Rollers and Rubbers (View All Posts)

OEM suspension upgrade help- NISMO springs

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2017, 04:43 PM
accordselux

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OEM suspension upgrade help- NISMO springs

Hi all-

I've lurked around and seen several threads, but I have two questions unanswered.

I have a 2012 G37x sedan.

1) I've seen stock 370z springs up front work well. Has anyone run 370z NISMO (red) springs? Does anyone have any feedback on running them?

2) I have a 370z rear sway and looking at S sedan rear springs. Would NISMO or standard 370z springs be a good match to these, or would I have a real disconnect in ride quality between the front and rear?

Thanks a lot!
Old 02-26-2017, 01:17 AM
HoldmyMouse

Received 131 Likes on 111 Posts
RWD and AWD front suspension parts are not interchangeable.
Old 02-26-2017, 01:24 AM
accordselux

Originally Posted by HoldmyMouse
RWD and AWD front suspension parts are not interchangeable.
https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-sed...ternative.html

370Z springs experiment - Page 4 - G35Driver

These threads (and aftermarket companies) argue otherwise.

The springs should work. Yes there are differences in other components between RWD and AWD, but the springs should work.
Old 02-26-2017, 09:48 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,940 Likes on 4,174 Posts
The Nismo springs should be a better choice since the spring rates should be higher (I haven't seen the spring rates listed though). There is quite a bit more weight up front w/ the AWD components so having that higher rate should help w/ that. The fact that Tanabe uses their lowering springs (one part #) for ALL G models will confirm that the springs WILL physically fit in the strut body without issues.
Old 02-26-2017, 01:01 PM
Ape Factory
Registered Member

Received 322 Likes on 231 Posts
Are the X springs longer than the RWD springs? Just curious as you could also try IPL springs which are a step up above the sport spring rates and you'd still get a mild drop. If needed, I can pull out my IPL springs and measure their free length.
Old 02-26-2017, 05:14 PM
accordselux

Originally Posted by blnewt
The Nismo springs should be a better choice since the spring rates should be higher (I haven't seen the spring rates listed though). There is quite a bit more weight up front w/ the AWD components so having that higher rate should help w/ that. The fact that Tanabe uses their lowering springs (one part #) for ALL G models will confirm that the springs WILL physically fit in the strut body without issues.
Thanks! That's what I was thinking. My only worry is that S sedan springs in the rear will be too soft compared to NISMO fronts, but the sway should help tighten up the rear end as well.

From this thread (what are the oem spring rates? - Nissan 370Z Forum)

Nismo Spring Rates (Rates taken from Nissan Japan, based on part # E3110-1EA00, except for lb/in which was converted from N/mm * 5.7099):
F:79.0 N/mm (8.1 kgf/mm) (451 lbs/in)
R:89.0 N/mm (9.1 kgf/mm) (508 lbs/in)

Normal Spring Rates (Reverse calculated, Nismo was advertised to have 15% more in Front, 10% more in Rear. May not be exactly accurate but close enough)
F: 68.7 N/mm (7.1 kgf/mm) (392 lbs/in)
R: 77.3 N/mm (7.9 kgf/mm) (441 lbs/in)

Of course, that's just what the internet said, I'm not running calculations over here...

Originally Posted by Ape Factory
Are the X springs longer than the RWD springs? Just curious as you could also try IPL springs which are a step up above the sport spring rates and you'd still get a mild drop. If needed, I can pull out my IPL springs and measure their free length.
From what I've read, it's been recommended to avoid the coupe springs because of the extra weight the sedan configuration adds to the rear. One of the forum members ran coupe springs in rear and said it was not a good combination.

I appreciate the offer, I'm just not sure it's a direction I want to go in.
Old 02-26-2017, 06:31 PM
Ape Factory
Registered Member

Received 322 Likes on 231 Posts
The IPL Coupe springs have a higher rate than any other G37 spring rate and are actually firmer than the Nismo spring specs listed above. I also think the Nismo numbers are reversed. The firmer spring is in front (more weight).

IPL Springs: 549lbs/inch front, 450lbs/inch rear