Just bought Fortune Auto 500 coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2016, 11:49 PM
Presto

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by yonith
So here's the update. The shop owner finished the install. He said he was having so much trouble with the camber because I had the centric bolt from another car instead of the one that should be there?

Car drove like **** with severe rattling of the steering wheel and noises coming from the back. Turns out the "slip on spacers" he out on weren't hubcentric. I was wondering how those got out on for free... So after those got taken off the front the steering wheel vibration disappeared. The rattling from the back was bc of too little tension on some spring.

He also said he had to reassemble the coilovers because I had 10k in the front and 8k in the back which is backwards.

jesus christ whoever installed your coils has really f***ed up. run away from that place, do not ever go back there. Now your coils have probably been ruing when he "reassembled" them. wow just wow, some shops need to be burnt to the ground with the owner and mechanics in them.

Last edited by Presto; 11-24-2016 at 11:38 PM.
Old 11-24-2016, 12:56 AM
saywat?
Registered Member

Received 276 Likes on 238 Posts
There's also something about coilovers being preloaded to spec. If u disassemble it it should be preloaded the same way. Some **** like that
Old 11-24-2016, 09:40 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Originally Posted by Presto
jesus christ whoever installed your coils has really f***ed up. run away from that place, do not every go back there. Now your coils have probably been ruing when he "reassembled" them. wow just wow, some shops need to be burnt to the ground with the owner and mechanics in them.
This, this, this^^^^^
Old 11-26-2016, 12:05 PM
yonith

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm so frustrated with this knowing that my springs may be backwards. Is there any way I can visually tell if he did in fact disassemble the coilovers and switch the springs?
Old 11-29-2016, 12:02 AM
Ape Factory
Registered Member

Received 322 Likes on 231 Posts
A lot of coil springs will have a label on one of the coils somewhere. Some put it on the bottom, where the flat part is that mates to either the top or bottom mount (like Ohlins). If I look at my aragosta springs, it's written on the spring and is clearly visible.
Old 11-29-2016, 12:09 AM
saywat?
Registered Member

Received 276 Likes on 238 Posts
Hey yonith any updates? I'm curious wat the conversation ur having with them is like since they fked up hard.
Old 12-03-2016, 01:49 AM
Presto

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts
if he is smart he will not use that shop for even for topping up the windshield washer fluid.
He needs to contact fortune auto, send them lots of pics, look for any sort of marking on the springs. probably send the coils back to fortune auto so they can look up what epic fubar the shop has done to these coils and fix it.
Old 12-15-2016, 10:03 PM
yonith

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
So I brought the car to another shop (Car Toyz in Pleasantville NJ) and I think everything is ok now! They were great there and couldn't have been nicer and more accommodating. They even got me a loaner 2017 Altima the last day. I explained the spring situation and the mechanic who worked on the car did not think the springs were switched. He said they would not have sat correctly since the spring is different in that it sits separate from the shock. He said the original mechanic may have just bull****ted me saying that to buy him time and jack up my bill.

Where they ran into issues was raising the rear to 27 1/4. The rear coilover was maxed out so he said he had to adjust at the spring (turning it). Not sure what that means but it works. I'm not entirely sure I got the 8" rear springs even though the FA quality check cert says it's there.

The rear coilover adjustment extenders were then rattling after that first visit. The mechanic was able to fix that by running them slightly differently and wrapped them in some kind of textured tape so it would not clank against the metal under the carpet in the trunk behind the seats. At least the 15mm spacers went on without issue...hah.

The car looks great. It's exactly what I wanted. I just have stock "duck feet" wheels and a tint but it's really clean and sporty to me.

Ride quality is pretty harsh but boy does it handle. It's such a relief to have the car working properly that I'm scared to touch the dampening. Turn in feels much more responsive. Body roll is gone. I honestly feel like the car is at the point now where if I push any harder around turns that the rear will swing out. I do regret not getting grand touring tires when I replaced in March. It would probably help with road noise and ride (at the expense of handling of course). I'll post pics soon after a wash.
Old 12-15-2016, 10:23 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Hopefully all your issues are finally resolved and you can now enjoy your G again. Keep us posted and hopefully that second shop didn't set you back too much green. Post up some pics when you can. And it takes some getting used to the increased NVH w/ coilovers but I would always suggest going w/ the best performing tires over touring tires and just deal w/ more of the background noise
Old 12-15-2016, 11:07 PM
Ape Factory
Registered Member

Received 322 Likes on 231 Posts
Glad you got everything straightened out. Don't be afraid to play with the damping. Just count how many clicks you have now and keep a record. You can start with the current settings as a base and make changes to both ends in equal amounts.

You may get to a point where the front end feels just right between firmness and compliance and the rears may feel off one way or the other. Simply adjust those until both ends feel equal and you're happy with how the car rotates (understeer, oversteer or neutral) as your damping can have a real effect on how the car turns. But you're not going to screw anything up. They're single adjustable so it's as simple as counting clicks.

It's usually best to always start at full firm and back down the adjusters to the desired setting.