BEWARE: AMR Engineering Custom Coilover System AWD / G37X

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2014, 11:58 AM
TheLocNar
Registered Member

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts
Do we have to wait another 6 months for a review?
Old 05-23-2014, 04:44 AM
Emillion45

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Been really busy with getting finances situated for school and my personal life at the moment and haven't had time to write a lengthy in-depth review. All I can say at the moment is this kit + SPL arms is amazing. I haven't had any issues with creaking or loud noises. It helps if the person that installs the rear knows how to set pre-load on a spring basket (just saying).

The guy at the alignment shop butchered my SPL adjuster for my toe so I had to have a replacement swapped in. The genius also adjusted everything to factory spec so I am cambered out with zero toe. Rides perfectly fine I just dont want to be -1.7 degree of camber for the sake of tires.

Again I apologize for the latency. I would like to get pictures of my setup as soon as possible!
Old 05-23-2014, 10:20 AM
TheLocNar
Registered Member

Thanks for the update!
Old 10-29-2014, 05:58 PM
TheLocNar
Registered Member

5 months later and?
Old 10-29-2014, 07:30 PM
Emillion45

After trying everything I have a permanent knocking sound similar to BC Racing coils that has become so popular. At this point I am looking to get stiffer springs and possibly have them rebuilt because the valving can't be right with these. No matter what setting I have the shocks on they ALWAYS bottom out in the rear. I am looking into higher spec springs to combat this issue.
Old 10-29-2014, 07:32 PM
Emillion45

Oh and after supporting Andy and taking care of so much drama on his end. He cut off communications with me. Betrayal is a word you could use to describe the way I have been feeling about my decision to trust him and invest my money with AMR. But then I realize. All he cared about was the money.
Old 10-30-2014, 12:42 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Sorry to hear of the issues w/ your coilovers and the sorry business dealings w/ the company. Thanks for being upfront through all of this, at least someone was a stand-up dude in the transaction
The following users liked this post:
Emillion45 (10-30-2014)
Old 10-30-2014, 03:48 AM
Afireinside

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
geez... I have heard nothing but bad things about AMR. LOL.

Anyways as for your shocks emillion what rates are you running on your setup? I think the rates your running might be too soft.
Old 10-30-2014, 05:28 PM
Emillion45

650lb spring rate on the middle dampener setting on all corners.

I'm looking at bumping that to around 800lbs
Old 10-30-2014, 11:47 PM
Afireinside

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
hmmm. That is weird. Those are plenty high enough rates. Going up to 800lbs isnt going to do much unless your bottoming out the coils. Are you using Swift springs? anything else and its garbage (IMO)..... but at those rates it shouldnt be an issue in the rear

What do you have your shock preloads set at? Im thinking maybe you might have your preloads set wrong. If your bottoming out at that kind of spring rate all I can think of is that its a setup issue.

Just so that I might save a little bit of space on this conversation instead of a q and a session, Im just going to blabber.

First questions is do you know how its bottoming out?
-spring bind
-shocks bottoming out
-control arms binding up

When I install coilovers on the G, I install the springs, and then shorten up the shocks all the way so that when the car is jacked up and both rear tires are off the ground, the wheels decompresses about an inch and a half to two inches (this number will change depending on how short the travel on the rear shocks are). I dont know how much stroke you have on the rear shocks but Im thinking that you might have them too long. If they are in fact too long then majority of the stroke of the shocks compression stroke might be used up just from droop travel. Thread those shocks in more and see if that helps. The thing that throws me off a little bit is that the rear motion ratios are so big that a small amount of shock travel goes a pretty long way....

I dont know if this helps but if you can tell me what kind of bottoming out/binding it actually is, I will see if I can help as much as I can.
Old 10-31-2014, 03:04 AM
AZNnite

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Emillion45
After trying everything I have a permanent knocking sound similar to BC Racing coils that has become so popular. At this point I am looking to get stiffer springs and possibly have them rebuilt because the valving can't be right with these. No matter what setting I have the shocks on they ALWAYS bottom out in the rear. I am looking into higher spec springs to combat this issue.
Say it aint so! 😏. Your springs are fine....its the shocks that arent holding the weight. Like I said, it was so soft, I could easy compress them, watch a couple of movies and they still didnt rebound!

Tried to work it out with dip****, I mean Andy. He cut all comms with me since the get go of having this issue! Tries to blame the shop for faulty installation.
Old 10-31-2014, 10:54 AM
Ryne
The Steering Wheel Guy

Received 558 Likes on 390 Posts
Might want to change the title of this thread to something more appropriate. I would hate for someone to read the title of the thread and the first picture with the eye candy and accidentally order these. Sounds illogical, but I have seen worse happen.
blnewt (10-31-2014)
Old 10-31-2014, 02:20 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Originally Posted by Ryne
Might want to change the title of this thread to something more appropriate. I would hate for someone to read the title of the thread and the first picture with the eye candy and accidentally order these. Sounds illogical, but I have seen worse happen.
Fixed, thanks for the heads-up!
Ryne (10-31-2014)
Old 10-31-2014, 03:07 PM
Ryne
The Steering Wheel Guy

Received 558 Likes on 390 Posts
Originally Posted by blnewt
Fixed, thanks for the heads-up!
Thanks!

I was totally visualizing a thread popping up in the coupe, sedan, or build threads with something like "Just ordered my AMR Coilovers I saw over in the suspension thread, they look so good and high quality I Can't Wait!" lol
Old 10-31-2014, 03:45 PM
Lt8Che
'Cuz Racemod-erator

Received 316 Likes on 204 Posts
Wow, that sucks. Sorry to hear about the poor experience and customer service. Looks like the "X" guys are back to BC for coilovers again.

Quick Reply: BEWARE: AMR Engineering Custom Coilover System AWD / G37X