Anyone have any experience with rotors/pads from Brakeperformance.com?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 10:15 PM
redsoxfan5
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by blnewt
Look forward to your impressions and pics of course
Here's some pics of both sides of my drilled/slotted rotors for the non-sport RWD Sedan, wish I could install these Monday too
Man those look pretty nice! Out of curiosity, why did you decide to go with slotted as opposed to only cross-drilled? I think I've heard that slotted are supposed to be better with brake dust, but I wondered what went into your decision.

MACS, did you think about going with slotted or did the brake performance guys steer you away from them?
Old 02-22-2013, 12:22 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,940 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Originally Posted by redsoxfan5
Man those look pretty nice! Out of curiosity, why did you decide to go with slotted as opposed to only cross-drilled? I think I've heard that slotted are supposed to be better with brake dust, but I wondered what went into your decision.

MACS, did you think about going with slotted or did the brake performance guys steer you away from them?
To be honest I went w/ them for the overall look, saw some pics of these on one of the Corvette forums and really liked how they looked once the pads removed the zinc and left the bold black hats, slots, and chamfered holes.
The guys over there had good results w/ the Stoptech pads & these rotors so I was pretty certain they'd work well on our Gs. Didn't see any that were just drilled so I can't compare, I'm sure they'll look great on MACs G.

I've been pretty happy w/ my OEM brakes so if these perform as well and the zinc holds up over time I'll be completely satisfied w/ the purchase.

Especially since these rotors are so affordable
Old 02-22-2013, 10:30 AM
MACS

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by redsoxfan5
I actually considered the dimpled/slotted and even ordered them. When I called to ask some questions, the CS rep actually changed my mind and saved me some $ in the process. The whole deal, rotors and pads was right about $523. If you know how to change your own brakes, that's your total. If not, add labor to put them on which should only take an hour or so.
Old 02-22-2013, 10:59 AM
redsoxfan5
Registered Member

Originally Posted by MACS
I actually considered the dimpled/slotted and even ordered them. When I called to ask some questions, the CS rep actually changed my mind and saved me some $ in the process. The whole deal, rotors and pads was right about $523. If you know how to change your own brakes, that's your total. If not, add labor to put them on which should only take an hour or so.
I look forward to hearing what you think of the rotors and pads once you get them on your car. It'll probably be awhile before mine is due for pads and/or rotors, but I'm trying to get ahead of the game and do some research now.
Old 02-22-2013, 02:24 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

MACS, what Brake fluid are you going with? I'm wondering if just the generic DOT3 is adequate for a daily driver w/ aggressive driving now & then, or should I look into Motul or something? Oh, and BTW do you know how much fluid I'd need for a whole flush & fill (again for the baby non-S brakes, lol).
Are you also going to grease the pad, caliper contact area?
Sorry for all the noob brake questions but it's been about 20 years since I did a DIY brake job
Thanks!
Old 02-22-2013, 06:11 PM
MACS

blnewt, I have never done a brake job. I really want someone to teach me because I keep hearing how easy it is. I'm a hands on learner, so I am not cool watching a video and then doing my brakes. As we know, they are a pretty damn important part of the car!

I got the ATE super blue racing fluid. The whole system was flushed using less than 1 whole can. I'd say about 2/3 to 3/4 of it was used. To be completely honest, I didn't really notice a difference (not tracking or racing, though). I think if you're not tracking or racing, the regular DOT 3 will be fine.
Old 02-22-2013, 09:29 PM
KNS Brakes
Former Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
DOT 4 is heavy duty

Considering it's only a few $$ more than 'regular stuff' it's worth it.
Old 02-22-2013, 10:55 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Originally Posted by KNS Brakes
DOT 4 is heavy duty

Considering it's only a few $$ more than 'regular stuff' it's worth it.
Thanks, is there a particular brand you recommend?
Old 02-22-2013, 11:07 PM
KNS Brakes
Former Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Go to parts store - look down brake fluid aisle - grab DOT4 fluid...

no overthinking
Old 02-23-2013, 04:18 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Originally Posted by KNS Brakes
Go to parts store - look down brake fluid aisle - grab DOT4 fluid...

no overthinking
Lol, like I said, been like 20 years since I DIYed a brake job and just use DOT3 for topoffs. Thought maybe the DOT4 wasn't a typical Autozone item. Thanks for your help in the various threads throughout the site, much appreciated
Old 02-25-2013, 03:26 PM
MACS

Okay, I've got these on the car. Brake performance rotors and stop tech street performance pads.

I need to bed them in because right now they make a horrible moaning sound when I am almost at a stop. The tech said the stop tech pads have a very hard compound.

My first impression is that the car stops better. The pads have a much better bite, it seems, than the stock ceramic pads. I'll let you know if bedding helps that moan go away and provide some pictures.
Old 02-25-2013, 04:22 PM
steelblue

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
any pics yet?
I also ordered rotors from brakeperformance.com not a lot of info out there!
Old 02-25-2013, 05:32 PM
MACS

Originally Posted by steelblue
any pics yet?
I also ordered rotors from brakeperformance.com not a lot of info out there!
Okay, update time: I bedded the pads in, as described on stoptech's website. 60mph-10mph with hard braking. I did it 8 times, let 'em cool, and did it again. The moan is gone and she stops quite well. I won't say way better than before, but better.

Here's the pics of front and rear:

Name:  001Large_zps0dd7f164.jpg
Views: 2912
Size:  101.9 KB

Name:  002Large_zpsef391ee2.jpg
Views: 2955
Size:  98.8 KB
Old 02-25-2013, 06:02 PM
redsoxfan5
Registered Member

Originally Posted by MACS
Okay, update time: I bedded the pads in, as described on stoptech's website. 60mph-10mph with hard braking. I did it 8 times, let 'em cool, and did it again. The moan is gone and she stops quite well. I won't say way better than before, but better.

Here's the pics of front and rear:
Looks sweet! Hope they work out for you. I'll probably be looking to get new pads and rotors in 6-12 months, so I'd be interested to know if you continue to be happy with them.
Old 02-25-2013, 08:59 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Thanks for the update, they look pretty bad-as$ in there
Making it even harder to have to wait for my install
BTW, did your installer use that caliper grease between the caliper and pad? Just wondering if I'll need that?
And did you compare your OEM rotor weight to the new rotors, from all I've read they seem to be the same.

Quick Reply: Anyone have any experience with rotors/pads from Brakeperformance.com?