Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

G37 Smart Key Fob - How to get one programmed cheaply (Cost, Price, Locksmith)

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2017, 05:06 PM
Cwickenstein

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you for this thread and details!

I JUST got my '11 S. My '13 Altima had remote start. Does the G37 have remote start? I received the car with only 1 fob, which was reprogrammed from a Nissan w/out remote start. Everything works fine, even keyless window up/down.

Thanks for your help!
Old 10-26-2017, 03:58 PM
blazeplacid

Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Cwickenstein
Thank you for this thread and details!

I JUST got my '11 S. My '13 Altima had remote start. Does the G37 have remote start? I received the car with only 1 fob, which was reprogrammed from a Nissan w/out remote start. Everything works fine, even keyless window up/down.

Thanks for your help!

This remote start is easy to install.Not factory but does use factory keys.
Infiniti G37 2011 Push-to-Start | Remote starter, bypass module and alarm system | Fortin
Old 06-16-2018, 10:57 AM
airlia101

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I know, reviving an old thread, but it seemed like the most relevant place to add a cautionary note. TL;DR, only press the ON button ONCE >.<

I just bought the Dorman product to try. Yes, it's covered in warnings, and yes, i read them, read them again, watched the video, wrote notes on it, practice my running w/o the OBD box, and finally tried it.

What the Dorman instructions don't tell you is that the programming module *changes the behavior of your ON button!*
Any other time, press once for ACC, press one more time for ON. So, i said, just need to double-tap it when the instructions say.
Turn on normally, plug in, beep, turn off, beep, double-tap, and it goes right to ON and then turns off. Fffff!...
So now I've got to get my only good key fob re-paired.
All you whose dealer wants $175 for that, you don't know how good you have it. Mine quotes $400, before the price of the key! Highway robbery!!
Old 06-19-2018, 10:26 PM
AdamBritt
Registered Member

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts
You probably already got it taken care of, but call a locksmith if you need it next time. They should be able to do it without paying dealership prices.
The following users liked this post:
llebcire (06-20-2018)
Old 06-20-2018, 06:12 AM
Surfnazi
Registered Member

Received 176 Likes on 165 Posts
Autozone sells one for 90 bucks that programs to your car looks almost identical to OEM fob
Old 06-20-2018, 08:27 AM
llebcire
Registered Member

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by AdamBritt
You probably already got it taken care of, but call a locksmith if you need it next time. They should be able to do it without paying dealership prices.
Exactly!

Last fall I purchased a previously enjoyed OEM fob from eBay for less than $50 then had my local locksmith program it for $40.

-Eric
Old 10-14-2018, 01:46 PM
ZzBloopzZ
Registered Member

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
This seems to have best reviews with lowest price. What do you guys think? https://www.ebay.com/itm/INFINITI-G3...item466404e62e

Sadly, cheapest in DC area for programming form locksmith so far is $90 quote. Thinking to just get the Dorman but little nervous as airlia101's post above looks like programming messed up the car so they had to get reprogrammed at dealership. Possibly that person just did not know what they were doing?
Old 10-14-2018, 03:45 PM
bmarshall8

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
@ZzBloopzZ this thread was helpful for me (about a year ago), so even though it is old, it seems to continually help people. The route I decided to go for getting a new keyless entry fob for my 2013 G37s Coupe was to purchase two used OEM fobs and a couple new blanks on eBay, Craigslist or OfferUp. And had them programmed at a local NISSAN dealer. I spent $50 total for 2 used OEM fobs and 2 key blanks. And, I spent $75 flat fee at the Dealership for programming all of my keys at one time.

Here are some important details to be aware of, and the steps that I took (which I recommend):
1. Take the key out of your fob, and look at the FCC ID. (Mine says; FCC ID KR55WK48903) Even though I have an Infiniti, I bought a Nissan fob with the same ID and it works great. I have a total of 3 keys that are programmed for my car. The two Infiniti fobs have two different brands on the back where the key inserts (One is Siemens VDO, and the other is Continental), and the Nissan fob is Siemens VDO. So, for me - I found that the brand doesn't matter, nor does the code next to the 315MHz. But, the FCC ID is what matters to match with your original key.
2. Call around to all the Infiniti AND Nissan dealers and ask what their programming fee is (in 2017 the Seattle area, prices ranged from $75 to $150). For me, the cheapest was a Nissan dealer for $75, so I went there. I assumed they would simply program the 2 new remotes I bought (since the original remote was already programmed to the car). They told me that it doesn't work that way. They said when you need to associate a new fob to the car, the original key will need to be reprogrammed along with it (so all of them work with the car in the same way on the same connection). I was concerned that would cost me $75 per key, but they informed me that the $75 charge is for the hour they have to spend programming it (not the number of key fobs that need to be programmed). So, within an hour, they were able to program all 3 of my key fobs to my car (2 Infiniti key fobs and one Nissan key fob). The service guy seemed to be really knowledgeable, and was super cool (he also had a G37) - he told me that some techs are better at programming than others. He said sometimes the programming fails and it takes a good tech to know the programming process well in order to try different programming techniques to get all of the fobs to sync. I thought that was interesting.
3. Check all of your keys after you get them programmed and cut (BEFORE you leave the dealer).

Hope that sharing my experience might help you or someone else int he future. Thanks for the post.

P.S. I think that eBay fob looks legit, and a pretty decent deal! I was lucky to find one locally on CL for $20, but was definitely not going to pay more than $50 since there are some great deals out there if you look.

