Notices
Body Interior Exterior Lighting

Morimoto LED fog lens protection?

Old 12-04-2016, 02:28 PM
Ape Factory
Registered Member

Received 322 Likes on 231 Posts
Morimoto LED fog lens protection?

Got a set of Morimotos in for my IPL and the lenses are polycarbonate. I knew this before ordering. I honestly don't think they'll look good for long with all the sand/dust/debris around here and my daily highway jaunts into work.

Anyone use protective film on the Morimotos with good success? I ordered a pre-cut set already for like $14 but wondering if they'll do much good.
Old 12-04-2016, 03:37 PM
G37xhibeet

Received 93 Likes on 77 Posts
Hmmmm did you get the lamin-x clear ones? I hadn't though of that, but given the state of my factory fogs that sounds like a good idea
Old 12-04-2016, 04:36 PM
Ape Factory
Registered Member

I did. And the condition of the stock fogs is what prompted me.
Old 12-07-2016, 08:20 AM
Goonz
Premier Member

Received 60 Likes on 54 Posts
Originally Posted by Ape Factory
Got a set of Morimotos in for my IPL and the lenses are polycarbonate. I knew this before ordering. I honestly don't think they'll look good for long with all the sand/dust/debris around here and my daily highway jaunts into work.

Anyone use protective film on the Morimotos with good success? I ordered a pre-cut set already for like $14 but wondering if they'll do much good.
yes I have the same fogs but I used Lamin-x clear film on them. Now the clear shield is all pitted and Im having a tough time getting it off to replace. Oh well, I'm not all that happy with their output other than its aesthetic look.
Old 12-07-2016, 08:23 AM
Ape Factory
Registered Member

You weren't happy with the light output of the Morimotos? I'd try a heat gun sparingly on the low setting (or even a blow dryer on high). Might help remove the old Lamin-x. But that's definitely a concern as I thought they'd be easy to replace.
Old 12-07-2016, 08:26 AM
Ape Factory
Registered Member

Found this on their website. I'm betting it's a bit cold in Boston right now

"Lamin-x Protective Film can easily be removed without damaging the light. Upon initial application, the film can be peeled up and reapplied numerous times if not installed correctly. The film and its adhesive are designed for this! Once the film has settled (24-48 hours), the product is no longer considered reusable. To remove a long-term installation, warm the film and peel it off slowly. If there is any adhesive left on the lens, simply roll it into a ball using your finger or thumb. Use an adhesive remover, or a similar product that is safe for automotive finishes, to remove any left-over residue."
Old 12-24-2016, 02:05 PM
G37xhibeet

Received 93 Likes on 77 Posts
I ended up buying the clear film from lamin-x. It's actually somewhat smaller than the fog light which is annoying but it covers most of it guess. I tried to take a pic but I had already put it on and it's clear soooooo
Old 12-24-2016, 02:31 PM
Ape Factory
Registered Member

Same experience. Went on easy enough and it's now perfectly clear. Will check it in a few months to see how it holds up.

Search this Thread