Notices
Body Interior Exterior Lighting

Headlight/Fog light bulb replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2016, 02:15 PM
Melophile

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Headlight/Fog light bulb replacement

Is lifting the car and taking off the wheels+fender liner the only way to reach the headlight/fog light assemblies to change out the bulbs? I ordered 6000K D2S-HID/H8-LED bulbs from Diode Dynamics to replace my stock headlight and fog light bulbs. They should be arriving tomorrow and I would like to get these installed before I have to head out to work. The thing is, I usually have around 30-45 minutes between USPS deliveries in my area and the time I have to leave for work, and working with the headlights + fog lights on the G37 doesn't look like a 10 minute job.

Last edited by Melophile; 10-24-2016 at 02:28 PM.
Old 10-24-2016, 03:17 PM
TBau651

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Melophile
Is lifting the car and taking off the wheels+fender liner the only way to reach the headlight/fog light assemblies to change out the bulbs? I ordered 6000K D2S-HID/H8-LED bulbs from Diode Dynamics to replace my stock headlight and fog light bulbs. They should be arriving tomorrow and I would like to get these installed before I have to head out to work. The thing is, I usually have around 30-45 minutes between USPS deliveries in my area and the time I have to leave for work, and working with the headlights + fog lights on the G37 doesn't look like a 10 minute job.
For the HIDs, you don't NEED to remove the wheels, I was able to change mine out by simply turning the wheels inward (Driver side - locked the right // Passenger side - locked to left). Taking the wheels off would give you more space to work, but the fender liners are flexible enough to fold back out of the way and allow you access to the HID bulb.

For the Fogs, are you referring to the lights inside the headlight housing that people call fogs? or the round lights in the lower bumper that people also call fogs... ^^ this "fogs" naming dilemma always bothered me...
The following users liked this post:
Melophile (10-24-2016)
Old 10-24-2016, 03:52 PM
Melophile

Originally Posted by TBau651
For the HIDs, you don't NEED to remove the wheels, I was able to change mine out by simply turning the wheels inward (Driver side - locked the right // Passenger side - locked to left). Taking the wheels off would give you more space to work, but the fender liners are flexible enough to fold back out of the way and allow you access to the HID bulb.

For the Fogs, are you referring to the lights inside the headlight housing that people call fogs? or the round lights in the lower bumper that people also call fogs... ^^ this "fogs" naming dilemma always bothered me...
By fog lights, I mean the ones in the lower part of the bumper.
Old 10-24-2016, 04:11 PM
TBau651

By fog lights, I mean the ones in the lower part of the bumper.
That being said, I'm fairly certain you wont be able to reach them via the fender liners especially on the passenger side due to the placement of the washer fluid tank. If you are simply changing the bulbs then you could PROBABLY get away with just dropping the plastic skid plate and going from underneath, but I cant confirm 100% that there aren't any obstructions.

I dropped the bumper both times I was in there messing with my fogs, granted I was changing the whole housing + some additional wiring so i needed extra space to work...

Either way, This will give you a few shots of what you'll be looking at when it comes to the fogs:
https://www.myg37.com/forums/d-i-y-i...-modified.html
Melophile (10-24-2016)
Old 10-24-2016, 05:11 PM
Melophile

Originally Posted by TBau651
That being said, I'm fairly certain you wont be able to reach them via the fender liners especially on the passenger side due to the placement of the washer fluid tank. If you are simply changing the bulbs then you could PROBABLY get away with just dropping the plastic skid plate and going from underneath, but I cant confirm 100% that there aren't any obstructions.

I dropped the bumper both times I was in there messing with my fogs, granted I was changing the whole housing + some additional wiring so i needed extra space to work...

Either way, This will give you a few shots of what you'll be looking at when it comes to the fogs:
https://www.myg37.com/forums/d-i-y-i...-modified.html
Alright, so for the headlights, I could just turn the wheel all the way in the proper direction and bend the fender liner down, and for the fog lights in the lower part of the bumper, I may just get away with lifting the car and going under the bumper; worst case scenario I have to remove the bumper.

You're quite a helpful member here thanks for the help!
Old 10-24-2016, 05:38 PM
TBau651

You got it sir, good luck on the bulb swap!
Old 10-24-2016, 10:25 PM
Epiphany
Registered Member

Received 231 Likes on 207 Posts
Have done both of those more than once in the last 6 months. Headlights can definitely be done turning the wheels to full lock and going through fender liner. Drivers side fog can be done with the wheels turned all the way right and through the fender liner. Drivers side fog can be done by unbolting the front corner of the splash shield and bending it down. You have very little room to work and it sucks but it is fully doable.

