Rollers and Rubbers (View All Posts)

front outer tire wear

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2017, 02:07 PM
Jonesmeister11
Premier Member

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts
front outer tire wear

As the title says, I'm getting outer tire wear on the front only. Do I need a front camber kit? Wheel specs are on the from 8.5 +35 with a 20 inch diameter

Name:  IMG_1198.jpg
Views: 475
Size:  169.6 KB
Name:  IMG_1199.jpg
Views: 394
Size:  123.6 KB

My alignment done about 9 months ago.
Name:  20160629_184443.jpg
Views: 220
Size:  179.3 KB
Old 02-10-2017, 05:02 PM
Lucasmdemele
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
How long

have you had these wheels on your car? I've had 20 inch wheels on my car for about a year and done a few track days too but I've only put about 4-5 thousand miles on the tire setup I haven't noticed any substantial outer tire wear do u have a staggered or square setup and are your tires directional? I switch my front 2 every time I take the front tires off it looks like your alignment is all in spec but one # I'm interested in others feedback that have 20's on there cars too!!
Old 02-10-2017, 06:43 PM
Jonesmeister11
Premier Member

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by Lucasmdemele
have you had these wheels on your car? I've had 20 inch wheels on my car for about a year and done a few track days too but I've only put about 4-5 thousand miles on the tire setup I haven't noticed any substantial outer tire wear do u have a staggered or square setup and are your tires directional? I switch my front 2 every time I take the front tires off it looks like your alignment is all in spec but one # I'm interested in others feedback that have 20's on there cars too!!
Yeah, but these are the first set of tires I've had on the wheels. I bought the car with the wheels already on it. I am staggered wheels (width of course) rears are 10 inch wide. Tires are indeed directional, Toyo T1 sport.

To be completely fair, my alignment was way out of wack when first getting these tires put on, but the outer tread has gone from decent to what you see in the pic in a matter of months. Idk could be because of my alignment previously being off. Just wondering if this is a common occurrence with 20 inch wheels.
Old 02-10-2017, 06:47 PM
Lucasmdemele
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Stock

height? I haven't had any problems @ all but I drive my car to the store after work and on the weekends occasionally to the track but other than that no problems for me thinking about lowering my car on springs but only want an inch in back any advice for springs?
Old 02-10-2017, 06:48 PM
hurleyguys

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
to me it looks like you have positive camber on that front left. usually it happens on the inside of the tire after lowering your car. do you have any suspension mods? you will prob need to get that tire replaced. it also looks like the alignment was done last june. have you gotten an alignment done since? on my g37 and my old G35 the alignment almost never stays in spec for very long. i get my alignment done almost every 2 months.
Old 02-10-2017, 10:08 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,940 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Yep, something is amiss here. That heavy outer wear in front looks like heavy negative camber or your toe is out quite a bit there.

That spec sheet you posted won't cause that kind of wear. I would get it rechecked and if possible getting that front camber balanced to a -0.6 on both sides would be preferred. Based on that spec sheet you shouldn't see ANY excessive wear along the tread block.