Brakes, Suspension, Wheels & Tires
Rollers and Rubbers (View All Posts)

Cost effective G37x sedan lowering options?

Old 03-28-2017, 02:40 PM
Coltrane1
Premier Member

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
Cost effective G37x sedan lowering options?

G37 AWD sedan

Parts estimates:

Stance XR1 coilovers and Swift spring upgrade - $1655
SPC toe and camber arms -$600
Labor to install and alignment - $1100

So $3300 and counting simply to get a safe 1" drop on a sedan that has a value of $12k. After wheels/tires that's over half the cars worth invested in suspension parts. But it's in the pursuit of a look and performance. I get that. Still it's $6k.

There must be another way to gain a modest 1" drop.

Can I simply buy new shocks/struts? Say combining KYB and Swift coils? I like the adjustments coilovers bring but not for a cost of $3300.

Options? Suggestions?
Old 03-28-2017, 02:50 PM
1cleanG
NextLevel Performance

Received 210 Likes on 155 Posts
Really it boils down to you get what you pay for.

>>>Koni struts paired with lowering springs will get you close to the same cost. If you want a "cheap" setup, just go with straight lowering springs on your OEM struts to gain you a 1" drop.

>>>You can also save quite a bit by not doing the swift springs upgrade. If you want we can also set you up with SPC rear camber arms, and keep your OEM spring buckets and just use toe bolts (I don't advise keeping your spring bucket for TRUE coilovers setups though)

>>>And lastly, you're 100% getting overcharged for install/allignment~
The following users liked this post:
blnewt (03-28-2017)
Old 03-28-2017, 03:49 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,940 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Lance speaks volumes^^^

Maybe you can find a member here that lives in your area that can help w/ the install, it's 100% DIY-able and could cut the cost down considerably. Not 100% sure if Koni makes the front struts for the AWDs, but if not, they may have an adapter solution there???

I'd echo what Lance says about the 1" drop, that can be had w/ just the Swift lowering springs if your OEM shocks aren't on their dying legs. And the Swift drop w/ the AWDs ends up being nice & even vs. some other spring drops that tend to look sagged in the back.
Old 03-28-2017, 03:56 PM
Coltrane1
Premier Member

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
Okay, thanks for the input. It's a high mileage car so I've no choice but to replace stock parts. It sounds like I have to bite the price bullet to do things right and effect a positive upgrade while still lowering the car. It's simply going to cost more for a local install than I anticipated. I've called 7 shops and not 1 will quote a flat rate for a coilover install. It's been suggested by a vendor in the midwest that they'd install and align for $550. I'm getting twice that estimate near Seattle.
Old 03-28-2017, 06:15 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,940 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Since you don't have the parts yet I'd post in the regional folders about finding a member that may be willing to help you, wouldn't hurt to ask. Should be able to find some quality coilovers that won't be too deep a drop at their highest settings, maybe Lance knows what the minimum drop would be on the sets he deals with.
Coltrane1 (03-30-2017)
Old 03-30-2017, 03:00 PM
G.AWD.zilla
Registered Member

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
I'm near Seattle (Mill Creek) and would be happy to help.

I've installed struts, springs, coilovers & sways on a handful of Honda/Acuras and a Subaru. Just bought my G37x Sedan, so still new to working on the Infiniti, but I'm thinking the skills mostly transfer.

I'm interested in doing suspension mods sometime in the future, so would be glad to have the chance to get familiar.

Anyway, just thought I'd chime in.
Coltrane1 (03-30-2017)

Search this Thread