken Triple plate.

After months of BS / broken promises June rolls around and, long story short, I got screwed over by said 'business' and ended up filing a PayPal dispute to get my funds back.

PSA: DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH Jester's Toybox

I guess the name should've been forewarning enough, but he was local and seemed like a 'good' guy so I thought of giving him the business.

Ron, the mad scientist/engine builder/mechanic, was able to promptly get me a Clutchmasters FX850 Twin Disk and we began the install these pending things:

ttv36 - 700+ rwhp Sedan Build Thread-un5pj82.jpg
ttv36 - 700+ rwhp Sedan Build Thread-4fwpbrn.jpg
ttv36 - 700+ rwhp Sedan Build Thread-g3uzqp9.jpg

Just checking the width of the driveshaft that was refinished/rebalanced and sent back to me.
ttv36 - 700+ rwhp Sedan Build Thread-zazisgy.jpg

Oh, I forgot to mention that along with the slipping clutch my CSF radiator had started leaking.
ttv36 - 700+ rwhp Sedan Build Thread-sh0ez9k.jpg
ttv36 - 700+ rwhp Sedan Build Thread-35jkjut.jpg

CSF was amazing and sent a new one to us, they have gone above and beyond what I would've expected from them!
ttv36 - 700+ rwhp Sedan Build Thread-a1ww7yk.jpg
ttv36 - 700+ rwhp Sedan Build Thread-s9io5b8.jpg

After getting everything buttoned up, I went on a test drive to see if the driveshaft was fixed. Unfortunately it was not and when we removed it it had completely new gouges! I'm sorry I don't seem to have taken a picture of them again (fail!). My assumption is that the driveshaft is still not straight, we are in contact with DSS and trying to get a Carbon Fiber replacement. In the mean time the stock driveshaft, which I have since named 'Old Faithful', is back in.

Which leads to the last few posts where I took it back to MSR Houston to learn how to drive it faster!
ttv36 - 700+ rwhp Sedan Build Thread-imllksx.jpg

And ended up with the lawn mowing posted above.
ttv36 - 700+ rwhp Sedan Build Thread-p7vgg3w.jpg

Giving me the title "King of the Broken Lips"
ttv36 - 700+ rwhp Sedan Build Thread-fpwyowk.jpg

It has finally pushed me to repaint my bumper which I have been putting off for almost a year.
ttv36 - 700+ rwhp Sedan Build Thread-irwlova.jpg

That's pretty much it for now, hopefully the next update won't take 6 months!

9/22/2016:
Suburbia Cruising
ttv36 - 700+ rwhp Sedan Build Thread-lpmgnlu.jpg

Coming back to form..
ttv36 - 700+ rwhp Sedan Build Thread-iscxthv.jpg

9/24/2016:
ttv36 - 700+ rwhp Sedan Build Thread-z9lirvr.jpg

Fresh detail by my good friend for #wekfestprep
ttv36 - 700+ rwhp Sedan Build Thread-5nqmtrq.jpg
ttv36 - 700+ rwhp Sedan Build Thread-9mhi0s5.jpg
ttv36 - 700+ rwhp Sedan Build Thread-sm1zkkk.jpg
ttv36 - 700+ rwhp Sedan Build Thread-zcajihy.jpg

12/9/2016:
Lack of updates here lately, but life and holidays has taken over. Unfortunately the head lifted on the motor back in September/October and the car has been sitting in storage ever since. Won't get around to fixing it until Spring at the soonest, but I'm still on the fence as to which route to go for the fix.. At least there is a good quarter of a year to think about the options at hand.

1/3/2017
I was able to drive the car over the holidays and the head was still lifting after 4-5 pulls at 21psi. I only had a few hours to spend with the car so I loaded up the Uprev ROM Editor, dropped the boost controller to 16psi, took some timing out, and fixed the AFRs. The car stopped pushing coolant and appears to run just fine.

The main reason I took the car out was to get a festive picture for the holidays; it didn't come out quite as well as I had envisioned since there was traffic, but it was decent enough.

ttv36 - 700+ rwhp Sedan Build Thread-smrcs0t.jpg

I should have some more time at the end of this month, but I think the plan will be to learn more about Uprev tuning and street tune the car on 93 since I am only running 16psi now. Once that is done it will likely stay untouched while I develop the plan (and funds) for the next stage.

3/13/17:
^ Thanks! I'm sure Mike's car will be insane once he gets a full tune!

