Help Selecting rotor and pad [EBC / Centric]

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2016, 10:10 AM
main_shoby
Registered Member

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Selecting rotor and pad [EBC / Centric]

hello guys!

From last couple of days I am researching rotors and brake pads for my 2012 G37 journey sedan (non-sports). I want to stay under $300 budget so mainly looking for coated blank rotors. My MAIN concern is rust. I don't want rust on my rotors.
I was pretty much locked on getting centric premium blank (E-coated) rotors + posi ceramic pads and then I came across these EBC kits. I am not sure what's the difference between their stage 1 or stage 20 but they seem like within the budget.
Have a look at the following link please

---->this<----

and see this:

the first kit is $298 that's stage 20 plain rotors.
2nd and 3rd items make (155.17+97.17 = $252.34) stage 1 plain rotors.
+ whatever shipping cost

on the other hand, I have this in my rockauto cart:

that includes shipping cost.
given both are blank rotors, EBC is better than centric? If so, what's better?
on the same page I linked above, there are Hawk and power stop options. I am not sure if they are coated :/ but i do like the design lol.

what you guys think? is there any other good option?
I really love stoptech slotted design and look but I dont want to spend $400-ish on rotor+pads.

help

Last edited by main_shoby; 12-23-2016 at 10:16 AM.
Old 01-07-2017, 12:10 PM
ezbme
Registered Member

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
I had those EBC rotors on my car and I believe they came warped from the start. I hated them from day one. You would probably be better off with Hawk, Centric or Stop Tec. I found a great price on the Hawk's, but that was for the bigger rotors. The smaller ones are twice as much..huh what.

Some of the best I had were some Pagid rotors, they were made in China, Hella owns Pagid. They were like 30 each and were plated. No warping, no rusting. Unfortunately, I don't think they make them for our cars.
Old 01-09-2017, 06:11 AM
Surfnazi
Registered Member

Received 176 Likes on 165 Posts
I've used both brands along with stoptech powerslot and powerstop all but ebc is owned by centric. Unless you're going to track your car slotted or drilled rotors will wear faster and just for looks. Centric blanks or even slotted are a good setup.
Old 01-09-2017, 06:37 AM
Elco
Registered Member

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
Centric all day.
Is the best deal and there is no compromise in quality.
I had EBC rotors and i replaced them after 2 weeks.
LOL they were wrapped from the factory
Also EBC came with equal rotor walls, while the factory one have the inside wall thicker than the outside one.
Centric is the same design as the factory one.
If the factory decided to make the inner wall thicker, they did that for a reason...

As for the EBC brake pads.... OMG... just the worst pads i ever used...
The brake force was ok... but everything else is BAD.
Starting with the paint that came on the pads - BAD IDEEA, then the uneven wear on the center of the pad compared with the edges, and so on...

I also used PAGID pads on my sedan and they are WAAAAY better than the EBC pads. The only downside on pagid is the brake dust..

Last edited by Elco; 01-09-2017 at 06:46 AM.
Old 01-11-2017, 09:56 AM
main_shoby
Registered Member

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
thanks for the input guys
everybody was out on vacations so this thread was dead for like 2 weeks lol. during that time, i ordered centric. found a superb front + rear pads and rotors deal for 175$!
Came in stoptech boxes lol. everything runs perfectly after install.
Old 01-11-2017, 11:04 AM
Victory
Registered Member

Received 153 Likes on 122 Posts
Same experience with EBC brakes on a previous car. Rotors were warped in no time and the redstuff pads didn't last a year, which was a blessing as noisy as they were. I stopped messing around with sport-looking brakes after that. Blanks and a set of good ceramic street pads are more than what 99%of people need