New Akebono BBK on the cheap!

Old 11-25-2015, 04:17 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,940 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Originally Posted by G37xhibeet
I saw BrakePerformance discussed here. This kit Premium Dimpled & Slotted Brake Kit can be had for $406 or $433 with the Ceramic Premium Pads. So are their pads good or would I be better off going for the cheaper $406 and getting pads elsewhere?
I still have their rotors in back and they've been fine, I think I'd go w/ a name brand pad though. The Hawk 5.0 pads would be something to consider, are getting great reviews from all I've read.
I had the Stoptech Street pads (still have them in back) and they've been a nice upgrade over OEM for sure, but dust quite a bit.
You can get the Premium Drilled Slotted (in black zinc) for $340 and then get pads of your choice, that's what I'd recommend if you want a drilled/slotted set.

Last edited by blnewt; 11-25-2015 at 04:23 PM.
Old 11-25-2015, 05:03 PM
G37xhibeet

Received 93 Likes on 77 Posts
Originally Posted by blnewt
I still have their rotors in back and they've been fine, I think I'd go w/ a name brand pad though. The Hawk 5.0 pads would be something to consider, are getting great reviews from all I've read.
I had the Stoptech Street pads (still have them in back) and they've been a nice upgrade over OEM for sure, but dust quite a bit.
You can get the Premium Drilled Slotted (in black zinc) for $340 and then get pads of your choice, that's what I'd recommend if you want a drilled/slotted set.
I was leaning to dimpled/slotted but if you recommend the drilled/slotted, then I'll def go for that and save some money
Old 11-25-2015, 05:14 PM
VIVID
Pyroclastic Flow

Received 358 Likes on 277 Posts
Brad and this thread were an enormous help to me. Thanks to him I saved enough to put money back in my kids' college fund.

I went with Stoptech slotted from Rockauto:

Sean
Old 01-31-2016, 02:03 PM
cyprezz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what about parking brake? anything to buy to make it work?
Old 01-31-2016, 10:45 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Originally Posted by cyprezz
what about parking brake? anything to buy to make it work?
No, the new bigger rear rotors use the same parking brake parts/pads as the smaller rotors.
The following users liked this post:
HS125 (02-01-2016)
Old 02-03-2016, 09:04 PM
Upscale Speed
Premier Member

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts
I have goodridge stianless lines now will those bolt right up?
Old 02-03-2016, 09:54 PM
Upscale Speed
Premier Member

Also what about caliper brackets. Do the Akebono's bolt up to the non-sport caliper brackets?

I think that's all I need to know besides the stainless lines and also will i need shorter banjo bolts even if I have Goodridge stainless lines now?
Old 02-03-2016, 10:22 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Originally Posted by Upscale Speed
I have goodridge stianless lines now will those bolt right up?
I think you will need the shorter banjos since your lines are for the floating calipers but not 100% sure.

Also what about caliper brackets. Do the Akebono's bolt up to the non-sport caliper brackets?

I think that's all I need to know besides the stainless lines and also will i need shorter banjo bolts even if I have Goodridge stainless lines now?
Yep, the Akenonos bolt right up to the OEM mounts, the dust shields are the only other modification you need to deal with and it's shown here~
http://www.370zcoupe.com/install-ake...z-or-350z.html
Old 02-07-2016, 10:58 AM
Ihtbealexxx

Received 47 Likes on 23 Posts
Just got my upgrade put in last night. Loving the new brakes. The old non sport brakes felt mushy, plus the pads were gonna go soon so I was happy to get rid of the creaking and squealing. Brakes now feel much more responsive and with more bite. I no longer have to clench my cheeks whenever a NYC cab cuts me off in rush hour traffic. Calipers look great and was surprised at how big they were after I put my wheels back on.

Going to keep it as is for 6 months or so before I switch to slotted and drilled rotors in the summer and Project Mu pads. Might even do a powder coat on them in baby blue. Out of all the other wheel/engine/exhaust mods I've done so far, this is actually my favorite one at the moment.

Total for parts was 1,200 and change with shipping included. Install cost me 300 for brakes + oil change and some underbody work to solve my scrape issues lately.
Snappingturtle (03-03-2016)
Old 02-07-2016, 12:26 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Originally Posted by Ihtbealexxx
Just got my upgrade put in last night. Loving the new brakes. The old non sport brakes felt mushy, plus the pads were gonna go soon so I was happy to get rid of the creaking and squealing. Brakes now feel much more responsive and with more bite. I no longer have to clench my cheeks whenever a NYC cab cuts me off in rush hour traffic. Calipers look great and was surprised at how big they were after I put my wheels back on.

Going to keep it as is for 6 months or so before I switch to slotted and drilled rotors in the summer and Project Mu pads. Might even do a powder coat on them in baby blue. Out of all the other wheel/engine/exhaust mods I've done so far, this is actually my favorite one at the moment.

Total for parts was 1,200 and change with shipping included. Install cost me 300 for brakes + oil change and some underbody work to solve my scrape issues lately.
Nice update!
Did the pads come w/ the complete hardware kit? If so I need to update the first post in the thread.
Old 02-17-2016, 10:44 AM
Upscale Speed
Premier Member

So I ordered Hawk HPS pads and they come with shims already on the pads, so that's good. I got shorted banjo bolts, ordered hardware kits which comes with pins and clips. However, the kit didn't come with caliper pin boots. I'm assuming the BBK calipers come with boots. I checked RockAuto and couldn't find them, only for the base model brakes. If someone could point me to where I find those that would be great.
Old 02-17-2016, 03:42 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

So I ordered Hawk HPS pads and they come with shims already on the pads, so that's good. I got shorted banjo bolts, ordered hardware kits which comes with pins and clips. However, the kit didn't come with caliper pin boots. I'm assuming the BBK calipers come with boots. I checked RockAuto and couldn't find them, only for the base model brakes. If someone could point me to where I find those that would be great.
Those boots are for the floating calipers, you won't need them on the fixed Akebono sets.
Upscale Speed (02-17-2016)
Old 02-17-2016, 05:11 PM
Upscale Speed
Premier Member

thank you Brad.
Old 02-19-2016, 04:19 PM
Ihtbealexxx

Received 47 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by blnewt
Nice update!
Did the pads come w/ the complete hardware kit? If so I need to update the first post in the thread.
I'm like 80% sure the pads came with hardware, but I bought the hardware separately just in case. I'll check the next time I go to my storage locker to see if there's an extra set in the boxes with the old brakes
Old 03-02-2016, 05:20 PM
Upscale Speed
Premier Member

Got my calipers yesterday, they are awesome. questions. The rears have a plate attached to them with a hard line, but the fronts don't. Is that right? Also will my brake lines connect right up to the rear in the space where the old block was?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New Akebono BBK on the cheap!