I had grand ideas for the car at the end of '16 but the reality of '17 seems to be punting those further down the roadmap.. I did manage to change the oil when I first got it back:
ttv36 - 700+ rwhp Sedan Build Thread-7kjop4g.png

I have been messing with the car's tune and found that 18-19psi seems to be the threshold where the headlift occurs and coolant starts to push.

Since I no longer can run high boost levels I decided to switch back to 93 and start a new tune at 14psi. It's been fun learning how to tune the car myself and I am looking forward to getting it to a point where I can put it on the dyno to make some power runs - mainly to see if I'm "doing it right"

I did find some old unedited pictures when I setup my computer in the new house and have slowly started editing them:
ttv36 - 700+ rwhp Sedan Build Thread-lhlirps.jpg
ttv36 - 700+ rwhp Sedan Build Thread-xrcugcu.jpg

3/28/2017:
^ Oh you kids and your toys!

ttv36 - 700+ rwhp Sedan Build Thread-kdi8df6.jpg
ttv36 - 700+ rwhp Sedan Build Thread-v6ggl7c.jpg

5/9/17:
Currently hanging around..
ttv36 - 700+ rwhp Sedan Build Thread-l3qveij.jpg

5/18/17:
Finally on the ground after weeks (months?) in the air because I've been too lazy to finish the maintenance. Maybe I'll actually drive her this weekend after I charge the battery.

ttv36 - 700+ rwhp Sedan Build Thread-zzbhhfp.jpg
ttv36 - 700+ rwhp Sedan Build Thread-skcrhhu.jpg
ttv36 - 700+ rwhp Sedan Build Thread-btzo10c.jpg
ttv36 - 700+ rwhp Sedan Build Thread-3docxcw.jpg

Updates continue on post #23

Last edited by ttv36; 09-21-2017 at 04:17 PM.
Old 04-18-2014, 12:16 PM
_Invictus

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Daaaaamn this makes me wish I got a white one. Lol

What size wheels are those?
Old 04-18-2014, 12:22 PM
ttv36
Race, repair, repeat.

5/31/2017:
After the head lift last fall I have been preparing to rebuild; I guess every great story eventually has a reboot?

The motor started knocking recently so I think time is running out, it's too bad it is on it's last leg but considering how I drive the car it's held up quite well. Overall the smiles per hour over the past 2+ years have made everything worth it and I've learned a lot about our platform.

Fortunately some pieces of the puzzle came in yesterday.
ttv36 - 700+ rwhp Sedan Build Thread-qglytzy.jpg

I have acquired a few smaller pieces in preparation but haven't taken pictures of them:
Z1 Solid Motor Mounts
ATI Super Damper
ID1300 Injectors
CJM VQ37VHR Fuel Rails
VQ37VHR Crankshaft
Synolimit Ported Upper and Lower VQ37VHR Intake Manifolds
Synolimit 63mm Ported TBs (s/o to Upscale Speed)

Hopefully I can get everything else that I want/"need" in the next few months and be the first ever 2007 G37 Sedan VQ37HRTT?

7/25/17:
The inventory of parts is near complete, the reboot should start sometime around October unless I decide to get a couple last items which could push things to around December.. What's another month or two right?

RJ Manufacturing Closed Deck Block
VQ37 Crankshaft
Carillo VQ37 H Beam Rods w/CARR bolts
CJM VQ37 Fuel Rails
ID1300 Injectors
Tomei ProCam 272 10.8 IN/EX
Tomei Valve Springs
Tomei Titanium Retainers
Cosworth HR/VHR Head Gaskets
ARP 625+ Head Studs
ATI Super Damper
EPS Oil Gallery Gaskets
Z1 Solid Motor Mounts
Synolimit Ported VQ37 Upper/Lower Intake Manifold
Synolimit Ported Throttle Bodies (s/o to Upscale Speed)
BW/AAM High Pressure Wastegate Actuators
AdminTuning Combo Tank

Rods
ttv36 - 700+ rwhp Sedan Build Thread-k36bwnw.jpg

Head Gaskets
ttv36 - 700+ rwhp Sedan Build Thread-jsubwa2.jpg

In the meantime I'm still puttin the car around @ just 14psi
ttv36 - 700+ rwhp Sedan Build Thread-cs1oc5q.jpg

7/28/17:
RJ Manufacturing Closed Deck is in, will probably start building this outside the car and do the swap sometime later this year.

ttv36 - 700+ rwhp Sedan Build Thread-4wtfpot.jpg
ttv36 - 700+ rwhp Sedan Build Thread-rl4alss.jpg

9/19/17:
With Harvey having such a huge blow to Houston there are so many things that the city has to deal with. Thankfully my family and I were blessed enough to make it through the storm fairly unscathed. A roof leak sprouted in our home, but it is so minor and insignificant compared to what my neighbors and community have gone through that it doesn't even register on the scale.

