Notices
Body Interior Exterior Lighting

2010 G37 Sedan Headlight Help Requested!

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2015, 01:48 AM
maybeg37
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello everyone, my apologies in advance.

I have tried searching (not a new forum user, just new here, active on MBWorld) but couldn't find a straight up answer. I know these threads seem repetitive but sometimes its the easiest way to get an answer....

Anywho, I have attached a picture of my 2010 G37 sedan Headlight. I have included 4 different color arrows:

Red:
Blue
Green:
Yellow:

The problem is I bought LED bulbs for the entire interior and exterior so that they can match. Personally I find the Green arrow light to look really out of place and the fogs (yellow?) need to match.

So based on my understanding this is what I think things are:

Red: HID
Blue: ???? City maybe? Parking? no idea.
Green: Turn Signal?
Yellow: Fogs

So after changing out all the interior LEDs, trunk light, and license plate lights I am left with the following bubls:
Pair of 194 wedges which are meant for the City light (whichever that one is) and two big bulbs that are meant for the fogs which I am assuming is for the yellow.

So this means the Red arrow looks good, the Yellow arrow once changed will look good, and lastly either the blue or green arrow will look good. Problem is that means I am still missing a bulb to make them all white. Which one am I missing?

Thanks in advance for all the help!! Hoping to find this forum as helpful as the C63 forum! (pic of my baby just for S&G, this was when I first got it, completely stock, looks alot better now but still want so many mods, just need $$$$)

Old 08-11-2015, 05:46 AM
slowbird
Registered Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by maybeg37
So after changing out all the interior LEDs, trunk light, and license plate lights I am left with the following bubls:
Pair of 194 wedges which are meant for the City light (whichever that one is) and two big bulbs that are meant for the fogs which I am assuming is for the yellow.
I don't know what the 2 "big bulbs" you have left look like but the fog light bulbs look like this:

If the leftover bulbs have a flat connector like this:

Those are for the front signals (green arrow)
Old 08-11-2015, 03:04 PM
maybeg37
Registered Member

Ok so the Big Bulbs I have are def. for the Fogs.

So is the blue arrow what you guys call Parking/City lights? Based on what I read, those two terms are used interchangeably.

And then finally what I need is the Green Arrow, front turn signals. Does anyone make those in white to match the HID?
Old 08-11-2015, 05:18 PM
slowbird
Registered Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
So is the blue arrow what you guys call Parking/City lights? Based on what I read, those two terms are used interchangeably.
Yeah. I've always referred to them as side markers, marker lights, or parking lights.

And then finally what I need is the Green Arrow, front turn signals. Does anyone make those in white to match the HID?
Yeah you can. The thing is that the front turn signals stay lit and then (obviously) flash when you turn on the signal/hazards.
In some places, the police frown down on flashing white lights. It's against the law in some places.
So, to solve this you can get "switchback" LED's.

Switchbacks light up white when in regular on/driving mode. Then when you turn the signals on the white goes away and they blink Amber-OFF-Amber-OFF etc etc. Then when you cancel the signals they return to the white light.

This is the best example I could find of them:

Becareful of the crappy kind that blink Amber-White-Amber-White cause this just defeats the purpose of the switchbacks entirely.
Example of what to stay away from: skip to 50 seconds into the vid

I have yet to install LED signals in my G but most (if not all cars) require a load resistor to prevent them from "hyper flashing".
Old 08-11-2015, 09:48 PM
Intake

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Heres a picture of my headlight:

Name:  IMG_0485_zpsb28bb1vk.jpg
Views: 15224
Size:  174.3 KB

Basically I replaced the stock turn signal bulbs with 7440 chrome bulbs. What this did was made it so the signal lights don't turn on when the headlights are on because the 7440 bulbs are the single stage counterpart to the stock 7443 turn signal bulbs. I also don't get hyper flashing because its not an LED and i don't have the egg yolk from the stock turn signal bulb.

I then replaced the parking light with 6000K bulbs and bought the Morimoto XB35 6500K bulbs replace the HIDs. Im very happy with the results, no yellow in my headlights and color matches perfectly.

Right now looking to find fogs that'll match my headlights .

