bouncy suspension on g37xS

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2013, 11:12 AM
chris_s

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
bouncy suspension on g37xS

Hello,

I've got a 2009 g37xS (canadian model if it matters) sedan, 105,000km on it.
I've noticed it's a bit bouncy/floaty over rolling pavement. If I could slow the rebound damping it would resolve the issue (to better help describe what is happening)

Is this how the OEM shocks are always, or are they maybe coming up for replacement?

I notice that at very high speeds (200kmph) it is a bit floaty, might be related or it might just be how it is at that type of speeds. Closed course driving, naturally.

From my understanding there are no aftermarket options for the front shocks for the AWD models, is that still accurate?

I would be ok with a 1" or less drop, but wouldn't want anything more than that, if I did go to an aftermarket suspension

thx
Old 08-19-2013, 12:34 PM
nycty

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I think the shocks are suppose to last longer then 65k miles (i hope o.o) and yes i agree the OE suspension is a bit too bouncy. I think think the only way to improve on that is to either get a nice quality coilover system with independent rebound and compression or get custom shocks. Ride quality/bounciness is mostly subjective but there are alot of variables that influence it such as type of dampening in the strut (hydraulic,gas, size of shock portion), spring rates, body mounts, fittings, vehicle weight and chassis. Most cars will feel floaty at 200kmph... and the G is no exception. I've rode in my uncles s63 many times and going 100mph in that feel like only about 60-70 (now i understand why he gets so many speeding tickets..you don't realize your actually going that fast!). But then again were comparing a 35-40k car to a 140k car and the s63 also weighs almost 5000Lbs compare to the G's 3800 Lb.

The only aftermarket replacement shocks for the AWD G's are the KYB's. You can always go with a custom build and have a reputable suspension company customize Shocks to fit the front of the AWD g's. Anything if possible is your willing the pay the price lols =p.
Old 08-19-2013, 01:52 PM
chris_s

Are the available KYB's a "cheaper oem replacement" or are they actually a "performanceish" shock?

Has anyone had custom shocks put together? I know I've had custom Koni yellows built before (I used to scca touring cars) at prices that were surprisingly cheap. I might reach out to my old contacts there.

I should also state that I'm not opposed to a stiffer ride, should I be able to find something "sportier" for the fronts
Old 08-20-2013, 01:42 AM
superjer2000

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you can get Koni to build shocks for the awd g you will be a hero. Lots of folks here would love them nut Koni has continuously said they have no plans of building them. Kind of dumb if you ask me as there would be a lot of demand.
Old 08-20-2013, 09:11 AM
chris_s

Originally Posted by superjer2000
If you can get Koni to build shocks for the awd g you will be a hero. Lots of folks here would love them nut Koni has continuously said they have no plans of building them. Kind of dumb if you ask me as there would be a lot of demand.
It's a pretty niche application, and I'd bet that most G37x drivers aren't looking for Koni caliber struts. I fully understand why they're not making yellows for our application.

And just to be clear, I would be getting them made custom by Koni's amateur racing division, likely over $500/corner plus core. it would not result in an off-the-shelf strut for $89.99 :P
Old 08-20-2013, 01:21 PM
nycty

Originally Posted by chris_s
It's a pretty niche application, and I'd bet that most G37x drivers aren't looking for Koni caliber struts. I fully understand why they're not making yellows for our application.

And just to be clear, I would be getting them made custom by Koni's amateur racing division, likely over $500/corner plus core. it would not result in an off-the-shelf strut for $89.99 :P
^I have thought about going that path as well and the price is pretty accurate but for the price of 2 front custom koni's, you can get a whole set of BC's for all 4 corners. Also there would be a longer downtime as you have to provide your OE shocks as a base to work with >.>. I say if you dont mind the wait and downtime go for it!! You will be the first one to have custom koni's on here!
Old 08-21-2013, 09:34 AM
chris_s

Originally Posted by nycty
you can get a whole set of BC's for all 4 corners.
How is the BC quality? is the fit universal (across G37/x) for coilovers rather than struts?
Old 08-21-2013, 12:37 PM
nycty

How is the BC quality? is the fit universal (across G37/x) for coilovers rather than struts?
I don't know how the quality is because i not on coils but there are many reviews on here from people that have them and yes it fits the AWD G's.
Old 08-21-2013, 12:59 PM
da mayor

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
the RWD and AWD are different coilover setups. BC's on an AWD ride great. Another thing you want to add is the GTSPEC rear lower tie brace that helps over bumps the rear feels more stable

Old 08-21-2013, 02:16 PM
nycty

Originally Posted by da mayor
the RWD and AWD are different coilover setups. BC's on an AWD ride great. Another thing you want to add is the GTSPEC rear lower tie brace that helps over bumps the rear feels more stable

Hey mayor, does the Gtspec rear lower tie brace fit on the AWD G sedans?
Old 08-27-2013, 07:36 PM
superjer2000

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
[our application.

[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure I fully agree - if you look at their catalog, they make their Sport shocks available on a number of platforms that I would say are more niche than the G37x. You have to remember that this model isn't just a big seller in Canada but also in a large part of the Northern US all you can find are AWD G37s.
Old 08-29-2013, 01:49 PM
xorbitman
Registered Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I don't want to hijack this thread...however I find the ride a bit to bouncy around corners. My Maxima with the wide tires and Eibach drop can corner better than this G37xS! I would prefer to go with springs as coilovers are a harsher/stiffer ride and I don't want Eibachs or Tein cause the drop is too dramatic...I don't want to drop more than 1 - 1.5" front and 1"back. Has anyone else found a set of springs for the G37xS coupe? (2012)...
Old 08-29-2013, 02:02 PM
chris_s

Originally Posted by xorbitman
I don't want to drop more than 1 - 1.5" front and 1"back. Has anyone else found a set of springs for the G37xS coupe? (2012)...
I have a set of swift springs en route, they give the drop you are looking for.

"Bouncy" is usually a function of shocks, not springs.
Old 08-29-2013, 02:24 PM
xorbitman
Registered Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I have a set of swift springs en route, they give the drop you are looking for.

"Bouncy" is usually a function of shocks, not springs.
Yes but I'm referring to "center of gravity" which was lower on my Maxima....

Chris, How is that possible? Where do you live and where are you getting these springs....or you car is a 4 door. I called Swift yesterday and they said that they do not mfg springs for the x coupe...
Old 08-29-2013, 02:26 PM
chris_s

Originally Posted by xorbitman
Chris, How is that possible? Where do you live and where are you getting these springs....or you car is a 4 door. I called Swift yesterday and they said that they do not mfg springs for the x coupe...
my bad, I assumed springs were the same for sedan and coupe. I have a sedan.

Quick Reply: bouncy suspension on g37xS