New Akebono BBK on the cheap!

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2015, 10:17 AM
AUaviator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by efuseakay
Thank you! And it's all your fault now that I have finally pieced together everything. Here's what I did.

Calipers from Discount Infiniti parts (the most costly part of this puzzle) - chose free shipping option

SS lines and disk brake hardware kit (caliper kit I am assuming) from Rock Auto

Rotors/Pads from BrakePerformance.com - Interestingly enough, the same rotors I chose with their no-name pads (which I'll probably sell) were much cheaper vs. just rotors alone. Some silly weekend promotion. And I got an extra $5 off with code MEDIA31

I'll get some Motul fluid from Amazon with gift card/points balance.

Much appreciated!
Is that promotion still going on? Also, what did it all run cost wise? I'm looking to do this to my XS.
Old 06-22-2015, 10:38 AM
TheLocNar
Registered Member

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts
The BrakePerformance promo seems to still be going on. A big 30% off banner still on their main page.

I went with the dimple/slotted kit with the black zinc coating, and kept the semi-metallic pad option to keep the cost down ($368.28). I'll more than likely just toss those on the trash. lol

Total was $1300ish. Could have been quite a bit less but I went with a few pricey options. SS lines, the rotors, and new OEM calipers.

Last edited by TheLocNar; 06-22-2015 at 10:53 AM.
Old 06-22-2015, 11:11 AM
TheLocNar
Registered Member

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts
blnewt, I'll just go with some posi-quiets from RockAuto. No track in my near future.

*Update* 6-24-2015

FedEx just dropped off the calipers I ordered from DiscountInfinitiParts. That was super fast, and I even selected free shipping! Ordered Sunday night just before midnight. 3 days to Chicago from MN. These guys are legit!

Last edited by TheLocNar; 06-24-2015 at 11:39 AM.
Old 07-16-2015, 10:47 PM
Carfanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Smile

Blnewt , need your help once again finally pulled the trigger on the following

4 Sports calipers G37 OEM
4 Sports rotors OEM
FRONT AND REAR OEM SPORTS PADS

i'm going to be fitting them onto my G37x coupe, i think i need a few more things however i have no idea but i think a banjo bolt and some ss lines lol

can you please advise

Thank You bud im almost done cant wait
and your a super asset to this forum much respect !

Originally Posted by blnewt
Deleted info about remanufactured calipers, scroll to Update below for that info.
Once you locate the calipers you can get the rotors & lines at rockauto.com
Rear rotors Centric C-tek CENTRIC Part # 12142101 ($31 each)
Front rotors CENTRIC Part # 12142100 ($44 each)
PosiQuiet Ceramic Front CENTRIC Part # 10513460 ($38 set)
PosiQuiet Ceramic Rear CENTRIC Part # 10513470 ($30 set)
As far as lines, that will depend on Sedan or Coupe so you'd have to look those up on your own, but should be about $70 for the F&R sets and about twice that for Stainless lines.
So your grand total would be
$850 or less for calipers
$150 rotors
$70 pads
$70 lines
So about $1200 for a paint ready BBK, everything included.
Obviously pad & rotor upgrades will add to the bottom line but still a good deal!
***UPDATE***
Used rebuilt calipers have become extremely scarce but getting brand new calipers directly from Infiniti parts still keeps the costs low and the calipers will be fully painted and ready to install.
Here's the part #s and the place is Discount Infiniti Parts | Genuine, OEM Infiniti Parts | Infiniti Accessories | Huge Instock Inventory (you must state that your vehicle is equipped w/ sport brakes such as a G37 S coupe, if you list your VIN# you may be sent the calipers that came on your vehicle, and you don't want them, lol).
41001JL02A Front right caliper

41011JL02A Front left

44001JL02A Rear Right

44011JL02A Rear Left

Also the brake hardware kits can be ordered from RockAuto Parts Catalog (these are just over $6 a kit, about $80 less than Infiniti prices)

Front kit Centric # 11742053
Rear kit Centric # 11742054

And you don't NEED new brake lines, just shorter banjo bolts, here's the size you need~ 17mm m10 1.0 banjo bolt (you can get these at a place like NAPA auto parts)

If you want SS lines rockauto has the best deal on that too
Stoptech SS lines
Front Centric # 95042012
Rear Centric # 95042503

So going w/ brand new calipers bumps the price up about $200 but not needing new lines should keep the total to less than $1100.
Old 07-17-2015, 02:12 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,940 Likes on 4,174 Posts
The Stoptech lines come w/ the banjo bolts that work for the Akebonos. You'll also need one front hardware kit and one rear hardware kit (one kit for front calipers, one kit for rear set) from rockauto.
Oh, and thanks for the kind words!
Old 07-18-2015, 02:54 PM
Carfanatic

Any time bud you deserve the credit !!!, i'll post a pic of my car and show you when my build is done .

