Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Just picked up a 2-CH dash cam

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2015, 03:18 AM
User 122320
Registered Member

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by Epiphany
The A pillar? the wire comes out of the headliner, goes across the top of the airbag cover on the a pillar, then into the door weatherstripping.
Okay, I just looked at it again. And noticed that I can push in on the headliner just enough to force the wires between the pillar and the headliner.

Will try again Tuesday or so.

Thanks for the help man.

-----------
Still not sure about the rear cam. Look at the side airbags.

Last edited by User 122320; 09-28-2015 at 03:48 AM.
Old 09-28-2015, 09:41 PM
Epiphany
Registered Member

Received 232 Likes on 208 Posts
Originally Posted by clutchfan
Okay, I just looked at it again. And noticed that I can push in on the headliner just enough to force the wires between the pillar and the headliner.

Will try again Tuesday or so.

Thanks for the help man.

-----------
Still not sure about the rear cam. Look at the side airbags.
Yeah that's what I've done, there's just enough gap to push the wires in.For the rears you might be better off running down the side of the rear seats to the floor then running it along the floor under the mats then up near the dead pedal. I haven't really looked at our flooring but there might be somewhere you could run it.
Old 09-29-2015, 01:42 AM
misterJm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which fuse did you tap for the always on one? How did you tap it?
Old 09-29-2015, 02:44 AM
User 122320
Registered Member

Originally Posted by misterJm
Which fuse did you tap for the always on one? How did you tap it?
I use the Electrical Parts fuse (10A). It says BATT..

For the other fuse, any that says ACC is good. I use 20A Power Socket.

For tapping into fuse. I bought the Tap a Fuse from Amazon. You can probably find them cheaper on Ebay.

http://amzn.to/1MCRjDs
Old 09-30-2015, 05:10 AM
User 122320
Registered Member

You will need to purchase (2) tap a fuse wire kit AND you will also need to buy a Power Magic Pro to tap the fuse. (if your dash cam didn't come with one).

The Power Magic Pro allows the Dash Cam to record while the vehicle is off and it also allows you to tap into the fuse box.

The Tap a fuse kit is then crimped together to the Power Magic Pro as seen below. You then tap into the fuse box by remove the 2 fuse and replacing the fuse onto the Tap a Fuse kit. So each "tap a fuse" will have (2) fuse on it. The Dash Cam itself connects to the Power Magic Pro via the CIG lighter plug.

Power Magic Pro Kit
Old 10-01-2015, 10:36 PM
User 122320
Registered Member

Just installed the front cam. Had to tap into a different fuse since there were some large plastic crap in the way on the other fuse. I tapped into the (Meter fuse 10A) and the (Socket fuse 20A).

Took a lot of zip ties. Tons of extra cable slack. Had the neatly fold the wires and tuck it under the fuse area. I installed the power magic pro controller under the steering wheel. Also, for the ground, I just loosen a 10mm bolt near the foot rest where other wires were grounded to and slid the ground wire into that bolt and tighten.

I routed the wires under the homelink plastic thingy and across the headliner, down the pillar and all the way to the fuse box. Didn't have to pull any panels, just carefully tucked it in. When all said and done, looks very clean and professional.

As for the rear cam, maybe next week. lol

Just picked up a 2-CH dash cam-fiqxohr.jpg
Old 10-01-2015, 10:46 PM
User 122320
Registered Member

Sample video using High setting. We have 3 options (Highest, High and Normal). I use the android app to view the live footage to adjust the camera angle. Awesome app! Just a little laggy.

Image Quality is pretty crap. But the G Coupe Bose sound system is pretty good! Not sure if it's not finish loading or whatever. Oh, and the camera was pretty hot after only about 30 minutes if driving. I mean, extremely hot. The SD card was also piping hot. No wonder it has a high fail rate.

edit: Select 1080P and quality is pretty good. I can read the license plate of the van. Think I'll leave it at "high" instead of highest.

Last edited by User 122320; 10-01-2015 at 11:05 PM.
Old 10-01-2015, 11:55 PM
micafd3s

Received 114 Likes on 102 Posts
ive always wondered why folks mounted the cams on the front..
wouldn't it be better to capture a wider angle if you were to mount it on the rear window facing front..
wider angle equals more coverage..
Old 10-02-2015, 12:05 AM
User 122320
Registered Member

Originally Posted by micafd3s
wouldn't it be better to capture a wider angle if you were to mount it on the rear window facing front..
To record license plate. That's why one front and one rear is good enough.
Old 10-02-2015, 12:22 AM
Epiphany
Registered Member

Sample video using High setting. We have 3 options (Highest, High and Normal). I use the android app to view the live footage to adjust the camera angle. Awesome app! Just a little laggy.

Image Quality is pretty crap. But the G Coupe Bose sound system is pretty good! Not sure if it's not finish loading or whatever. Oh, and the camera was pretty hot after only about 30 minutes if driving. I mean, extremely hot. The SD card was also piping hot. No wonder it has a high fail rate.

edit: Select 1080P and quality is pretty good. I can read the license plate of the van. Think I'll leave it at "high" instead of highest.
Looks like a clean install, hopefully the rear goes as smooth as the front. All the wiring seems daunting at first but as you now know it just needs patience. I would leave it set to highest though, just in the unfortunate situation you ever need to get somebodies plate after a hit and run or something, you'll want as much detail as possible.
Originally Posted by micafd3s
If you mount it on the rear window looking forward you'll have a view through the very center of the windshield and the cabin. You'll barely be able to see what's going on infront of the car.
Old 10-02-2015, 01:02 AM
User 122320
Registered Member

Looks like a clean install, hopefully the rear goes as smooth as the front. All the wiring seems daunting at first but as you now know it just needs patience. I would leave it set to highest though, just in the unfortunate situation you ever need to get somebodies plate after a hit and run or something, you'll want as much detail as possible.
Hey, what's your voltage setting for parking mode?

11.8V? 12V? 22.8V?
Old 10-03-2015, 01:28 AM
Epiphany
Registered Member

Hey, what's your voltage setting for parking mode?

11.8V? 12V? 22.8V?
Mine doesn't have a parking mode so I can't help you with that, mine just runs with the car. The one I have is a fair bit cheaper than what you've got.
Old 10-04-2015, 03:14 AM
User 122320
Registered Member

Mine doesn't have a parking mode so I can't help you with that, mine just runs with the car. The one I have is a fair bit cheaper than what you've got.
Alright. cool. I just set it at 12V just to be safe.
Old 10-14-2015, 02:14 AM
User 122320
Registered Member

Going to install the rear dash cam on Wednesday. Plus do a better job at routing the wires. Going to pull out the A-Pillar and tuck the wires better and make it more secured.

As for the rear cam, I will route it along the pillar, but instead of tucking it along the side of the headliner near the airbags, I will route it down along the door sills away from the air bags. Then work my way up to the rear from there.
Old 10-14-2015, 10:25 PM
User 122320
Registered Member

Just finished installing the rear cam. It was easier than I thought it would be. The extra cable length I just zipped tied tucked into the bottom of the door sill area. There's like a black tube of wires from the factory. I just ran the rear camera cable along with it and zip tied certain areas.

Ran it inside the plastic rear quarter panel plastic and then just tucked the wires into the seem between the headliner and the quarter panel.

Cleaned up the wires in the front and adjusted the wires on the A-Pillar to avoid the air bags. I just remove the rubber seal to see where the air bags were. Since I couldn't pull out the A Pillar.

Quick Reply: Just picked up a 2-CH dash cam