LOW-speed (under 10mph) Brake squeal

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 09:19 AM
zombipuppy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Speaking of high-pitch noises...

I dont' mean to hijack this thread, but since the topic of high-pitch squealing is in play, and I haven't found anything else through the search function, I'd like to ask a secondary question on this thread.

My G37x produces a not-too-faint high pitched sound whenever I exceed about 5mph. This is different from the brake squeal (which happens as well). Whenever I reduce speed to below 5mph, it goes away.

Any idea what it might be?
Old 11-08-2011, 12:45 PM
frty9rsfn

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by woojoo83
Folks, i'd like to solicit all of your expertise and experience. And before someone asks the obligatory question, my answer is "yes", i have utilized the search function and did not see anything along the same vein as my issue here (Itb09-009 FRONT BRAKE SQUEAL / SQUEAK NOISE - MyG37).

So, my 2009 G37S 6mt coupe has a braking squeal that sounds off ONLY UNDER 10mph (-ish). That is, if i start driving, do not exceed 10mph, and then proceed to brake to a stop, my brakes emit a pretty shrill, clear, squeal/screech, whatever you want to call it. It does this for forward and reverse, doesn't matter.

Strange thing is, is that if i drive and exceed 10mph(-ish), and then proceed to brake to a stop, there is no sound whatsoever. Quiet as a mouse (as it should be!).

I had my 30k service done about two months ago and the mechanic noted there was plenty of the pads left.

Any insight? Thanks in advance.
i know exactly what ur problem is... had the same exact issue... got it resolved, took sometime and multiple trips to the dealer, but got my brakes changed under warranty...
brake squeak under 10mph as i was breaking towards a red or stop sign type of deal...

this is what i did and eventually they bit in and changed them... try this...
(trip 1) went in the first time about the squeak, got the rotors resurfaced and cleaned out pads... plenty of pads left... good as new, noise free... (at a closer dealer near home)
(trip 2) went in a second time for same issue, got rotors resurfaced and cleaned pads again..plenty of pads... good as new.. (this time actual dealer since this problem was irritating me)
(trip 3) called in and complained, said that the brakes were the ones that were bad since the rotors have been resurfaced and pads cleaned multiple times, and I got the GM to get all 4 brakes changed since car is still under warranty. I said that brakes are
covered under warranty if they are defective since its not the rotors that are the problem. I said that the brakes are a safety issue and that sold it!! dont have that problem anymore.

i had that problem whether i was going forward or backwards... very annoying... gotta stand ur ground!!! i might have exaggerated a bit on th squeak... lol...
Old 03-11-2012, 03:53 PM
hutch987

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Low Speed Brake Squeal Finally Resolved

I too had this exact issue. It squealed only at low speed like backing out of the garage, etc. The car was still under warranty and I have pre-paid service at the dealer. It went in four times with a complaint about the brakes. The first two times they checked the pads, flushed them, blamed it on dust, etc. This usually resolved the issue for a month or so.

The third time they replaced the pads even though they were not worn (less than 10,000 miles). But guess what, it came back!

The fourth time they found a small pebble stuck in between the pad and the rotor on one wheel. They removed it and called me to come get the car. As he was backing out of bay to deliver to me it did it again! The service manager was fed up and kept the car for a week while working with the factory. They had isolated the squeal to the right rear so the replaced the rotors and finally, no noise.

Thanks Infiniti of Modesto for doing a great job and never once making me feel like I was complaining over nothing. They treated it as a serious problem and fixed it to my satisfaction.
Old 06-07-2014, 11:07 PM
xorbitman
Registered Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
There is a service bulletin / TSB covered under warranty.