So when you say hardware kit front and rear im guessing you talking about shims ?

but the calipers i bought already have pads in them so can i assume the hardware is already present ?

also im worried about winter time , my stock rims are 18's and im fairly certain the fronts will not clear so i'll need spacer im guessing 15mm ?

sorry for all the question
Old 07-18-2015, 02:55 PM
Carfanatic

Also you said "And you don't NEED new brake lines, just shorter banjo bolts, here's the size you need~ 17mm m10 1.0 banjo bolt (you can get these at a place like NAPA auto parts)"

So can i do this or do you recommend i get stoptech lines?
Old 07-18-2015, 03:08 PM
Carfanatic

if i buy these pads would i still need the hardware kit :
PosiQuiet Ceramic Front CENTRIC Part # 10513460 ($38 set)
PosiQuiet Ceramic Rear CENTRIC Part # 10513470 ($30 set)

is the stopping power any good ?
Old 07-18-2015, 09:58 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

The hardware kit comes with the clips that hold the pads and the pins, no shims. In this pic it's the 2 gold clips on the left along w/ the pins and the same on the right, the shims are below the hardware kits

If your calipers came with old lines they should have teh correct banjo bolts, if you don't have lines I'd just get the stoptech sets. If you just need the banjo bolts this seems to be the best place, they aren't very easy to find after all
https://conceptzperformance.com/Cart...n.php?II=13378
The pads you listed are OK but the Stoptech street pads would be a better choice for stopping power but they will dust more (IMO I'll put up w/ more dust to stop better) And you won't need shims w/ those, but you should use CRC caliper grease on all the metal on metal moving parts.
B
Old 07-19-2015, 12:34 AM
Carfanatic

Any chance you might know if rock auto might have any high performance pads?
It's becoming so difficult choosing pads for my new set up since I'm so nervous of buying the wrong stuff returns take forever ,

So I'll buy the stop tech lines since my calipers don't come with any lines
And I guess I shouldn't be using my stock lines... Now the calipers come with OEM pads with 60% life , you think I should stop tech street pads any chance you know where from
Old 07-19-2015, 12:37 AM
Carfanatic

Also wouldn't the calipers I bought already have a hardware kit and how come if I buy
The stop tech street pads why wouldn't I need the hardware kit ?

The seller of my calipers said that the pads are already installed in the caliper so can I assume I don't need a hard ware kit or am I not understanding what a hardware kit is ?
Old 07-19-2015, 11:56 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Originally Posted by Carfanatic
Any chance you might know if rock auto might have any high performance pads?
It's becoming so difficult choosing pads for my new set up since I'm so nervous of buying the wrong stuff returns take forever ,

So I'll buy the stop tech lines since my calipers don't come with any lines
And I guess I shouldn't be using my stock lines... Now the calipers come with OEM pads with 60% life , you think I should stop tech street pads any chance you know where from
You can surely use your OEM pads, they're adequate and just upgrading to the BBK will be an improvement over your current brake setup. I'd run them as is, and then if you think you want to upgrade to a more performance pad you can do so later on.

Also wouldn't the calipers I bought already have a hardware kit and how come if I buy
The stop tech street pads why wouldn't I need the hardware kit ?

The seller of my calipers said that the pads are already installed in the caliper so can I assume I don't need a hard ware kit or am I not understanding what a hardware kit is ?
If you're buying used calipers w/ pads installed then yes, the hardware should be w/ them. And the question about the Stoptech pads, they DON'T require shims, that's not the same as the hardware kit. Look at that pic above, the shims are BELOW the hardware kit.
You can use your stock lines but you will need those banjo bolts if you go that route, and that link I gave you seems to be the only place you can get them.
G/L
The following users liked this post:
Carfanatic (07-20-2015)
Old 07-19-2015, 05:46 PM
Carfanatic

Thanks Bud appreciate it
Old 07-22-2015, 02:36 PM
Carfanatic

Exclamation Crap one more question

Blwnet , i ordered this from rockauto Posi-Quiet Ceramic w/Shims and hardware-P and didnt order the hardware kit you mentioned because it says 10513460 "Posi-Quiet Ceramic w/Shims and hardware-P "

comes with the hardware kit , is this a correct assumption or did i screw up and will need to go to the dealer to by the hardware kit's you mentioned in your original post ?
Old 07-22-2015, 07:16 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Blwnet , i ordered this from rockauto Posi-Quiet Ceramic w/Shims and hardware-P and didnt order the hardware kit you mentioned because it says 10513460 "Posi-Quiet Ceramic w/Shims and hardware-P "

comes with the hardware kit , is this a correct assumption or did i screw up and will need to go to the dealer to by the hardware kit's you mentioned in your original post ?
That part # is the front set, you'll still need the rear set which is
part # 10513470, as far as harware, pads don't come w/ caliper hardware, but if yours already have pads installed then you should have the hardware. If not you need this number for the front Centric #11742053
and rear Centric #11742054 both sets go for $6.54, MUCH cheaper than the dealer, you'll be up to over $120 if you go through the dealers for those kits

Quick Reply: New Akebono BBK on the cheap!