+++Coilover Comparison Guide+++

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 10:35 AM
1cleanG
NextLevel Performance

Received 210 Likes on 155 Posts
Originally Posted by soundmike
Basically, the rears will look like the fronts. That is, the piston and spring is one body, thus "coil over" (coil springs over dampers).

couldn't have said it better myself..
Old 02-04-2011, 12:36 PM
jmlenz

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 4drScreamer
What does a "true rear coilover" mean? Meaning the spring is separate from the piston? Same as the KW?

This may be information to add to the original listing. It may be important for others to know about as they consider their options. Nice write up though and continue to add good information.
All of the listed coilovers in the OP are "OEM style" meaning the rear setup has the spring and strut seperate just like Nissan intended. D2, K-sport, and Stance GR+ (come in either true or OEM style) have a rear setup that places the spring over the strut just like the front setup. There is much debate on this "true coilover" setup on the G/Z platform; some say it puts stress on the rear shock tower that wasnt designed for it and some say "true" is better for all out performance and easier adjustment, etc.
Old 02-04-2011, 01:05 PM
jmlenz

added Stance GR+
Old 02-04-2011, 01:22 PM
123u

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Great write up Bro!
Old 02-05-2011, 01:40 AM
xyz
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Based on review from jran76 (https://www.myg37.com/forums/brakes-...coilovers.html)

Tein SSP
- spring rates: 9K/8K
- Independent compression and rebound adjustments
- 16 way adjustable for dampening
- have pillow ball upper mounts
- damper adjustment "clicks" = yes
- price: ~$1600 shipped (verify with vendors)

From the Review

"Driving Impression: In one word, GREAT. I don't know what took me so long. The car is much firmer and more solid feeling, especially over bumpy and choppy roads, but not as rough as my stock shock/Eibach spring combo. At the same time, the body roll is greatly reduced. I know it is hard to believe, but I attribute it to the stock shocks not being a good match for the Eibach springs. I also prefer the feel of the linear springs over the progressive Eibach springs. Handling is greatly improved, and I would not want stiffer springs unless this was approaching a full-time track car. Overall, I am blown away and really happy with the results. I would highly recommend these. There are dips that my front tires used to rub the upper fender liner and now it is stiff enough to not do so, but it takes the dip a lot smoother and with more composure overall."
Old 02-05-2011, 02:38 AM
Avalanche1521

Great write up!

Im going to go with Tanabe Sustec Pro. Cant beat the price!!!
Old 02-05-2011, 08:04 AM
soundmike

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
^ FWIW, unless things have changed significantly since, i got my BC BR's for about the same price as the Tanabe's.
Old 02-05-2011, 12:58 PM
tWistedMissiOn
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jmlenz
All of the listed coilovers in the OP are "OEM style" meaning the rear setup has the spring and strut seperate just like Nissan intended. D2, K-sport, and Stance GR+ (come in either true or OEM style) have a rear setup that places the spring over the strut just like the front setup. There is much debate on this "true coilover" setup on the G/Z platform; some say it puts stress on the rear shock tower that wasnt designed for it and some say "true" is better for all out performance and easier adjustment, etc.

So is there any conclusion to that? Whether a true coilover are a better set up or the OEM are the better set up?
Old 02-05-2011, 01:03 PM
Modme
Registered Member

Received 80 Likes on 56 Posts
I think its down to personal preference. In my opinion, a true coilover set up will be better for handling. A true coilover in the rear will allow you to lock down the OEM toe bolt and camber bolt adjustments and use aftermarket camber and toe arms. This allows for a more precise toe/camber adjustment and less deviance during hard cornering.

However, as jmlenz pointed out, the rear shock tower was not designed to support the entire weight of the back of the car. Most of the weight should be directed to the chasis, as done by the location of the OEM springs. Running the true coilover setup might not be good for the car in the long run.
Old 02-06-2011, 03:59 AM
BooSa37

Excellent write up!!
Old 02-06-2011, 09:09 AM
1cleanG
NextLevel Performance

Received 210 Likes on 155 Posts
Great writeup.....KW V3 FTW
Old 02-06-2011, 10:12 AM
tWistedMissiOn
Registered Member

Thanks Modme, so if i do get the true coilovers, what will be be some of the problems i will meet in the long run? Just worn out coilovers?
By the way you put it, it seems like if i am not tracking the car, i would be better off not having a true coilover for the car? Am i getting it right?
Old 02-06-2011, 12:50 PM
soundmike

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
^ not so much the coilover itself, but where it's attached. You have four points of attachment with the OEM setup, versus two for a "true" coilover setup. The shocks themselves are only attached by two small bolts up top.

If you don't track the car, you can still benefit from adjustability with some coilovers.
Old 02-07-2011, 01:36 PM
jmlenz

Originally Posted by Modme
I think its down to personal preference. In my opinion, a true coilover set up will be better for handling. A true coilover in the rear will allow you to lock down the OEM toe bolt and camber bolt adjustments and use aftermarket camber and toe arms. This allows for a more precise toe/camber adjustment and less deviance during hard cornering.

However, as jmlenz pointed out, the rear shock tower was not designed to support the entire weight of the back of the car. Most of the weight should be directed to the chasis, as done by the location of the OEM springs. Running the true coilover setup might not be good for the car in the long run.
I agree with ModMe, it comes down to preference. The creaking/noise factor others report with true coilovers is enough for me to avoid them, but thats just me. Not that it will probably ever due permanent damage to the chassis, but who knows long term? Modme is correct though, with true rears you can completely replace the spring bucket arm with SPLs toes arm AND adjustment is much easier as you dont have to readjust the shock height everytime you change the ride height like you do with OEM setup. I am personally more comfortable with running the suspension how the engineers intended it (OEM style), as I will never track this car so the possible performance benefits would never be realized with true rears for me.
Old 02-07-2011, 06:49 PM
_rj_

hey guys - im trying to sell my KW V3 coilovers, i purchased them a few months ago (and its too late to return them to the online shop they will only buy them back for 30% less than i paid...) they were never installed and i really need to sell them.

KW V3 VARIANT 3 Coilovers Infiniti G37 07+ G37s Shocks - eBay (item 250769064219 end time Feb-15-11 0837 PST)

Quick Reply: +++Coilover Comparison Guide+++