Help Just beded brakes now one rotor heating up

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2014, 11:26 PM
landslide03

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Just beded brakes now one rotor heating up

Hi Guys,

I just got my rotors turned and installed new stop tech brake pads. I bedded them per stop techs web sight. After bedding them the rotors were hot and smelled but that was to be expected. So about 10 hours afterwards I was driving home and not doign any aggressive braking. When i got home I walked by my passengers side rear brake and could smell and feel the heat emiting from the rotor. I got my temp gun and it was around 268 degrees. all of my other rotors were at about 120 degrees. Did possibly a piston get stuck or is this normal after bedding the brakes?

Thanks for all your help!
Old 08-30-2014, 07:33 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Originally Posted by landslide03
Hi Guys,

I just got my rotors turned and installed new stop tech brake pads. I bedded them per stop techs web sight. After bedding them the rotors were hot and smelled but that was to be expected. So about 10 hours afterwards I was driving home and not doign any aggressive braking. When i got home I walked by my passengers side rear brake and could smell and feel the heat emiting from the rotor. I got my temp gun and it was around 268 degrees. all of my other rotors were at about 120 degrees. Did possibly a piston get stuck or is this normal after bedding the brakes?

You have the smaller brakes (non Akebono) right? The floating calipers need more attention w/ grease, sounds like a slider may be hanging, here's a little list of things, #2 in particular to look out for~
Top Ten Brake Job Mistakes For Pads, Rotors and Calipers | Safe BrakingSafe Braking
The back of the brake pad and the sides where they slide in the clip channel also need greasing. Hopefully that hung caliper didn't overheat your rotor, it's time for you to enjoy your car
G/L
Old 08-30-2014, 07:48 AM
telcoman
Registered Member

Received 161 Likes on 139 Posts
Originally Posted by landslide03
Hi Guys,

Have you carefully followed the FSM?

http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/G37/Sedan/2013/BR.pdf

Did you check for any drag as mentioned on page 65 after replacing the pads and rotors that you did not need?

https://www.myg37.com/forums/brakes-...ning-them.html

Telcoman
Old 08-31-2014, 01:49 AM
landslide03

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Yup I got them all fixed...No Telcoman I did not take it to dealer! I took the pins out greased them up again, loosened the ebrake a notch and pushed the piston back in and now each brake is within about 20 degrees of each other. It may have been a combo or just one thing but I just redid it and now everything is good!
Old 08-31-2014, 05:41 AM
telcoman
Registered Member

Received 161 Likes on 139 Posts
Great!
Glad you found the problem.
I suppose it was a good learning experience for you.

I would never do that on an almost brand new vehicle.
I no longer have the patience to spend more than a week fixing something that wasn't broke in the first place. I did brakes many years ago rebuilding individual wheel cylinders.
I have no desire to do it any longer as I can afford to have repairs such as this done at the dealer.I got almost 86k miles on my OEM brakes on my 06 G35 and the dealer installed replacements were still on the vehicle when I traded it in at 171796 miles giving me another 86k miles on OEM pads with about 3mm left on them. In 9 years on two Infiniti's I only had to replace brakes once. Not worth buying the additional tools necessary for bleeding etc. in my opinion.
I'm not sure what your expectations are on your new brake pads.

I'm satisfied with mine on my current 2012 G37S and will turn 47k miles on my current ones next week.

Having a paper copy of the FSM assists in making a decision as to whether to attempt a repair or let the dealer do it. Much easier to work with than a free on line PDF.

Name:  NikonPictures0601083006.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  46.5 KB

Cheers

Telcoman

Last edited by telcoman; 08-31-2014 at 07:00 AM.
Old 08-31-2014, 10:14 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Now go out and enjoy your car Damnit, it's been too long
The following users liked this post:
telcoman (08-31-2014)