Feeling at slight shudder at speed (70+)

Old 08-07-2015, 07:55 PM
xpcgamer
Registered Member

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Feeling at slight shudder at speed (70+)

I have slight shuddering in the steering wheel when I brake. I think it my be embedded material on the rotors. I will replace them with something slotted later but I wanted to know if that would cause a shudder at speed. When driving home today it was the first time I took to 70 (actually I went to 120 but was cruising at 70) and the shudder is slight. I can feel it more than see my steering wheel moving. I also install refinished coupe wheels and new tires. They where high speed balanced so I am not sure if they could be the problem since I never got up to "speed" with the stock 17's.
Old 08-07-2015, 11:09 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,940 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Originally Posted by xpcgamer
I have slight shuddering in the steering wheel when I brake. I think it my be embedded material on the rotors. I will replace them with something slotted later but I wanted to know if that would cause a shudder at speed. When driving home today it was the first time I took to 70 (actually I went to 120 but was cruising at 70) and the shudder is slight. I can feel it more than see my steering wheel moving. I also install refinished coupe wheels and new tires. They where high speed balanced so I am not sure if they could be the problem since I never got up to "speed" with the stock 17's.
If it's only when you apply the brakes then it sounds like uneven pad deposits or excess rotor runout. If you can isolate the vibration to the front or rear then have that pair of rotors turned or at the least scotchbrite the rotors w/ brake cleaner to clean them up.
Old 08-08-2015, 08:16 AM
xpcgamer
Registered Member

I also feel the vibration at speed thou. And these rotors can be "turned"? BMW always said not to. I figured all newer cars could not have that done.
Old 08-08-2015, 08:34 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Originally Posted by xpcgamer
I also feel the vibration at speed thou. And these rotors can be "turned"? BMW always said not to. I figured all newer cars could not have that done.
Well if it's also at speed w/out any brake applied then it could also be wheel related, a shop w/ a hunter road force machine would be best in this case. If the vibration gets much worse when the brakes are applied then I would go back to my first reply.
Old 08-08-2015, 03:05 PM
xpcgamer
Registered Member

I think I found the problem. While washing "Brutus" I noticed that my front right wheel has a TON of sticky weights on one side. Either the guy could not balance it correctly, the refinished wheel is wonky or the tire is out of balance somehow. I will take it back to my buddy and see if he can nail it down. I'll be back!
Old 08-16-2015, 11:10 AM
TVPostSound
Registered Member

Received 114 Likes on 87 Posts
"Brutus"?

Rotate the wheels.
See if the vibration goes to the rear.
Old 08-18-2015, 01:37 PM
xpcgamer
Registered Member

Originally Posted by TVPostSound
"Brutus"?

Rotate the wheels.
See if the vibration goes to the rear.
Can't I'm staggered.
Also the guy who balanced them 1. Did not do a good job at all and 2. Did not index the tires. My buddy rebalanced them the best he could but said the tires need to be indexed. The shudder is way better. Ran down to the Keys this Sunday with the family and doing 75 all the way down it did not bother me at all. Barely felt it. Once I have to replace the tires I will get them indexed correctly.

Oh and the last "Obsession" was named Cesar so I figured why not Brutus for the next one?
Old 09-04-2015, 09:40 PM
xpcgamer
Registered Member

After chasing this for a couple of weeks I now know what the issue is. First the Vert wheels where refinished so there was paint/material in the hub area of the wheels. I wire brushed it off and reinstalled. I still had the problem and it turn out to be paint of the Lug seats of the wheels that would not let the lug nuts seat. They would loosen which would cause the shaking.
I figured I would update this thread so if anyone found it thru "Google" they could read the resolution.
Old 09-05-2015, 08:27 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Nice find Xpc, So you just removed all that new paint in the lug seats? Glad you found that out since it sounds like it could have been dangerous too.
Old 09-05-2015, 09:28 AM
xpcgamer
Registered Member

Well yes^ and no. I was able to get the paint off the hub area of the wheel but now I'm trying to get it off the Lug Seats. I think after removing the lugs so much after some recent work (1st when I put the wheels on, then to balance them again, then to install the Tein's, then for the front Camber kit, and now for the new rotors and pads) the paint is slowly coming off. I'm going to check the torque again later today.