Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Where to get FOB reprogrammed (Seattle metro area)

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2016, 04:35 PM
thisoldbum
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Where to get FOB reprogrammed (Seattle metro area)

Hi all, I recently got a '13 g37x, great car and all but came with only 1 key. I did my due diligence and put in the research and finally got a replacement online like everyone else while making sure it's compatible. Unfortunately when I called the nearest dealer (on the eastside), I was quoted $149+tax . Instead of using profanity, I've decided to use my consumer bill of rights and vote with my wallet and not get it programmed there. (And no, this isn't one where you can insert and take out 6 times to reprogram)

That being said, I still need to get it programmed. Does anyone know of a reputable locksmith in the Puget Sound area that they have used (in other words, they have used ) for the purposes of reprogramming your fob? I'll be moving on to the next step of calling other nearby Infiniti and Nissan dealers but just wanted to see if someone has had experience in the area as I can't be the first or the last to deal with this.

I'd pretty much be willing to drive anywhere within the Puget Sound area if I don't have to pay the quoted fee.

Thanks in advance all.
Old 06-01-2016, 05:57 PM
saywat?
Registered Member

Received 276 Likes on 238 Posts
from my own recent experience id suggest taking it to the dealers even though it cost over $100 bc if anything goes wrong at least they can fix it. like in my case dealer toasted the ecm but they eventually covered it. had i taken it else where like a locksmith and it happened i think id be sol and in a long lawsuit of some kind
Old 06-01-2016, 06:22 PM
thisoldbum
Registered Member

I guess this is a trade-off of cost and time for me, meaning it's not high priority so I'm willing to put in the legwork to see if I could get a better price and while I'm doing that, I'm just trying to see if what others in the area have experienced.

I understand what you're saying and if it was important, the cost really would not have mattered. I'm just one of those that won't pay what I think is overpriced (aka cheap) as long as there are other options. Anyway, thanks for your input.
Old 06-02-2016, 05:42 PM
telcoman
Registered Member

Received 161 Likes on 139 Posts
Originally Posted by thisoldbum
Hi all, I recently got a '13 g37x, great car and all but came with only 1 key. .
You should have demanded the second FOB as part of the sale or had the purchase price reduced to cover the purchase at the dealer.

Originally Posted by thisoldbum
Unfortunately when I called the nearest dealer (on the eastside), I was quoted $149+tax . .
If you can't afford the $149.00 you are most likely over your head with this vehicle. Perhaps a new Honda Civic that comes with two remotes would better serve your needs and pocketbook?

Telcoman
Old 06-02-2016, 06:02 PM
thisoldbum
Registered Member

Originally Posted by telcoman
You should have demanded the second FOB as part of the sale or had the purchase price reduced to cover the purchase at the dealer.
Thanks, I'm surprised I had the same idea of getting that amount reduced plus a little bit more for my trouble to get it replaced. What a coincidence!

If you can't afford the $149.00 you are most likely over your head with this vehicle. Perhaps a new Honda Civic that comes with two remotes would better serve your needs and pocketbook?
Oh the snobbery I had missed while I did own a new Honda Civic the last few years! Surprisingly quick for a 4 banger and great gas mileage! There's throwing your money away and there's being thrifty. But thanks for the warm welcome!
Old 06-02-2016, 08:26 PM
j50ny
Premier Member

Received 152 Likes on 140 Posts
I recently had this done, but I bought the fob from the dealer. Here is what I paid...(see pic)

I unfortunately had a bad experience with buying a fob from a place other than the dealer when I had my M35. Long story short...it couldn't be programmed. Live and learn (for me).

For just the programming, the cost was $140.45 at Infiniti of Lynbrook
Attached Thumbnails Where to get FOB reprogrammed (Seattle metro area)-1464913382139.jpg  
Old 06-02-2016, 11:32 PM
kennyz424

Received 1,498 Likes on 1,271 Posts
^^ ^^
Old 06-03-2016, 09:46 AM
j50ny
Premier Member

Received 152 Likes on 140 Posts
Originally Posted by kennyz424
^^ ^^
Lol...yeah I know

In this case, nothing beats a piece of mind. I have NEVER lost any key that I've ever had in my possession, but recently had a valet lose my ONLY car key. Once they found it after hours of searching, I vowed to never have just one key for my car. Things happen...even if by no fault of mine. Figure, I spend countless dollars on rare and/or meaningful to me car stuff...might as well spend the money for something I actually need
Old 06-08-2016, 01:14 PM
blazeplacid

Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

Telcoman
Wow, that's a great attitude you got there.