Last edited by bmarshall8; 10-14-2018 at 06:39 PM. Reason: Forgot to add something...
The following 2 users liked this post by bmarshall8:
infinistic (10-14-2018), IPL Twin (08-06-2019)
Old 10-14-2018, 03:55 PM
infinistic
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I have a Dorman fob for over a year now. Both the OEM and Dorman fobs work together with no issues and the ON button work fine with no issue so, yes, I assume airlia101 has messed up the procedure some how.
My complaint about Dorman is the range. Its range suck, really suck. It works within 2 feet of the door. If I want to open the trunk, I have to walk closer to the driver's door or passenger's door to open the trunk. I'm living with this fob still because I'm used to the lock/unlock button on the door handle and rarely open the trunk. My wife uses the original fob and she's happy
Old 10-14-2018, 04:08 PM
infinistic
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by bmarshall8
@ZzBloopzZ this thread was helpful for me (about a year ago), so even though it is old, it seems to continually help people. The route I decided to go for getting a new keyless entry fob for my 2013 G37s Coupe was to purchase two used OEM fobs and a couple new blanks on eBay, Craigslist or OfferUp. And had them programmed at a local NISSAN dealer. I spent $50 total for 2 used OEM fobs and 2 key blanks. And, I spent $75 flat fee at the Dealership for programming all of my keys at one time.

Here are some important details to be aware of, and the steps that I took (which I recommend):
1. Take the key out of your fob, and look at the FCC ID. (Mine says; FCC ID KR55WK48903) Even though I have an Infiniti, I bought a Nissan fob with the same ID and it works great. I have a total of 3 keys that are programmed for my car. The two Infiniti fobs have two different brands on the back where the key inserts (One is Siemens VDO, and the other is Continental), and the Nissan fob is Siemens VDO. So, for me - I found that the brand doesn't matter, nor does the code next to the 315MHz. But, the FCC ID is what matters to match with your original key.
2. Call around to all the Infiniti AND Nissan dealers and ask what their programming fee is (in 2017 the Seattle area, prices ranged from $75 to $150). For me, the cheapest was a Nissan dealer for $75, so I went there. I assumed they would simply program the 2 new remotes I bought (since the original remote was already programmed to the car). They told me that it doesn't work that way. They said when you need to associate a new fob to the car, the original key will need to be reprogrammed along with it (so all of them work with the car in the same way on the same connection). I was concerned that would cost me $75 per key, but they informed me that the $75 charge is for the hour they have to spend programming it (not the number of key fobs that need to be programmed). So, within an hour, they were able to program all 3 of my key fobs to my car (2 Infiniti key fobs and one Nissan key fob). The service guy seemed to be really knowledgeable, and was super cool (he also had a G37) - he told me that some techs are better at programming than others. He said sometimes the programming fails and it takes a good tech to know the programming process well in order to try different programming techniques to get all of the fobs to sync. I thought that was interesting.
3. Check all of your keys after you get them programmed and cut.

Hope that sharing my experience might help you or someone else int he future. Thanks for the post.

P.S. I think that eBay fob looks legit, and a pretty decent deal! I was lucky to find one locally on CL for $20, but was definitely not going to pay more than $50 since there are some great deals out there if you look.
$75 programming fee at the dealer is pretty good deal. When I was shopping for a fob last year, I called Nissan and Infiniti dealers close to me and all told me that I have to purchase the fob from them
Old 06-01-2019, 11:28 AM
ZzBloopzZ
Registered Member

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Update, I ended up ordering two key FOB's on eBay from the seller named: 1midatlanticlocksmith (https://www.ebay.com/itm/112113165028) based on good user reviews. I reached out to MANY local programmers on Yelp and the cheapest price was $75 per key. I ended up just going to the Infiniti dealership where they charged $157.50 to have both keys programmed and cut. I probably should have just gone to Home Depot to have them cut and save some money since they charged $10-15 per key for that, but I just wanted it all done due to limited time back then with a stressful job I had. Keys are working PERFECTLY for several months now. Glad I saved money by ordering on eBay. I waited for a 10% coupon before ordering the keys too. I know sometimes they do 15% off coupons too although rare.

I should have asked one of the Yelp vendors that Infiniti charges $135 to program multiple keys since it takes few minutes extra but I heard of issues where they can't get it write and even original FOB stops working and have to get it towed to dealership to get it to work. With my luck, even if it is rare chance it would happen to me. lol

Last edited by ZzBloopzZ; 06-01-2019 at 11:59 AM.
Old 04-12-2020, 01:14 AM
mummy2
Registered Member

Received 102 Likes on 90 Posts
Stay away from aftermarket fobs. Had issues when i used one. Can have up to 4 keys programmed at the same time.
The following users liked this post:
llebcire (04-12-2020)
Old 04-12-2020, 01:16 AM
mummy2
Registered Member

Received 102 Likes on 90 Posts
Originally Posted by blazeplacid
This remote start is easy to install.Not factory but does use factory keys.
Infiniti G37 2011 Push-to-Start | Remote starter, bypass module and alarm system | Fortin
Get the evo one. The all doesn't do 2 way communication with cellular remote starters.
Old 05-22-2020, 02:25 PM
rameez.zubair
Registered Member

FCC no slightly different

Hey guys, I have the japanese variant of the g37 the 370gt. My fob is broken and the FCC code of the broken fob is 5WK48902 instead of what 52K48903 that seems to come with the infinity.
Do you guys reckon if I get my self the infinity FOB, it can be programmed to work with my 370gt?

Thank!!

Old 05-22-2020, 02:32 PM
rameez.zubair
Registered Member

FCC no slightly different

Hey guys, I have the japanese variant of the g37 the 370gt. My fob is broken and the FCC code of the broken fob is 5WK48902 instead of what 52K48903 that seems to come with the infinity.
Do you guys reckon if I get my self the infinity FOB, it can be programmed to work with my 370gt?

Thanks!!