Tire shop put on my wheels wrong...

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2016, 11:56 AM
Peruviann
Registered Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Tire shop put on my wheels wrong...

2013 G37 Sedan
So i lowered my car on tein basis coilovers with spc front and rear kits.
The shop that did the work put on my wheels like this

Front driver 245 Front Passenger 225

Rear Driver 225 Rear Passenger 245

Now after about 400 miles of driving i noticed it and changed it to the correct way
and got my car aligned but i noticed one of my tires seems like its getting eaten up (look at pic).
Could this be caused by how they put on the wheels incorrectly ??
I'm stressing out because i cant afford to get new tires in case anything happens right now.

I am lowered 26.5 in front and 26.70 -26.75 in rear

Tire shop put on my wheels wrong...-dk7ekst.jpg
Tire shop put on my wheels wrong...-i1boytr.jpg
Tire shop put on my wheels wrong...-o5prugy.jpg
Tire shop put on my wheels wrong...-tje6ejz.jpg
Old 12-08-2016, 12:15 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 588 Likes on 492 Posts
While the two sizes are similar, actual circumferences are different.

225/50/18 = 84.3", 751 revs per mile
245/45/18 = 83.8", 756 revs per mile

We're talking about a half inch difference in circumference. Now multiply that over the 400 miles. Says average of 750 revs * 400 miles * .5" = 12,500 feet. Could that cause uneven wear, I suppose. I'd expect handling to be strange too.

How many miles on the tires before the drop? If significant, it would be hard to prove the shop caused the issue. Where's the tire pic? I don't see any showing uneven wear.

You learned a valuable lesson here. Unfortunately that's just how it is. Unless this shop works with high performance/sports cars, they likely assume every car has a square set up.
Old 12-08-2016, 12:19 PM
Peruviann
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Jsolo
While the two sizes are similar, actual circumferences are different.

225/50/18 = 84.3", 751 revs per mile
245/45/18 = 83.8", 756 revs per mile

We're talking about a half inch difference in circumference. Now multiply that over the 400 miles. Says average of 750 revs * 400 miles * .5" = 12,500 feet. Could that cause uneven wear, I suppose. I'd expect handling to be strange too.

How many miles on the tires before the drop? If significant, it would be hard to prove the shop caused the issue. Where's the tire pic? I don't see any showing uneven wear.

You learned a valuable lesson here. Unfortunately that's just how it is. Unless this shop works with high performance/sports cars, they likely assume every car has a square set up.
the pic above shows the fender maybe hit the tire ? its the only tire that is like that. I bought the wheels used. I only noticed it yesterday. The handling was very harsh but i thought it was cause of the 19's on the car and suspension.
Old 12-08-2016, 12:57 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
What you posted the photo of is normal, it's just some excess rubber from the mold used to cast the tires. But putting them on as they did probably did cause some premature and unusual wear patterns. In only 400 miles it probably isn't a lot though. You'll be OK now that they're right and your alignment is better.
Old 12-08-2016, 02:17 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Alignment is good and like BB said, that's just extra rubber in the manufacturing process. Hopefully that shop payed closer attention when they installed your suspension parts
Old 12-08-2016, 02:23 PM
HoldmyMouse

Received 131 Likes on 111 Posts
140 Treadwear wow! Make sure you check the production date on the tire. Should be a 4 digit number. First 2 indicate the week and last 2 indicate the year.
Old 12-08-2016, 02:59 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 588 Likes on 492 Posts
Originally Posted by blnewt
Alignment is good and like BB said, that's just extra rubber in the manufacturing process. Hopefully that shop payed closer attention when they installed your suspension parts
I was thinking the same thing, just didn't want to say it out loud. It's sad the lay person has to be knowledgeable about everything because the professionals can't be bothered to do their job correctly even at the most basic level.
Old 12-08-2016, 03:14 PM
2011-G
Registered Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Jsolo
It's sad the lay person has to be knowledgeable about everything because the professionals can't be bothered to do their job correctly even at the most basic level.
That is why I don't bother getting help from the "professionals" anymore and do all the work in my own garage. Just had way too many bad experiences where people don't really care and just trying to get the job done.

I would go back to that shop and let them know and leave a bad review online.
Old 12-08-2016, 03:57 PM
Peruviann
Registered Member

Originally Posted by blnewt
I had the second shop i went to get my alignment check my suspension and readjust the height. They said everything looked good.
Old 12-08-2016, 03:59 PM
Peruviann
Registered Member

Originally Posted by HoldmyMouse
140 Treadwear wow! Make sure you check the production date on the tire. Should be a 4 digit number. First 2 indicate the week and last 2 indicate the year.
I couldnt see anything. The bought the wheels used. The guy said he had them for a few years sitting around, Tires looked fine so i used them.

Originally Posted by 2011-G
That is why I don't bother getting help from the "professionals" anymore and do all the work in my own garage. Just had way too many bad experiences where people don't really care and just trying to get the job done.

I would go back to that shop and let them know and leave a bad review online.
What sucks the most is the shop that did the work has really good reputation and is well known. I have already left a bad review. I would go in person but they would just deny it and its not worth the 70 mile drive.
Old 12-08-2016, 04:00 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 506 Likes on 435 Posts
I wrap blue painters tape around the rear wheels so I can tell right away if the wheels were mounted wrong. Caught two shops already this mismatched the wheels and tires.