Notices
Body Interior Exterior Lighting

Help Illuminated Grill Emblem

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2014, 08:29 PM
G37Some

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts
Illuminated Grill Emblem

So my girlfriend is turning in her car soon (bmw) and I was browsing some different new cars to see what are some good ideas for her next car. I came across the new mercedes CLA's and saw one AWESOME feature they give as an option - Illuminated Grill Emblems. I also saw one of these driving around recently around dusk and it looks amazing coming down the road, really is a unique eye catcher.

I wanted to know how to go about doing something like this. I was thinking an LED strip or even those EL Wire lights... a simple LED bulb might even be enough light right behind the emblem to light up that central area and make it glow behind the emblem... not exactly the perfect trim like the mercedes emblem.

theres tons of rain here in FL in the summer so it has to very safe and efficient)? I'm trying to take this feature and run with it, to do it on my G sometime soon but need some help planning it out.

Greatly appreciate any input. if I can get a solid plan I'd gladly post a DIY once it is done. Also I detailed my car today so here is a sexy picture since you clicked this thread.

(ive googled around forever and can find every other car emblem w/ led backlights but not infiniti.)

Mercedes emblem:

Fresh Detail:

Name:  Gw49MmZ.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  48.5 KB

Last edited by G37Some; 01-05-2014 at 08:41 PM.
Old 01-05-2014, 08:56 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,940 Likes on 4,174 Posts
IMO it's a bit gaudy and screams at you, but it would be unique.
If you were to do it you'd probably want to shave the front face off the OEM grill emblem and replace it w/ some frost acrylic so light could glow through. If you sealed the back of the emblem a single bright LED inside the emblem would be enough to transmit sufficient glow. Probably wouldn't cost much (except your time) and would be simple to remove & replace if it isn't what you expect.
I would imagine a stream of "don't do it!" posts will soon follow
Old 01-05-2014, 08:58 PM
LexiG37

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Tacky. Don't cheapen the look of your sweet ride.
Old 01-05-2014, 08:59 PM
warped ideas
A quarter past stripped

Received 374 Likes on 178 Posts
Originally Posted by blnewt
I would imagine a stream of "don't do it!" posts will soon follow
+1 Not the right look, my man. Wouldn't be hard to do, but......
Old 01-05-2014, 09:13 PM
G37Some

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts
tacky and gaudy in the same sense halo eyes and led DRL lights were when they first hit the market - and now theyre all the rage. yeah the JDM looking emblems look trashy but i dont want it very bright, just a sublte crisp white to make it pop against a black grill at night time. like the mercedes one, it isnt bright enough to cause a glare on cameras even (see above again) - just make it crisp at night time.

any of you guys have a backlit keyboard? (logitech illuminated is what i have for example).. yeah im thinking that type of back lit.

i like the idea for replacing the front of the emblem w/ acrylic and sealing it to weatherproof the LED bulb. sounds pretty simple too.

where would I be able to find a SAFE 12v battery source though, and/or where are the premade emblems supposed to be hooked up to so they only come on when headlights are on? directly into the headlights wires?
Old 01-05-2014, 09:16 PM
Darth Kinetic

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Yud be better to put reflective vinyl on the emblem and let cars headlight glimmer off it
Old 01-05-2014, 09:23 PM
warped ideas
A quarter past stripped

Originally Posted by G37Some
tacky and gaudy in the same sense halo eyes and led DRL lights were when they first hit the market - and now theyre all the rage. yeah the JDM looking emblems look trashy but i dont want it very bright, just a sublte crisp white to make it pop against a black grill at night time. like the mercedes one, it isnt bright enough to cause a glare on cameras even (see above again) - just make it crisp at night time.

any of you guys have a backlit keyboard? (logitech illuminated is what i have for example).. yeah im thinking that type of back lit.

i like the idea for replacing the front of the emblem w/ acrylic and sealing it to weatherproof the LED bulb. sounds pretty simple too.

where would I be able to find a SAFE 12v battery source though, and/or where are the premade emblems supposed to be hooked up to so they only come on when headlights are on? directly into the headlights wires?
I hear what your saying about the "fads" in the automotive industry, but that really would take away from the vehicle IMO. That Benz emblem just screams "LOOK AT ME, LOOK AT ME, I HAVE A BENZ". Your car looks great as it is.

Trending Topics

Old 01-05-2014, 10:12 PM
GoFightNguyen
Because Racecar

Received 748 Likes on 356 Posts
However you plan on making it glow, the wiring should be very easy. The drivers side headlight wiring harness passes 4 inches behind the emblem. A t-tap and an LED should be all you need to make it turn on and off with your headlights.

That being said, I don't really dig it. It's kind of...neon sign-y, if that makes sense.
Old 01-05-2014, 10:20 PM
warped ideas
A quarter past stripped

Originally Posted by GoFightNguyen
However you plan on making it glow, the wiring should be very easy. The drivers side headlight wiring harness passes 4 inches behind the emblem. A t-tap and an LED should be all you need to make it turn on and off with your headlights.

That being said, I don't really dig it. It's kind of...neon sign-y, if that makes sense.
I was thinking the same thing.... Couldn't find the words for it though.
Old 01-05-2014, 10:30 PM
GoFightNguyen
Because Racecar

Received 748 Likes on 356 Posts
Originally Posted by warped ideas
I was thinking the same thing.... Couldn't find the words for it though.
That's me, I'm a poet.
Old 01-05-2014, 10:53 PM
2008G-Man

Received 167 Likes on 139 Posts
Ricey .... don't do it.
Old 01-06-2014, 01:19 PM
Diode Dynamics
Former Sponsor

Received 141 Likes on 117 Posts
Keeping it waterproof with be your biggest challenge. Personally, it's not my favorite upgrade, but if you want to be unique, go for it!

Nick C.
Old 01-06-2014, 02:07 PM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts
The concept reminds me a bit about the lighted hood ornament I had on my old '51 Pontiac that was a dealer installed option on many Pontiacs in the fifties. It was a big hit at car shows when I entered my car.

Old 01-06-2014, 03:38 PM
Tommy Gunz PSIU
Premier Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
I think it might look OK. You might want to just mock it up real quick and see what it looks like before you get to crazy. And obviously take pictures if you do a mock up to show us.
Old 01-06-2014, 10:26 PM
NightInSeoul

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I feel like it'd be hit or miss. Hit as in sexy and miss as in ricey. But hey, if people dig it you'll be able to say you were the one that started the trend.

Quick Reply: Help Illuminated Grill Emblem