Notices
Body Interior Exterior Lighting

Help HID bulbs keeps turning off

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2015, 02:32 AM
TastefullyDoneG

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
HID bulbs keeps turning off

Does anyone know what might be the problem with the HID bulb if it turns off sometimes, just one side? I thought it might be the bulbs so I had them replaced but same problem. When it goes off I turn the switch off and on and it works again but after a while it goes back off. Would it be the ballast or igniter? I had the battery replaced from AAA since they said it was getting weak. The dealer said it could be the battery isn't strong enough that could be causing this problem.
Old 07-25-2015, 06:31 PM
telcoman
Registered Member

Received 161 Likes on 139 Posts
Check out the FSM

http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/G37/Sedan/2011/EXL.pdf

Telcoman
Old 07-28-2015, 08:34 PM
35Sport

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts
The bulb is going out. Pick up a nice upgraded set as you wont want to replace just the one. The color output on the new bulb won't match the faded color on the older bulb.

Get some replacements here. Choose your color based on the scale below.

D2S Morimoto XB XB35 XB55 OEM HID D2S Xenon headlight bulbs lamps headlamp replacement Philips Osram CBI 85122

Old 07-29-2015, 04:41 AM
TastefullyDoneG

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
thanks for the reply, i'll look into them.
Old 07-31-2015, 02:46 AM
JakeG37

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I just installed brand new headlights modded by 180customs and installed Diode Dynamics DS2 bulbs before I tested the new lights. The driver side HID doesnt turn on initially and I have to cycle the lights and high beams to get them to come on. Well, the light will turn on initially for a brief moment then go out. Each time I turn them all the way off, then full on, the light will come on for a split second then go out. After a few cycles of this they come on and then seem to work fine. Not sure if 180customs didnt do something right in that light, or if the new bulb is bad...
Old 07-31-2015, 03:05 AM
Epiphany
Registered Member

Received 232 Likes on 208 Posts
Originally Posted by JakeG37
I just installed brand new headlights modded by 180customs and installed Diode Dynamics DS2 bulbs before I tested the new lights. The driver side HID doesnt turn on initially and I have to cycle the lights and high beams to get them to come on. Well, the light will turn on initially for a brief moment then go out. Each time I turn them all the way off, then full on, the light will come on for a split second then go out. After a few cycles of this they come on and then seem to work fine. Not sure if 180customs didnt do something right in that light, or if the new bulb is bad...
Assuming they painted/customized the housing it should have nothing to do with it, as the housing just holds the bulb. Either a bulb issue or the ballast. If you switch the bulbs around does the issue follow the bulb or stay on the same side?
Old 07-31-2015, 10:20 AM
JakeG37

I know thats the next step to troubleshoot. I just got everything put back together and I will have to try that later. They added angel eyes and iron man lights so maybe there is a possibility something didnt go right there. Im leaning more towards the bulb right now since I will assume they tested my lights prior to shipping them to me. Thanks for the input, ill let you know what I find out. It wont be today though.
Old 07-31-2015, 02:06 PM
Diode Dynamics
Former Sponsor

Received 141 Likes on 117 Posts
If your G37 was built after 2011, our bulbs will not function correctly with the factory ballasts, hence why we don't have them listed for those model years.

If your car was built pre-2011 and you are having issues, then it isn't the bulbs.

Either way, keep us posted so we can take care of you and 180Customs

Thanks,
Nick C.
Old 08-02-2015, 01:45 PM
JakeG37

Originally Posted by Diode Dynamics
If your G37 was built after 2011, our bulbs will not function correctly with the factory ballasts, hence why we don't have them listed for those model years.

If your car was built pre-2011 and you are having issues, then it isn't the bulbs.

Thanks,
Nick C.
My car is a 2008 G37s Coupe. I had both headlights replaced by insurance due to sand damage and they are both OEM replacements. I would assume since its 2015 and they were brand new, would this mean that they could have been made with the same components as 2011+ model cars? One side works perfectly with the bulbs, and the other is just "touchy" with initial turn on. Other than that, it seems to look identical in brightness and color.
Old 08-02-2015, 01:47 PM
JakeG37

Oh, I forgot to ask. If you guys dont have bulbs that work with 2012+, is there another company that makes a HID 6k bulb that does work?
Old 08-03-2015, 10:47 AM
Diode Dynamics
Former Sponsor

Oh, I forgot to ask. If you guys dont have bulbs that work with 2012+, is there another company that makes a HID 6k bulb that does work?
Osram's HID bulbs will work with your G37, but they are quite pricey

Nick C.
Old 10-07-2015, 09:00 PM
huuvinh88

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TastefullyDoneG
Does anyone know what might be the problem with the HID bulb if it turns off sometimes, just one side? I thought it might be the bulbs so I had them replaced but same problem. When it goes off I turn the switch off and on and it works again but after a while it goes back off. Would it be the ballast or igniter? I had the battery replaced from AAA since they said it was getting weak. The dealer said it could be the battery isn't strong enough that could be causing this problem.
I just installed Diode Dynamics HID bulbs 2 days ago and I had the same problem . How to fix it ?
Old 10-08-2015, 01:45 PM
Diode Dynamics
Former Sponsor

If your G37 is a 2011+, our HID bulbs will not be compatible

We don't have those model years listed for this reason

Nick C.
Old 10-08-2015, 10:46 PM
teonguyen

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
There is nothing wrong DD bulbs, if your car is 2011 and late model, the ballast is very picky and only compatible with OEM bulbs. If you use DD bulbs, they will most likely flickering and not work properly. The only bulbs that work are D2S Osram.

D2S Osram Xenarc 66240 CBI HID Bulbs - Xenon Headlight Bulbs - The Retrofit Source
Old 10-09-2015, 01:00 PM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

Received 394 Likes on 343 Posts
Originally Posted by Diode Dynamics

Thanks,
Nick C.
Hey Nick,

You sure about this, I had to go back to the stock HID's on my 09 sedan, I have 3 sets of DD HID's and none of them would the passenger side light come on? Stock HID every time it work, DD HID I would have to flip the high beams or turn the switch on and off a few times before it would come on. But would never auto turn on :/

Quick Reply: Help HID bulbs keeps turning off