Your C63 by the way,
The following users liked this post:
Epiphany (08-11-2015)
Old 08-11-2015, 11:20 PM
Epiphany
Registered Member

Received 232 Likes on 208 Posts
Originally Posted by Intake

Basically I replaced the stock turn signal bulbs with 7440 chrome bulbs. What this did was made it so the signal lights don't turn on when the headlights are on because the 7440 bulbs are the single stage counterpart to the stock 7443 turn signal bulbs. I also don't get hyper flashing because its not an LED and i don't have the egg yolk from the stock turn signal bulb.

I then replaced the parking light with 6000K bulbs and bought the Morimoto XB35 6500K bulbs replace the HIDs. Im very happy with the results, no yellow in my headlights and color matches perfectly.

Your C63 by the way,
Thanks for showing me what I'll be doing once one of my signal bulbs burns out.
Old 08-12-2015, 01:35 AM
maybeg37
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Intake

Your C63 by the way,
That looks great! Are these the bulbs?

Amazon.com: 7440 992 Chrome Amber Bulb - Pack of 2: Automotive Amazon.com: 7440 992 Chrome Amber Bulb - Pack of 2: Automotive

If so, Im definitely willing to try it since it seems the ones that are white and on all the time and then turn amber on signal are either like $60 for the pair of $160 which is insane.

And thanks, love my C63. G37 is the wife's car but still gotta mod it a bit.

OR

Would these be the ones that work as well?

Amazon.com: SiriusLED Dual Color White Amber Switchback LED DRL Turn Signal Light Bulb 45w Equivalent 600 Lumen Multiple Size 1157 3157 7443 Pack of 2 (7443): Automotive Amazon.com: SiriusLED Dual Color White Amber Switchback LED DRL Turn Signal Light Bulb 45w Equivalent 600 Lumen Multiple Size 1157 3157 7443 Pack of 2 (7443): Automotive

Those seem to be white all the time but turn amber when turning. I also see I need the load resistor so it doesn't blink like crazy.

Last edited by maybeg37; 08-12-2015 at 01:46 AM.
Old 08-12-2015, 09:25 AM
MaQG37
Registered Member

Received 208 Likes on 166 Posts
The Sirius LED will work, and you've already noted you need resistors.
Old 08-12-2015, 10:48 AM
Intake

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

That looks great! Are these the bulbs?

Amazon.com: 7440 992 Chrome Amber Bulb - Pack of 2: Automotive Amazon.com: 7440 992 Chrome Amber Bulb - Pack of 2: Automotive

If so, Im definitely willing to try it since it seems the ones that are white and on all the time and then turn amber on signal are either like $60 for the pair of $160 which is insane.

And thanks, love my C63. G37 is the wife's car but still gotta mod it a bit.

OR

Would these be the ones that work as well?

Amazon.com: SiriusLED Dual Color White Amber Switchback LED DRL Turn Signal Light Bulb 45w Equivalent 600 Lumen Multiple Size 1157 3157 7443 Pack of 2 (7443): Automotive Amazon.com: SiriusLED Dual Color White Amber Switchback LED DRL Turn Signal Light Bulb 45w Equivalent 600 Lumen Multiple Size 1157 3157 7443 Pack of 2 (7443): Automotive

Those seem to be white all the time but turn amber when turning. I also see I need the load resistor so it doesn't blink like crazy.
Yeah those are it. I ordered mine off eBay but it's the same bulbs.

I went this route because it is the cheaper alternative and they work great and achieved the look I was going for without the need for resistors and spending the extra cash.

Sirius bulbs would work too but like you said you'd need to add the resistors to prevent hyper flashing. They're a good company, I have their LED bulbs for my interior and parking lights and they work flawlessly with the color I want.
Old 09-08-2015, 02:33 PM
maybeg37
Registered Member

Hey guys.

So thanks alot for all the help! Bulbs have been switched, resitors added and it looks much better. Only thing left is the fogs. Now I have the fog LED but before changing them I noticed that the driver side fog like is broken.

Here is a pic:

Any recommendations on how to get this changed out? I would love to just get something black so that I wouldn't have to wrap/plastidip the chrome. Willing to switch both the driver and the passenger sides.