People who have rattling issues with the BC Coilovers PLEASE POST IN HERE!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 11:06 PM
sumo8me

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
alright awesome, i didnt really understand what you said, but a write up would be nice, haha.
Old 08-09-2008, 12:47 PM
sumo8me

Any update?
Old 08-09-2008, 01:29 PM
MaxToTheG37
Super Moderator w/ Boost

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I do know the problem was NOT fixed... So ... its still on goin... grrrr....
Old 08-09-2008, 10:08 PM
jtree007

Update

Sorry this is a day late but here is my Update...

First I would like to say thanks to Pete for stopping by to help identify the noise and find a fix.

I have some good news and bad news.

When Pete came by the noise would not sound as obvious as it normally was. Regardless, he took a look at the rear suspension and did notice that the preload may have been less than ideal, right rear spring could wiggle. Now I am sure that I set enough preload when I installed the coilovers so the springs must have settled enough to counter act the initial preload of 1/4", the most recommended by BC. After Pete finished, he believed that the noise originated from a lack of preload.

I drove the car and put about 120 miles on the car and from mile one I had a new rattle and the original noise was still there.

Friday I got a chance to work on the car again and inspected everything on the car. The new rattle was from a loose collar and nothing more, so not a big deal. I decided to redo the preload and rather than just 1/4" I went to 1/2" on each side. The noise as far as I can tell is gone. Now I have only drove about 60 miles on the car since, but I have done by best to throw the car around to help get the car to settle. That may be what needs to be done. I know there is a lot of sentiment that it is not the preload, but It just may be.

If you can redo your preload then I would recommend it. Also make sure that the collars are as tight as you can get them. If you redo your preload and a noise remains then I would check to make sure that all the bolts are tight, including the extenders on the shocks.

If your noise continues even after the adjustment and all bolts are tight, It might be your pillow ball mount at the top of the shock. If that is the case then it is probably time for BC to replace them.

I am not 100% happy with everything, but I do feel that my car may be correctly setup now. I do not think there are safety issues associated with the rattle. I have been happy with the performance of the coilovers and they are an absolute bargain.. but the overall lack of support to the community has been worrying. I know that they may be busy and we normally do not get a representative from the company on the forum directly interacting with the community, but companies like Tein and Cusco... have established their name and can act accordingly. I think a quicker and more aggressive response from BC could have minimized any worries and could have easily prevented this and similar threads, not to mention any animosity from forum users towards the company.

If there are any questions just let me know...
Old 08-10-2008, 10:06 AM
1BADV6

Thanks for the update jtree.

I'm the one that adjusted and "removed" the rattle. It is back again, only since I left my trunk carpet out (so I can eventually put the extenders in) it sounds different but the same symptom.
Old 08-11-2008, 11:08 AM
Black Guy

Originally Posted by jtree007
but the overall lack of support to the community has been worrying. I know that they may be busy and we normally do not get a representative from the company on the forum directly interacting with the community, but companies like Tein and Cusco... have established their name and can act accordingly. I think a quicker and more aggressive response from BC could have minimized any worries and could have easily prevented this and similar threads, not to mention any animosity from forum users towards the company.

If there are any questions just let me know...
Im really glad you're happy with the ride quality and handling of your BC racing coilovers. But honestly, do you think Tein or Cusco would come to you? We tried to get someone to goto BC so that Pete could check the rattle out, its difficult to run a business, have a family, and unfortunately have to deal with a rattle. Pete hates the rattle as much as you do. As far as a quicker and more aggressive response, Pete tried diagnosing the problem via the internet, giving suggestions on what to do and everything, because no one could make their way here, but its not as easy to tell as it is to do. He finally found time, and made his way to you. But preload seems to be the problem solver so far, lets hope it stays that way. If you have the rattle, more preload for now, if that doesnt work, I think Jtree had a few helpful tips in his last post.
Old 08-11-2008, 01:19 PM
symalik
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Black Guy is right, rattle or not, which company every flies out to fix the issue.

Don't get me wrong, I want this thing gone cuz it annoys me every day too, but they are trying.

I tried almost 1 inch pre load, and my rattle is still there.... so not sure if that is the solution to this. I have re tightened everything like 3 times since install and adjusted the preload.
Old 08-11-2008, 01:24 PM
MaxToTheG37
Super Moderator w/ Boost

What about taking Tein Htechs or Eibach rears and putting them in to replace the rattleing BC springs.... Will this work?
Old 08-11-2008, 01:40 PM
Black Guy

Originally Posted by MaxToTheG37
What about taking Tein Htechs or Eibach rears and putting them in to replace the rattleing BC springs.... Will this work?
Thats not logical at all. The springs shouldnt be rattling with correct preload and 4 thousand pounds on top of them. But if you have the springs, measure them, and if you're feeling adventurous, throw them on. But I wouldnt recommend such a thing.
Old 08-11-2008, 01:53 PM
Pete@BC

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Changing the spring out is not recommended. This wouldn't be recommended by any manufacturer to use another spring unless it was designed strictly for coilover use as swift. We currently are testing our 2way adjustables with swift, but they are the corrrect sizing. The spring itself would not make noise. Changing it out alone will not make any difference. I would like to get a few of the candidates with the noise issue that can do the installs themselves together and possibly try the older design. We never had any issues with those, but still doesn't explain why on the newer design such a small percentage is getting noise. On Jtree's vehicle it was so minimal, I heard it 1-2 times within a 20min drive. Our jack was 3 wheeling and it didn't make for good conditions specially in the dark. If theres anyone with the noise around summit point area, I'll be there this weekend. We will have all our tools with us, so it would make for a perfect opportunity to go over everything.
Old 08-11-2008, 02:02 PM
MaxToTheG37
Super Moderator w/ Boost

Thanks... Im just tryin to figure out a way to cleanse my ears from rattles...
Old 08-11-2008, 02:17 PM
finagle69

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Pete@BC
Changing the spring out is not recommended. This wouldn't be recommended by any manufacturer to use another spring unless it was designed strictly for coilover use as swift. We currently are testing our 2way adjustables with swift, but they are the corrrect sizing. The spring itself would not make noise. Changing it out alone will not make any difference. I would like to get a few of the candidates with the noise issue that can do the installs themselves together and possibly try the older design. We never had any issues with those, but still doesn't explain why on the newer design such a small percentage is getting noise. On Jtree's vehicle it was so minimal, I heard it 1-2 times within a 20min drive. Our jack was 3 wheeling and it didn't make for good conditions specially in the dark. If theres anyone with the noise around summit point area, I'll be there this weekend. We will have all our tools with us, so it would make for a perfect opportunity to go over everything.
I'd be willing to try out your older design. PM if you would like my info.
Old 08-11-2008, 02:24 PM
1BADV6

It really depends on where you drive to hear the noise. I hear it pulling my car into my garage over a bump no taller than an inch moving 5MPH or less. It doesn't take aggressive driving or hard bumps for me to hear it.

Could it have anything to do with the stiffness setting? Who has their's set very aggressive to those with it soft--is there a difference or not? Mine unfortunatly are near the middle.
Old 08-11-2008, 04:48 PM
Black Guy

Originally Posted by 1BADV6
Could it have anything to do with the stiffness setting? Who has their's set very aggressive to those with it soft--is there a difference or not? Mine unfortunatly are near the middle.
Dont be scared to adjust your dampening and test out the rattle on different settings.
Old 08-11-2008, 05:16 PM
symalik
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Pete@BC
Pete, I also have a shop and am willing to try the older design. Let me know, I can do the install rather easily.

Quick Reply: People who have rattling issues with the BC Coilovers PLEASE POST IN HERE!!!!