Akebono ProACT vs Street Performance

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2016, 01:03 PM
Victory
Registered Member

Received 153 Likes on 122 Posts
Akebono ProACT vs Street Performance

Have proact's on the rear, will be doing the fronts soon and saw akebono also makes a performance pad. I was wondering if anyone has experience with both. How do they compare in dusting and noise? Most importantly, how does the initial bite and cold performance compare?

Better performance in extreme cases is nice, but not at the expense of regular day-to-day performance. I'm much more likely to need to make an emergency stop on cold brakes in the wet than I am fading the brakes with multiple hard braking events in short order. When i do ring the car out, it's usually a back-road run of a relatively short duration, so, either the Street Performace pads manage to strike an excellent balance or I'll save $30 and get the ProACT's
Old 01-12-2017, 08:21 AM
Ape Factory
Registered Member

Received 322 Likes on 231 Posts
I couldn't find a part number for the Akebono Sport brakes for the ProACT pad and admittedly, I only looked at one auto parts store website. I'd just make sure they're not the OEM Infiniti pad. I ended up going with the Nismo pads which are Ferodo and they're an improvement over the OEM pad, for street driving, by a good margin. I'm still bedding them in so I don't have any sort of an in-depth report on them yet.
Old 01-12-2017, 12:57 PM
Elco
Registered Member

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
I have the ProAct on my G37 and they are the best pads i ever used.
Very good performance in any weather, with No dusting.
Old 01-13-2017, 12:28 AM
Victory
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Elco
I have the ProAct on my G37 and they are the best pads i ever used.
Very good performance in any weather, with No dusting.
I do like the pro-act's on the rear, although i've been hearing a loud clicking noise when i first brake in the morning or sometimes when stopping in reverse, so i want to take a look at them the next time i have a chance. I suspect it's an issue with the brake hardware and not the brakes.

I'm wondering if anyone has used both the ProATC and Performance pads and saw any appreciable difference in performance, noise or dusting.
Old 01-13-2017, 05:51 AM
Surfnazi
Registered Member

Received 176 Likes on 165 Posts
Could be your piston needing rebuild in your caliper
Old 01-13-2017, 08:49 AM
Elco
Registered Member

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
Yes. they do squeak on reverse, especially on cold weather.
But i don't consider that an issue...
The clicking noise is most likely from the rear CV axle... is a common (small) issue on RWD and AWD nissan's.
Old 01-13-2017, 03:30 PM
Victory
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Elco
Yes. they do squeak on reverse, especially on cold weather.
But i don't consider that an issue...
The clicking noise is most likely from the rear CV axle... is a common (small) issue on RWD and AWD nissan's.
i dont get any squeeking, just the one loud click when the brakes engage for the first time in drive or reverse. Is that CV Axle issue a thing on 2013's? The last TSB i can find for it is 2009

Trending Topics

Old 01-13-2017, 11:48 PM
TBau651

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
I dropped in ProActs last summer. Sufficient stopping power for a daily, cost effective, no noise, & little to no brake dust. I call them a win.. FWIW