Brakes, Suspension, Wheels & Tires
Rollers and Rubbers (View All Posts)

Any ideas? Bought new home and my lowered G37 can't get down the driveway [PICS]

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2017, 05:35 PM
Sarcastik

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Any ideas? Bought new home and my lowered G37 can't get down the driveway [PICS]

My G really isn't that low. I drive it everyday and I rarely have issues with driveways or curbs I can't get over. Just my luck I can't get down my own driveway. I've tried going in front back and from various angles..nothing Any ideas? I feel like the angle is so weird that even a ramp or some other sort of contraption wouldn't work.

Old 01-02-2017, 06:20 PM
NeverBoneStock
Premier Member

Received 69 Likes on 56 Posts
Your gonna have to take it in sideways..
Old 01-02-2017, 07:13 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,940 Likes on 4,174 Posts
What BoneStock said, hopefully your drive is wide enough to take it at a 45 degree angle and your street isn't too busy so you can back it out the same way. Same goes for those horrible wide speed humps, take those straight on and you'll have to call a tow truck
Old 01-02-2017, 11:28 PM
Sarcastik

Isn't there another way?? I feel like I took in from every imaginable angle. I tried frontwards, backwards and corning in from an angle.

By "sideways" do you mean I have to clear BOTH right side wheels before attempting to turn the wheel right and head in?? As I mentioned my car really isn't that low (springs not coils) so I've never had to worry about anything like this...

Any advice would be appreciated or other way of getting in like a curb ramp type of solution.

Thanks!
Old 01-03-2017, 12:03 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,940 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Might have to lay down some rubber strips or 2x12s if there's no other way around it. I was a bit lower than your G (at least by the looks of it) and going at sharp angles I was able to deal with most of it, although scraping often occurred. I ended up going to coilovers and raising it up a 1/2" (to 26.25" from ground to fender arcs) and have no problems anymore.

From your pics it looks like your Y-pipe is in for a lot of trouble

If you can get a video clip to show exactly what you're up against that might help.
Old 01-03-2017, 08:17 PM
micafd3s

Received 114 Likes on 102 Posts
drive up as you would on the pic.. stop then lay down ramps for the rears..
build it like this... crude pic.. but you get the idea
Attached Thumbnails Any ideas? Bought new home and my lowered G37 can't get down the driveway [PICS]-img_6547_a24580145d06c9f093a506badd9bdf277bd1ffdb.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
Sarcastik (01-11-2017)
Old 01-03-2017, 09:41 PM
Ape Factory
Registered Member

Received 322 Likes on 231 Posts
Do you own the home? I hate to say it but you may have to have someone grind down the hump and create a longer, smoother transition. I have similar issues with a steep driveway and abrupt transition into the flat garage. If I have a heavy passenger in the car (or 200 pounds of sand in the trunk), I'll grind. I've debated taking the sharp lip/edge off of mine with a high speed grinder, LOL.
Old 01-05-2017, 12:16 AM
Sarcastik

Thank you so much for the suggestions. It's been raining the last couple of days so I haven't even bothered to try because when I make an attempt I have my wife stand at the bottom of the drive and watch the underside of the car to tell me before it touches. Hopefully if I angel in almost parallel to the hump and then turn once both wheels have crossed over I might just be able to pull it off. My biggest fear is getting in and then having no way out.

I also like the idea of using a ramp for the rear wheels, but again my fear is that I get halfway over and the ramp runs out then I land on my exhaust pipe and rip it to shreads.

Its such a shame because I'm really not that low. My wheel just barely meets the fender with pretty much no tuck. I absolutely despise parking on the street because the cold starts just don't sound as good
Old 01-05-2017, 07:29 AM
LateApex

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
I'm with Ape Factory... Although I may go a step further. Had a friend with a similar situation... I'm not sure about your rainwater runoff and how the lip on the road and the hump in the concrete, if you grind those down.... might end up at the bottom of the driveway. My buddy ended up cutting out the last few feet of the driveway, re-poured the concrete and installed a trough drain across most of the drive. Maybe the first home-improvement project at your new place just revealed itself.
Old 01-05-2017, 10:01 AM
ttv36
Race, repair, repeat.

Received 432 Likes on 289 Posts
You just need to hit it at the right angle.

Here's the first youtube example that came up:
Old 01-05-2017, 02:28 PM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Received 500 Likes on 429 Posts
Looking at your driveway I can see where it seems like there is a dip right before it begins. I circled what I'm referring to in the below pictures. Others can chime in but I believe you have to fill that to the point that it is either higher or equal to the height of your driveway. One option is the get a piece of metal plating and bolt it like in the picture below. You could also use black top to fill the gap, also pictured below. Lastly, you could go with this company who seems to specialize in this field.

Bridjit Curb Ramps for Driveways and More!

Hope you are able to figure something out that works! Have to ask, when you viewed the home and went through inspections, walkthroughs, etc., did you never take the G?
Attached Thumbnails Any ideas? Bought new home and my lowered G37 can't get down the driveway [PICS]-scraping.jpg   Any ideas? Bought new home and my lowered G37 can't get down the driveway [PICS]-metal_ramp.jpg   Any ideas? Bought new home and my lowered G37 can't get down the driveway [PICS]-blacktop.jpg   Any ideas? Bought new home and my lowered G37 can't get down the driveway [PICS]-rubber-pad.jpg  
The following 2 users liked this post by RMB5190:
blnewt (01-05-2017), Sarcastik (01-11-2017)
Old 01-06-2017, 08:10 AM
micafd3s

air suspension...

filling in just the gap will not work... he has a decline at the front.. he needs to raise his rears not just keep it inline with the edge.. raise the rears before the front dips...he needs ramps..
Old 01-06-2017, 08:43 AM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Received 500 Likes on 429 Posts
Looked like his issue was his front wheels start down the sharp incline at the same time his back wheels drop into the void before his driveway; creating a see-saw affect. If he fills that void then it will even out his decent.

Best option IMO would be to have black top laid that fills the void and extends into the road. Referencing my first photo above, where you can see the street, I'd start if where his rear wheel is in the photo and lead into my driveway. This should raise his back-end enough so his undercarriage and skirts don't rub.

I get what you're saying Mica but I doubt OP wants to have a makeshift ramp at the front of his new home; or get air suspension as I think that is a little extreme..Maybe if he combines the ideas and lays blacktop to the point it creates the elevation a ramp would he would fix his problem. regardless, I'm curious to see this ending.
Old 01-06-2017, 10:12 AM
r2dmax

Received 71 Likes on 65 Posts
To me he is not at enough of an angle upon entry. I would go in similar to the Z RMB5190 posted or reverse in at that angle. My parents have a driveway very similar and I had to go in at an extreme angle and out the same way. I would lightly scrub my exhaust but nothing hard
Old 01-06-2017, 11:22 AM
micafd3s

Originally Posted by RMB5190
..Maybe if he combines the ideas and lays blacktop to the point it creates the elevation a ramp would he would fix his problem..
or come in at an extreme angle with your fill in idea...
id hate to see a black strip though.. id rather have the ramps you can take in and out