Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

recommendation for good car mount? (under $30)

Old 02-10-2016, 12:26 PM
mastapro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have bought 2 car mounts in the past few months and both are disappointing so far. One is the iOttie Onetouch, which sucks because I find the sticky pad WAY to sticky so it's hard to remove when I'm done with it. The second is just a random vent mount, which looks good but the problem is that when I'm driving, the weight of the mount swings my vents back and forth so I keep having to adjust it... I pretty much use my phone as GPS every day to and from work so I get the best route so does anybody have a good mount that they recommend?
Old 02-10-2016, 04:42 PM
Roblom
Registered Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Brodit ftw
Probably costs more than $30 but when you buy a new phone or a new car you can reuse the half of it (unless you change both at the same time) :-)
Old 02-10-2016, 10:30 PM
mastapro

Originally Posted by Roblom
Brodit ftw
Probably costs more than $30 but when you buy a new phone or a new car you can reuse the half of it (unless you change both at the same time) :-)
is that the proclip? i was looking at that and it looks liek the mount is $30 and there's a phone holder for like $45+?? Or am i just confused on it?
Old 02-11-2016, 12:49 AM
Gio37
Registered Member

Received 244 Likes on 166 Posts
I was also looking for a small compact mount for my phone. Someone suggested this one
<b>LINK</b> LINK

I figured for the low $6.99 price it was worth a try. After using it for over a month I really like it

g/l
The following users liked this post:
kennyz424 (02-25-2016)
Old 02-11-2016, 07:56 AM
G37xhibeet

Received 93 Likes on 77 Posts
I just bought this one.
Link
Not bad; haven't hit any bumps with it yet though.

Last edited by G37xhibeet; 02-15-2016 at 10:41 AM.
Old 02-11-2016, 10:35 AM
mastapro

Originally Posted by Gio37
I was also looking for a small compact mount for my phone. Someone suggested this one LINK

I figured for the low $6.99 price it was worth a try. After using it for over a month I really like it

g/l
Does the vent swing back and forth on that one for you? I have one that clips on the vent right now and it's nice but my vent swings left and right when i drive... so my phone is always swinging back and forth. I don't think it's cuz i have defective vents cuz all of my vents do it..
Old 02-11-2016, 12:04 PM
quakerroatmeal
Registered Member

Received 97 Likes on 79 Posts
I've used this one before. Similar to above.

Amazon.com: Mountek nGroove Universal CD Slot Mount for Cell Phones and GPS Devices: MP3 Players & Accessories Amazon.com: Mountek nGroove Universal CD Slot Mount for Cell Phones and GPS Devices: MP3 Players & Accessories

Works wonderful
Old 02-13-2016, 06:09 AM
Roblom
Registered Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by mastapro
is that the proclip? i was looking at that and it looks liek the mount is $30 and there's a phone holder for like $45+?? Or am i just confused on it?
Yes, you have a part special made for your car and a part that is special made for your phone. The connection between these two parts is universal so interchangeable when you buy for example a new phone but not a new car.
Old 02-15-2016, 10:26 AM
Landshark
Registered Member

Received 187 Likes on 145 Posts
I have bought 2 car mounts in the past few months and both are disappointing so far. One is the iOttie Onetouch, which sucks because I find the sticky pad WAY to sticky so it's hard to remove when I'm done with it.
why do you need to remove the iOttie? just leave it in place if you use it often.
best position for me is to the right of the instrument cluster.

Old 02-15-2016, 06:07 PM
mastapro

Originally Posted by Landshark
why do you need to remove the iOttie? just leave it in place if you use it often.
best position for me is to the right of the instrument cluster.

I don't use it often so I like the minimalistic look inside my car. I only use it in the mornings once every few days.
Old 02-15-2016, 07:39 PM
VIVID
Pyroclastic Flow

Received 358 Likes on 277 Posts
Originally Posted by G37xhibeet
I just bought this one.
Link
Not bad; haven't hit any bumps with it yet though.

G -

That's what channel I listen to in the morning. LOL.

Sean
Old 02-16-2016, 11:37 AM
Landshark
Registered Member

Received 187 Likes on 145 Posts
I don't use it often so I like the minimalistic look inside my car. I only use it in the mornings once every few days.
the G is tough - there isn't a lot of places to put a phone mount.

i'm not a fan of CD slot mounts, because they position the phone too low and i don't want to get into an accident glancing down at it.

i have something like this, but it doesn't work too well with my current phone because it has a flip-case. might work for you, and even if it doesn't, its cheap enough to not be a big loss.

Amazon.com: Car Mount: StalionĀ® Stand Universal Cell Phone & GPS Magnetic Car Cradle (Jet Black) for Apple iPhone 6s, 6s Plus, Samsung Galaxy S6, S6 Edge+, Galaxy Note 5, Tablets and other smartphones: Cell Phones & Accessories Amazon.com: Car Mount: StalionĀ® Stand Universal Cell Phone & GPS Magnetic Car Cradle (Jet Black) for Apple iPhone 6s, 6s Plus, Samsung Galaxy S6, S6 Edge+, Galaxy Note 5, Tablets and other smartphones: Cell Phones & Accessories
Old 02-16-2016, 06:02 PM
mastapro

Originally Posted by Landshark
the G is tough - there isn't a lot of places to put a phone mount.

i'm not a fan of CD slot mounts, because they position the phone too low and i don't want to get into an accident glancing down at it.

i have something like this, but it doesn't work too well with my current phone because it has a flip-case. might work for you, and even if it doesn't, its cheap enough to not be a big loss.

Amazon.com: Car Mount: StalionĀ® Stand Universal Cell Phone & GPS Magnetic Car Cradle (Jet Black) for Apple iPhone 6s, 6s Plus, Samsung Galaxy S6, S6 Edge+, Galaxy Note 5, Tablets and other smartphones: Cell Phones & Accessories
That's kinda like the one i described in the OP. Unfortunately the vents on the G swing back and forth with that thing on it
Old 03-10-2016, 05:30 AM
dan428

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I got a magnetic one for like $5 that mounts on dashboard and it works perfectly.. hasn't budged and doesn't vibrate or anything