Trending Topics

Old 10-27-2016, 03:48 PM
Melophile

Just got my new bulbs installed. At first, I wanted to take things apart as little as possible because I feel like for something like a bulb change, it should not take so much effort. But once I got a better look at what I was working with, I decided to just make everything easier on myself by just lifting the car and removing the wheels. Infiniti sure made it require some elbow grease to get bulbs replaced.

If anyone else is replacing headlight/fog light bullbs, I say just lift the car and remove the wheels. You won't have to think about how you're going to maneuver your hands and yours arms through tiny cracks and crevices and whatnot. You won't have to worry about your skin getting scraped up and pinched by the plastic. Ultimately, it's just less of a hassle to lift the car and remove the wheel.

Both bulbs for the driver-side headlight and fog lights can be accessed by the fender liner. Absolutely no need to go under the car for anything.

The passenger-side headlight bulb can be accessed by the fender liner the same way as the driver-side headlight bulb. The passenger-side fog light bulb has to accessed from under the car. You can entirely remove the front fender liner (3-5 plastic clips, and about 5-6 10mm bolts) and it's a straight shot to the fog light bulb from under the car without any obstructions.

Here's a picture of me accessing the passenger-side fog light bulb from under the car.

Headlight/Fog light bulb replacement-eopqua5.jpg
MStrike (07-23-2021)
Old 10-27-2016, 10:20 PM
saywat?
Registered Member

Received 276 Likes on 238 Posts
jacking up the front and removing the fender liner and turning the wheel will give u maximus roominus
Old 10-31-2016, 02:35 AM
Melophile

I don't know if I should post another thread for this, but to reduce on the amount of threads, I figured I just post it here.

For some odd reason, my driver-side headlight bulb takes a few tries to fully turn on. I'll hop in my car, twist the switch to turn on my headlights, and the driver-side headlight will turn on, but only for like half a second, and then then it will turn back off while the rest of the lights on the car stay on. I have to turn my headlights back off, then back on a couple times to get the driver-side headlight to stay on.

Could this be a problem with the bulb, or a problem with the wiring? Maybe while I was installing the bulbs, I could've nudged something out of position? Anyone have any ideas?

Here's a video of what I'm trying to describe:
Old 10-31-2016, 10:25 AM
TBau651

Strangely enough I have had this issue too with the driver's side light, although not nearly to this extent^^^... My drivers side has randomly failed to come on Maybe once every few months and only when the lights are in auto mode... Luckily for me, I turn my lights on and off manually most of the time so it hasn't really become an issue. I swear I've read post of other members experiencing the same problem in the past, Can't recall if anyone every determined a cause and solution... Staying subbed to see if anyone else can shed some light on the situation (no pun intended)...
MStrike (07-23-2021)
Old 10-31-2016, 11:29 PM
Epiphany
Registered Member

It's either a bulb or ballast likely. If you want to check, switch the bulbs from passenger to driver side. If it still happens on the drivers side you know the bulb is fine, if it's on the passenger side then it's the bulb. What kind of bulbs did you get? The 2012+ G is very sensitive to what bulbs will work and most aftermarket ones don't work properly.
Old 10-31-2016, 11:38 PM
Melophile

Originally Posted by Epiphany
It's either a bulb or ballast likely. If you want to check, switch the bulbs from passenger to driver side. If it still happens on the drivers side you know the bulb is fine, if it's on the passenger side then it's the bulb. What kind of bulbs did you get? The 2012+ G is very sensitive to what bulbs will work and most aftermarket ones don't work properly.
I got this specific bulb in the 6000K variant.
Old 11-01-2016, 01:11 AM
Epiphany
Registered Member

I got this specific bulb in the 6000K variant.
Did you keep your stock bulbs? You'll likely be going back to those...
Old 11-01-2016, 01:41 AM
Melophile

Originally Posted by Epiphany
Did you keep your stock bulbs? You'll likely be going back to those...
I mean I don't mind flicking my headlights off and on 2-3 times. I was just posting to see if anyone else had this problem and if they had a fix. If there's no fix, I can live with it; it's not like the bulbs are completely dead. They work, just got to give it a little nudge.