Rollers and Rubbers (View All Posts)

Review Swift Metric Springs on Koni Shocks w/ Coilover Kit

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2013, 11:25 PM
dimsler
Registered Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Swift Metric Springs on Koni Shocks w/ Coilover Kit

I've been getting a few emails inquiring about my current suspension combo, so I thought I'd make a thread and post to answer anyones questions in general.

I've go ta G37 Sedan, and I'm running Koni Yellow Shocks.

Koni Yellow Shocks can be converted into coilovers for those that don't know this.

You can buy sleeves straight from Koni and Rear buckets from TrueChoice for under $200, then you can buy yourself any spring rate Swift or Hypercoil or Eibach standard metric coilover springs.

The front shocks require Konis sleeve kits, KON-30-0000, this will allow you to run a 2.5" x 7" Metric Coilover / 65MM x 178MM

The rear spring buckets call up truechoice and ask for there 2.76" coilover sleeve / spring bucket, and use a centering bolt drilled into your spring bucket. The rear springs a 2.76 x 9" Metric Coiliver / 70MM x 228MM

You are probably wondering why go this route vs just buying Chinese or Taiwanese made Coilovers, or even the forum favourite KW V3. Well heres the facts, I realize everyone loves KW on here, but KW are not made in Germany, they are made in Taiwan, and they aren't on linear springs they are on progressive springs.

Koni shocks are still made in Europe, Swift springs are still made in Japan. Both have lifetime warranty.

If you get super hardcore, you can always have you Konis converted to Twin-Adjustable (for hardcore track use) they can also be revalved to any real linear spring. The options for Konis are endless.

And the options for Running standard metric springs?

Swift Springs USA

Well you can go to swift and order any weigh you want for the exact type of driving you'd like to do.

And in the end for a little under $1600 you're getting life time quality parts.

$900 for Konis, $250 for coiover hardware, and $300-350 for Swift Springs.

Swift Metric Springs on Koni Shocks w/ Coilover Kit-p9mheoy.jpg
Swift Metric Springs on Koni Shocks w/ Coilover Kit-ltfjgz5.jpg
Swift Metric Springs on Koni Shocks w/ Coilover Kit-tg1pt0z.jpg
Swift Metric Springs on Koni Shocks w/ Coilover Kit-0v3lqdi.jpg

For the front you don't actually need the top black pieces.

I don't have pics of them installed on the struts I'm always too lazy to take pics, but if anyone really want to see them installed I can do that.
The following 2 users liked this post by dimsler:
blnewt (10-25-2014), twin_snails (07-23-2013)
Old 07-23-2013, 03:40 AM
Robert_K
Registered Member

Received 125 Likes on 95 Posts
Review? Pluses... Minuses?
Old 07-23-2013, 05:14 AM
Skyline6mt
Registered Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
^Great idea. And yeah any feedback on overall performance?

also some links/more info on the actual pieces needed would be a big help.
Old 07-23-2013, 08:55 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,940 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Awesome writeup, looks like a great alternative to standard COs. I know both companies have great reputations and stand behind their products.
Old 07-23-2013, 02:31 PM
twin_snails
Premier Member

Received 174 Likes on 114 Posts
Awesome write up! Would this setup allow for a stock ride height? I am very interested in your progress and review.

I am just about to pull the trigger on Koni Yellows because my stock units are spent. Starting to get a weird wear pattern on my rear Michelin's that have 42K miles on them. Not too concerned on that but want to swap the Koni's in ASAP and have long debated on adding Swift springs but don't want the alignment/scraping issues over bumps.
Old 07-23-2013, 03:30 PM
dimsler
Registered Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by twin_snails
Awesome write up! Would this setup allow for a stock ride height? I am very interested in your progress and review.

I am just about to pull the trigger on Koni Yellows because my stock units are spent. Starting to get a weird wear pattern on my rear Michelin's that have 42K miles on them. Not too concerned on that but want to swap the Koni's in ASAP and have long debated on adding Swift springs but don't want the alignment/scraping issues over bumps.
Yes, since you're just running regular Koni shocks meant for stock ride height, You can buy swift springs of your stiffness choice to run the stock ride height. Might have to play with the rear spring lengths by ordering springs an inch taller for the back.
The following users liked this post:
twin_snails (07-24-2013)
Old 07-23-2013, 04:23 PM
jujubii
Premier Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
or instead of the rear buckets you can get SPL midlinks and mate them with 2.5 swifts (which is suggested by spl as a combo package) and get nice toe adjustment without enlarging the hole for toe bolts!

Trending Topics

Old 07-24-2013, 01:14 PM
twin_snails
Premier Member

Received 174 Likes on 114 Posts
Originally Posted by dimsler
Yes, since you're just running regular Koni shocks meant for stock ride height, You can buy swift springs of your stiffness choice to run the stock ride height. Might have to play with the rear spring lengths by ordering springs an inch taller for the back.
Thanks for the advice, Would love to see your pics installed on the Koni's. Would that be a 10" spring for the rear?

Don't mean to veer from Dimsler's topic, but if anyone is interested in a whopping crap-ton of scientific information on shocks and pretty much anything related to suspension, springs and damping, check out this article over at Far North Racing: Autocross to Win (DGs Autocross Secrets) - Shocks

And this article which talks about the importance of coaxial spring mounts and torrington bearings in the spring perches. This will allow the spring to rotate and makes adjusting ride height much easier. Autocross to Win (DGs Autocross Secrets) - Shocks

Lastly, if anyone wants to go all-out uber nerd, they also have a suspension dynamics calculator here: Autocross to Win (DGs Autocross Secrets) - Dynamics Calculator

Again, I apologize for veering off topic but felt these resources would help everyone who is looking for some of the science in suspension when making their aftermarket choices.
The following 3 users liked this post by twin_snails:
blnewt (07-24-2013), jujubii (07-24-2013), Skyline6mt (07-26-2013)
Old 10-25-2014, 06:20 PM
G37Endeavor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dimsler
I realize everyone loves KW on here, but KW are not made in Germany, they are made in Taiwan.
Sorry to bring up an old thread but for those of you researching suspensions, KW's are made from raw materials in their factory in Fichtenberg Germany, not in Taiwan. There are numerous factory tour articles and videos online showing the build process from CNC machining of the shock bodies through final assembly in this facility.
Old 11-20-2014, 10:46 AM
Herostar
Registered Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
How has this setup been working long-term?

Are you happy with your spring choices?

Could you take a few pictures for those of us who are more visual?!?!