Brakes, Suspension, Wheels & Tires
Rollers and Rubbers (View All Posts)

Post coilover questions and recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2017, 09:01 PM
slotterjordan

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Post coilover questions and recommendations

So I have k sport coils on my G coupe RWD 6MT. I need to get them balanced because one side isn't perfect with the rest and my car sits weird ( guy who put them on was an idiot) the car handles like crap. I do have all seasons on. Compared to my summer tires. But it's like sketchy going fast. I know the guy messed with the pre load and stuff. Do you think if I balance my coils out perfect. Got camber tow arms to help the crazy camber in the back. That my car will ride better? It's really bouncy and is worse than the stock suspension. Please help 😤😭😭 This is how it's sitting. Currently the top tire is tucked. I think it got lower since this picture. Deff tucks more than this now.
Old 02-01-2017, 09:14 PM
the93owner
Registered Member

Received 335 Likes on 261 Posts
I have the Ksport coilovers also, and yes they are a bit bouncy but try adjusting the damping settings. You should find a good medium between hard and soft. Also did you get an alignment? After you adjust the height of the suspension again, you should get another alignment anyways even if you got one already.
Old 02-01-2017, 09:31 PM
slotterjordan

Originally Posted by the93owner
I have the Ksport coilovers also, and yes they are a bit bouncy but try adjusting the damping settings. You should find a good medium between hard and soft. Also did you get an alignment? After you adjust the height of the suspension again, you should get another alignment anyways even if you got one already.
Yeah I did an alignment when I first got them on. But I can tell I need another. Doesn't help its lopsided. But I have the front stiffened all the way and the rears I haven't touched. Probably why. Just waiting to buy camber arms and having my mechanic dismount. Balance. Adjust the preload and it should be perfect. Do you think I'm too low?? I'm tucking the top of the tire pretty hard.
Old 02-02-2017, 01:12 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
For a daily driver you should have your damper settings close to the halfway point, I would imagine running full firm in front would result in pretty poor handling. Try backing them down to full soft, then go up to the halfway point, do the same in back, then go up or down a couple clicks at a time until you find the sweet spot. Takes a bit of trial & error but once you get it you shouldn't have to address it again unless you have track duty. Not sure what KSport recommends for their height range, if you are outside that range you may have some compromise in ride quality. It looks a bit low for my preference, zero gap is a good goal to shoot for as far as being able to daily drive without much worry (26.25" from ground to fender arcs).
Old 02-03-2017, 10:10 PM
Ape Factory
Registered Member

Received 322 Likes on 231 Posts
Zero to 10mm preload max. The K-Sports are true type in the rear right? Basically make sure there is enough preload that it's hard to rotate the springs by hand and you should be good.

For damping, the fronts should always have more clicks towards firm than the rear (there's more weight up front). If you're full hard up front and the car has jounce (car bounces up and down several times after going over a bump), the shocks themselves aren't valved correctly to control the spring rate given the conditions of the roads you drive on.

If the rears are sending you airborne, you'll need to back of the damping and make sure you'r preload is correct.

In addition, you'll need to properly align the car and put it at a proper height as it'll have a drastic effect on bump steer, straight line tracking and corner balance. It'll change the feel on turn-in, mid-corner and exiting the corner under power. Ask K-Sport for their recommended height front and rear. Chances are, they don't have recommended settings. Try to find someone with corner weight scales if that's the case.

Right now you have the handling of a Prius that's having a bad day. Setting the car up correctly will vastly improve your enjoyment of the car and its capabilities.
Old 02-03-2017, 10:13 PM
slotterjordan

Originally Posted by Ape Factory
Zero to 10mm preload max. The K-Sports are true type in the rear right? Basically make sure there is enough preload that it's hard to rotate the springs by hand and you should be good.

For damping, the fronts should always have more clicks towards firm than the rear (there's more weight up front). If you're full hard up front and the car has jounce (car bounces up and down several times after going over a bump), the shocks themselves aren't valved correctly to control the spring rate given the conditions of the roads you drive on.

If the rears are sending you airborne, you'll need to back of the damping and make sure you'r preload is correct.

In addition, you'll need to properly align the car and put it at a proper height as it'll have a drastic effect on bump steer, straight line tracking and corner balance. It'll change the feel on turn-in, mid-corner and exiting the corner under power. Ask K-Sport for their recommended height front and rear. Chances are, they don't have recommended settings. Try to find someone with corner weight scales if that's the case.

Right now you have the handling of a Prius that's having a bad day. Setting the car up correctly will vastly improve your enjoyment of the car and its capabilities.
Great info. Thank You
Old 02-03-2017, 10:20 PM
Ape Factory
Registered Member

Received 322 Likes on 231 Posts
Most welcome! I know it's fashion to slam everything but man, the car handles so much better when you don't go below the OEM roll center and screw with bump steer. But a bad alignment can really ruin the feel and mechanical grip of the car.