New Akebono BBK on the cheap!

Old 07-27-2015, 11:59 PM
GhOsT2010

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
blnewt: I was wondering about changing the color of the new calipers. What would be the best route.( powder coat, paint, ect) New to the whole mod scene. Just picked up my G37x about 5/6 weeks ago.
Old 07-28-2015, 08:54 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,940 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Originally Posted by GhOsT2010
blnewt: I was wondering about changing the color of the new calipers. What would be the best route.( powder coat, paint, ect) New to the whole mod scene. Just picked up my G37x about 5/6 weeks ago.
Powder coat will be more durable and now that they have so many colors available you should find something you like. You will have to remove the pistons and seals to have that done.
Painting if done properly w/ good prep will also yield nice results as per this thread
Spray-painted Akebono's - G35Driver
Old 07-28-2015, 10:38 AM
GhOsT2010

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thank you. I appreciate it very much. I'm going to look for some powder coat shops here in chicago. See if they can take them apart or do it myself.(depending on cost)
Old 07-28-2015, 11:30 AM
GFTW
Registered Member

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Huge thank to Brad!! If it wasn't for your thread, I wouldn't even have thought about this upgrade.

And FYI, if you buy the centric posi-quiet pads, you don't need to buy the brake hardwares because they come with the pads.
The following 2 users liked this post by GFTW:
blnewt (07-28-2015), djdiskino (08-25-2015)
Old 07-28-2015, 02:16 PM
TheLocNar
Registered Member

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by GFTW
Huge thank to Brad!! If it wasn't for your thread, I wouldn't even have thought about this upgrade.

And FYI, if you buy the centric posi-quiet pads, you don't need to buy the brake hardwares because they come with the pads.
Yup. Found that out myself. So now I have a spare hardware set. lol

Shims are embedded in the pads too.
Old 07-28-2015, 08:30 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Glad it worked out for both of you and good to know that the Centric pads come w/ the hardware. Usually rockauto is good about posting pics of everything that comes w/ the order but in this case they just show the pads
Never hurts to have extra clips & pins though
Old 07-28-2015, 09:56 PM
TheLocNar
Registered Member

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts
And they are cheap, so I'm not losing sleep over it.
Old 08-25-2015, 09:23 AM
djdiskino

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts
Tons of great information in here. I know these are all new-remans we are talking about in here but I wasn't able to find any info on the forums here about rebuilding second-hand calipers.

Long story short I bought some OEM Akebono's from an 09 G37. I want to rebuild them as I think it's probably best to replace all the seals or at least that's what I was told. I bought them for $700 shipped because the guy was trying to get rid of them an already landed a different brake setup for his 350Z

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Old 08-25-2015, 10:16 AM
GFTW
Registered Member

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by djdiskino
Tons of great information in here. I know these are all new-remans we are talking about in here but I wasn't able to find any info on the forums here about rebuilding second-hand calipers.

Long story short I bought some OEM Akebono's from an 09 G37. I want to rebuild them as I think it's probably best to replace all the seals or at least that's what I was told. I bought them for $700 shipped because the guy was trying to get rid of them an already landed a different brake setup for his 350Z

I bought a set of Akebono calipers NEW for just a little over $800. It's a little more expensive than the used ones but saves you from headache IMO.

I found a rebuild DIY on the 370Z forum
Hope this helps!
The following users liked this post:
djdiskino (08-27-2015)
Old 08-26-2015, 10:46 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Originally Posted by djdiskino

Actually this thread started w/ remanufactured calipers but since they're so rare I updated the first post several months ago w/ info on using brand new calipers from an online OEM Infiniti part source. The price goes up but still around $1100 to 1200 depending on if you want new brake lines or not.

As far as rebuilding your calipers, here you go~
Go to RockAuto Parts Catalog and click on "Infiniti" then "year", then "G37", then "Brake/Wheel Hub", then "Caliper Repair Kit", then you'll need 2 of each part #
Rear caliper (x2) CENTRIC 14342039
Front Caliper (x2) CENTRIC 14342038

Also if you're going to dismantle your calipers that would be a good time to have them powdercoated or painted if that's of interest to you.

Originally Posted by GFTW

I found a rebuild DIY on the 370Z forum

Hope this helps!
Nice find on that rebuild link
The following users liked this post:
djdiskino (08-27-2015)
Old 09-29-2015, 03:10 PM
nbast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by blnewt
Also the brake hardware kits can be ordered from RockAuto Parts Catalog (these are just over $6 a kit, about $80 less than Infiniti prices)

Front kit Centric # 11742053
Rear kit Centric # 11742054
I just wanted to note that you only need one of each brake hardware kit, the kits include parts for both sides. I ordered two of each by mistake. The front pads I ordered also came with a kit included, but I didn't see that noted anywhere, so don't know if that's normal or an unusual inclusion. So I have two extra front kits and one extra rear kit.

I'm getting everything installed on Thursday after getting the dealer to lower their labor price a bit. Third party shops are still cheaper, but I'd rather have this done at the dealer.
Old 09-29-2015, 05:54 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Originally Posted by nbast
I just wanted to note that you only need one of each brake hardware kit, the kits include parts for both sides. I ordered two of each by mistake. The front pads I ordered also came with a kit included, but I didn't see that noted anywhere, so don't know if that's normal or an unusual inclusion. So I have two extra front kits and one extra rear kit.

I'm getting everything installed on Thursday after getting the dealer to lower their labor price a bit. Third party shops are still cheaper, but I'd rather have this done at the dealer.
I'll put it in bold that you only need one kit per axle. And some pads have the hardware and some don't I believe the Posi Quiets do and the Stoptech Street pads don't. Which pads did you end up with, the Posi Quiets?
Post up pics when you get them installed.
Old 10-01-2015, 06:40 PM
nbast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by blnewt
I'll put it in bold that you only need one kit per axle. And some pads have the hardware and some don't I believe the Posi Quiets do and the Stoptech Street pads don't. Which pads did you end up with, the Posi Quiets?
Post up pics when you get them installed.
Great!

I ordered the Posi Quiet pads. Fronts came with a kit, rears didn't.

Now I have to deal with a mis-shipped caliper. DiscountInfinitParts sent two left rears and I didn't notice. My car now has three new calipers...

**edit**
They're overnighting the correct caliper. Annoying that they shipped the wrong one, and especially that I didn't notice, but their response to resolve the issue has been great.

Last edited by nbast; 10-02-2015 at 09:51 AM.
Old 10-07-2015, 09:50 AM
djdiskino

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts
Adding useful info to this post. I found a video just added on YouTube with very good detailed steps of taking apart the sport calipers and rebuilding them should just be the reverse of this video with new deals etc.

One note: there is a seal that goes in between the two halves which the video poster mentioned in an answer to a comment on his video. The brake fluid travels through this seal to get pressure to the other side of the caliper.

Hope this helps anyone else rebuilding a set of used calipers or sending out for powder coating.
The following 3 users liked this post by djdiskino:
bigc (11-25-2015), blnewt (10-07-2015), VIVID (10-07-2015)
Old 11-25-2015, 11:32 AM
G37xhibeet

Received 93 Likes on 77 Posts
I saw BrakePerformance discussed here. This kit Premium Dimpled & Slotted Brake Kit can be had for $406 or $433 with the Ceramic Premium Pads. So are their pads good or would I be better off going for the cheaper $406 and getting pads elsewhere?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New Akebono BBK on the cheap!