Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Climate Control turns on A/C cycling through modes?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2016, 11:34 PM
wlmmn
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Climate Control turns on A/C cycling through modes?

I've had my g37x for almost two years now so I don't know why I'm only now asking this, but....

On a cold day, I want the heat on, so I'll set the temp to about 76, but cycling through the different air location modes (The "MODE" button) turns on the A/C when it goes to the face air location. Naturally, I don't want A/C air on my face when it's 3 degrees out, so I quickly turn off the A/C button, but it's super annoying - I've never had to deal with this with any other car I've had. Is there any way to change the behavior of the Climate Control doing this?
Old 12-23-2016, 11:57 PM
Epiphany
Registered Member

Received 231 Likes on 207 Posts
It's not to cool down the air, it's to dry it out. It comes on whenever the defroster is cycled to on. Are you sure it comes on when it's on face and not defrost?
Old 12-24-2016, 08:46 AM
Landshark
Registered Member

Received 187 Likes on 145 Posts
it used to be a good thing to run AC in the winter every so often to keep the seals from drying out, but modern cars will run the compressor on the defrost mode (to dehumidify the air as mentioned above).
Old 12-26-2016, 04:11 PM
wlmmn
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Epiphany
...Are you sure it comes on when it's on face and not defrost?
Well....essentially yes, as far as I'm concerned. I just did this again so it's fresh in my mind...while it's the defrost mode that turns on the A/C, the fact is I have to cycle through the defrost mode to get to the face mode, and the A/C that was turned on automatically by the defrost does not turn off automatically cycling off the defrost to get to the face; I have to do it manually, and it's annoying. Any way to change this?
Old 12-26-2016, 05:40 PM
Epiphany
Registered Member

Received 231 Likes on 207 Posts
Originally Posted by wlmmn
Well....essentially yes, as far as I'm concerned. I just did this again so it's fresh in my mind...while it's the defrost mode that turns on the A/C, the fact is I have to cycle through the defrost mode to get to the face mode, and the A/C that was turned on automatically by the defrost does not turn off automatically cycling off the defrost to get to the face; I have to do it manually, and it's annoying. Any way to change this?
Highly unlikely you'll be able to change it without disabling AC. There's a fair amount of cars that do this, and a lot that turn AC on without even showing that it's on with defrost.
Old 12-26-2016, 06:58 PM
Elco
Registered Member

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
I found that AUTO mode work's the best no matter what is the outside temperature.
Just hit AUTO button, set your desired temperature and forget about the AC. He will do the job is designed to do.

AC ON don't mean it blow cool air in your face.
AC is used in the winter to dry the air so the windows won't get fogged.
In the winter, when hot air is needed, the air will go trough the AC condenser to dry the air, then trough the cabin heater, then will go into the cabin.
So you will get the hot air required to heat the cabin.
Old 12-28-2016, 10:19 AM
wlmmn
Registered Member

Ah I see; thanks for clearing that up.
I'll try that; it's just that seeing the A/C button on when it's super cold outside got to me, but I haven't even thought to try it.
Old 12-28-2016, 11:10 AM
Selym
Registered Member

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts
Originally Posted by Elco
I found that AUTO mode work's the best no matter what is the outside temperature.
Just hit AUTO button, set your desired temperature and forget about the AC. He will do the job is designed to do.

AC ON don't mean it blow cool air in your face.
AC is used in the winter to dry the air so the windows won't get fogged.
In the winter, when hot air is needed, the air will go trough the AC condenser to dry the air, then trough the cabin heater, then will go into the cabin.
So you will get the hot air required to heat the cabin.
That's exactly what's stated in the owner's manual. "Auto" is for cooling in warm weather and dehumidified heating in cold weather.

Incidentally, the air passes through the evaporator coil, not the condenser coil.
Old 12-28-2016, 01:30 PM
Elco
Registered Member

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by Selym
Incidentally, the air passes through the evaporator coil, not the condenser coil.
Sorry... I got them mixt up
The condenser is outside and the evaporator is inside