Notices
Body Interior Exterior Lighting

HID/LED headlights and fog lights

Old 01-26-2015, 02:47 AM
stewartsw1

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
HID/LED headlights and fog lights

Bought myself a 2008 g37s about 2 months ago. This is my first post here, just been browsing and haven't got around to doing any mods yet since finances are holding me back.

Only mods done by previous owner were a stillen gen3 CAI , 33% tint (I know this because I already got a ticket, stupid virginia) and it was debadged if that counts as a mod. Everything on rear end except the "S", haven't decided if I like just leaving that yet, it's kinda grown on me. I'll have to add some pictures later, my laptop is broken so I'm using the site on my cell.
Anyways, about the lights... I understand that HID and LED are different types of light. What I can't figure out is why I can just get an HID plug and play replacement bulb for the headlights, and LED plug and play fog lights. But for HID fog lights, you need a conversion kit with a ballast and all that. Maybe I am wrong but if someone could explain this to me it would be greatly appreciated. BTW, I am looking at getting diode dynamics lights for these

Sorry if this has been asked but I couldn't find an explanation
Old 01-26-2015, 06:11 AM
stewartsw1

Sorry moderators just realized I posted here, please move this to the lighting section
Old 01-26-2015, 08:33 AM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Received 1,250 Likes on 1,012 Posts
Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new toy.

The main difference between the two lighting types lies in how the light is produced. In a nutshell, HID systems utilize a Ballast and Ignitor assembly to ramp up the cars 12VDC to a high voltage AC charge. This higher voltage is required to produce the electric arc that, when passed through the Xenon gas inside the bulb capsule, reacts to produce light. Remember those old sci-fi movies where the scientist always had those two electrodes with the electric current sparking between them? Same principle.

In contrast, LED's use the same 12VDC but typically use a resistor to regulate/lower the voltage and produce light.

Basically, LED's use less voltage and HID's use higher voltage, both have a longer life and produce less heat than regular, incandescent bulbs (mainly because there are no filaments to hear up and eventually break) and provide high quality light.

Your headlights are already HID, therefore they have the necessary hardware require to fire the bulb (ballast and Ignitor). Your fog lights are not HID from the factory, therefore you would need a conversion kit to add the ballast and ignitor if you wanted the HID system. Or, alternatively, you could just install LED bulbs, for the fogs and you are good to go. This is by far the easiest and typically most common method of fog conversion. There are tons of threads in this forum and online regarding HID and LED bulb choices.

Hope some of this clears up some confusion. Obviously there is more to it but this should hopefully shed some "light" on the subject.

Good luck and enjoy your toy!

Last edited by ILM-NC G37S; 01-26-2015 at 08:50 AM.
The following users liked this post:
AnotherVQ (02-16-2020)
Old 01-26-2015, 11:58 AM
stewartsw1

Awesome man really appreciate that. Explained perfectly especially this
"Your headlights are already HID, therefore they have the necessary hardware require to fire the bulb (ballast and Ignitor). Your fog lights are not HID from the factory, therefore you would need a conversion kit to add the ballast and ignitor if you wanted the HID system"

If I had just known that the headlights were already HID, i probably could've figured it out! Lol. Thanks again bud
Old 01-26-2015, 12:14 PM
G37Xtreme

Received 103 Likes on 78 Posts
Originally Posted by stewartsw1
Awesome man really appreciate that. Explained perfectly especially this
"Your headlights are already HID, therefore they have the necessary hardware require to fire the bulb (ballast and Ignitor). Your fog lights are not HID from the factory, therefore you would need a conversion kit to add the ballast and ignitor if you wanted the HID system"

If I had just known that the headlights were already HID, i probably could've figured it out! Lol. Thanks again bud
Your headlights are D2S style of HID. If you're looking to replace them, I can't stress buying once and crying once instead of getting something cheap and having it not work right...then having to buy the expensive bulb anyway...

My recommendation is to stay away from Morimoto. I personally suggest Osram...which owns Sylvania. The Osram D2S CBI will produce a cooler white than the stock bulbs, but it's not quite in the blue spectrum yet. It's a VERY popular bulb here, and should cost $185 for the pair. Look for a coupon code, and you may drop it to $155 or so. If you prefer the warm white look, there's an even brighter bulb made by Osram called the Xenarc Nightbreaker. It usually costs a tad more than the CBI.

I myself have the CBI and can't say enough good things about them. I've tried 2 different sets of the Morimoto bulbs and both had a defective bulb that acted up. I was able to return one set for a full refund, but the other set was only able to get a store credit. If you want to roll the dice, go with a cheaper bulb ($50/pair) but be prepared to have some issues. Maybe I was the 1%...either way, the Osrams do tend to put out more light anyway, so there are several things to consider.
Old 01-26-2015, 12:20 PM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

I agree totally with Xtreme. Use quality bulbs like the Osrams and the Philips Ultinons and you won't have any problems whatsoever. They are worth their weight in gold. Also, stay away from eBay- those knockoffs, even the ones claimed as "legit," will really cause problems. It is worth paying the price in my opinion.

Only the new Q50 (sedan) uses LED's for the headlights now. I imagine the redesigned Q60 (coupe) will follow suit. (Sounds like another mod in my future)

But for your '08, HID headlights and incandescent fogs from the factory.

Glad I could help. Now get out there and get modding!
Old 01-26-2015, 11:49 PM
stewartsw1

Ok thanks for the advice i am certainly considering the osram cbi. I was looking at the diode dynamics bulb that is around 40 dollars(heard those were good quality) but after seeing these "rolls Royce" of hid lights I'm not so sure.
Do you guys have any opinion on those? Does osram have a light with a cooler, higher kelvin rating?I wanted to go with a more blue colored light

Any chance you know what kind the OEM bulbs are, or how many kelvins those are rated at?

Thanks again
Old 01-27-2015, 08:38 AM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

OEM bulbs are 4300K
Osram CBI's are 5500K
Philips Ultinons are 6000K

I have the 6K Ultinons and they suit me quite well. Bright white light with a nice, sharp yet subtle blue tint and never had a problem with them to date. The CBI's are as close to bright, pure white as you can get and give you the most usable light output. If I ever need to replace bulbs I'd probably go with the CBI's.

Please nite that anything higher than 6K and the light turns more blue and purple and, to me, looks trashy.

I have used Diode Dynamics in the past for my LED's and they are a outstanding organization with great support. Many forum members use their products, both LED and HID, and most seen quite pleased so you could definitely consider them for bulbs.
The following users liked this post:
Diode Dynamics (01-27-2015)
Old 01-30-2015, 09:21 PM
Cjrodriguez31

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
Dont want to repeat anything else theyhave said above me but i want to throw in my two cents and experience with the fog lights.

I myself on my 11' G have 50W Cree LED fog lights and i couldnt be happier! They are super bright and they look really clean. I have had HID foglights in the past and no matter were i hid the ballast, it always got wet and blew out after about a year.

Either way, both HID and LED look really good on any car IMO so you could really go either way. A good set of HIDs for the fog lights will run you about $100 for a GOOD set with a GOOD ballast. My LED bulbs cost $80 so its really what looks good to you.

I attached a picture of the ones i have now; they were previously on my 09' murano and this is the only picture i have of them.
Attached Thumbnails HID/LED headlights and fog lights-image.jpg