Things have slowly started to go back to normalcy the past two weeks and reevaluation had to be done as far as the car rebuild is concerned. I originally wanted to wait a few months to upgrade the turbos, but with a property tax hike looming that is just not in the cards anymore.

That means this is one of the final pieces of the puzzle - a Suckerpunch Motorsports Oil Pump! This combined with the Tomei cams and ATI Super Damper should allow me to safely raise the redline to 8500rpm and possibly even 9000rpm (if we are daring enough to try).

ttv36 - 700+ rwhp Sedan Build Thread-nufeugt.jpg

The only thing I'm waiting on now is for a new set of custom pistons which have been ordered and should be 3-4 weeks out, after which the rebuild will begin.

9/25/2017:
As I've mentioned before I started tuning my car on Uprev by myself since the head lifted back in November and now that I am getting close to the rebuild I wanted to get the car on the dyno to get some numbers for the tune. A friend recently had his car retuned at DD Performance Research which has a 4wd dynojet. I originally intended to hit up both DD and Kozmic on the same day to have comparisons between DD's dynojet and Kozmic's mustang dyno, but another friend went ahead and put his car on DD's dyno first as he originally had his car tuned at Kozmic. His car made 380whp on Kozmic's mustang dyno and 382whp on DD's dynojet. Seeing as how there was only a whopping 2whp difference between the two dynos I decided to not even have my car run at Kozmic.

Here are the results for my self tune on 93 at 14.5psi:
ttv36 - 700+ rwhp Sedan Build Thread-lzsfphn.jpg

Smoothing 5 applied:
ttv36 - 700+ rwhp Sedan Build Thread-e7kqgmh.jpg

The tune needs a little more work, but at this point I'm calling it good as I will start a new tune from scratch once the new motor is put in. I'm pretty stoked that my tune was pretty much able to match the numbers that the car previously made on 93 and Jtran's tune.

Last edited by ttv36; 09-25-2017 at 12:16 PM.
Old 04-19-2014, 01:55 AM
ScrewstonNismo

Received 44 Likes on 29 Posts
<iframe src="//instagram.com/p/m9cM3nxYBH/embed/" width="612" height="710" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" allowtransparency="true"></iframe>

Just saw the picture CS posted on Facebook, this was basically my facial expression.
The following users liked this post:
CarbonSignal (04-20-2014)
Old 04-20-2014, 01:50 AM
CarbonSignal
Can't spell my own name

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Looks great thats the first V3 spoiler anywhere in USA, we have moved lots of cams in lisc plate area kind of easy job and saw some ebay sellers bolt on camera in lisc plate area for G35/37 as well
ttv36 (04-20-2014)
Old 04-20-2014, 09:23 AM
RexHavoc
Premier Member

Received 163 Likes on 143 Posts
Originally Posted by CarbonSignal
Looks great thats the first V3 spoiler anywhere in USA, we have moved lots of cams in lisc plate area kind of easy job and saw some ebay sellers bolt on camera in lisc plate area for G35/37 as well
Good to know. I'll be looking for products later this year, you guys are on my short list.
Old 04-20-2014, 11:40 AM
melo_g37s

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
very dope. that front diffuser looks incredible.
Old 04-27-2014, 01:22 AM
ttv36
Race, repair, repeat.

The sun decided to come out a bit today while I was out and about.

Old 04-27-2014, 08:38 AM
warped ideas
A quarter past stripped

Received 374 Likes on 178 Posts
OP: Did you install that front lip yourself and if so how difficult was the installation? I'd have to say that it looks better than the AutokitsX lip.
Old 04-27-2014, 10:57 AM
ttv36
Race, repair, repeat.

^ I let the body shop do the install the kit, I think they just put some bolts to hold it on.
warped ideas (04-27-2014)

Quick Reply: ttv36 - 700+ rwhp Sedan Build Thread