Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Quiet Cabin

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2015, 02:02 AM
mezzo
Green Eyes!

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Quiet Cabin

Im looking to purchase secondskin products to quiet down my cabin from high flow cat drone noise.

I am going to purchase 36 sq ft of damplifier pro and then 36 sq ft of luxury liner pro to go over top of it..

Would this be enough to do my trunk and rear seat floor boards?

https://store.secondskinaudio.com
Old 08-02-2015, 02:26 AM
strictlys

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
let me know how it goes... our cars aren't the greatest for road noise. I hear my tires and outside noise easy. I dont have an exhaust its completely stock. I hope it can stop some of the road noise. I was planning to go this route too.
Old 08-02-2015, 01:31 PM
JakeG37

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I to have considered doing this since I do get quite a bit of drone from my Ark exhaust. I bought some CLD tiles from SDS and will be putting those in the trunk and doors when i do my stereo upgrade in the near future. I would also like to put some tiles in the floor and line them with luxury liner pro to see how that stops the drone and road noise. I also have wondered if adding or Heat Wave Pro would be be better than luxury liner pro or in addition to. Not sure if stacking deadener, luxury liner pro, and heat wave pro would be too bulky under the seats.
Old 08-02-2015, 01:38 PM
JakeG37

Another thing I note with people installing sound deadener (Dynamat, Secondskin, etc) is that a lot of people seem to think 100% coverage is more effective than 25-50% coverage. From what I have read, the deadener is only effective at reducing the resonance of the metal it is applied to and complete coverage is not necessary for it to be completely effective at that task. Deadener is not sound proofing which is why they have products like Luxury Liner Pro and Heat Wave Pro to address those aspects of eliminating road noise and other ambient sounds. I like that the Luxury Liner Pro has the closed cell foam bonded to the MLV since I think the combination of the two would yield the most significant results rather than using either one exclusive of the other.
Old 08-02-2015, 08:17 PM
JakeG37

mezzo, I just took some rough measurements in the trunk and cabin of the car. I estimate about 35 sqft needed to do the whole floor of the car, and about 16 sqft for the trunk (im including the top of the trunk lid and floor. Also may add a couple more sqft for the sides. Since you are only considering the back seats, 36sqft might be enough.

I know for my own planning, it will make sense to do the floor and trunk completely in one big fell swoop. I do not want to try and skimp on the material since its labor intensive to remove all the seats, carpet, trim, etc. Depending how that sounds to me, I will consider attacking the doors with something similar. I will consider doing more to the doors depending on how the rest goes. I will also be doing the headliner since I will be running some cable to my remote for my DSP from the trunk. I will put the remote in the sunglass holder. It should take very little material on the headliner since the sunroof takes up a lot of space.
Old 08-02-2015, 10:14 PM
mezzo
Green Eyes!

thanks for the info jake, Material will be here tomorrow I think.

probably install it sometime this week after work.

on the damplifier pro. as far as the trunk is concerned,, you were mentioning not covering the whole thing ? how would you do you trunk with the damplifier pro as far as where it would go and in how big of squares or what have you. I'm assuming I lay down the luxury liner pro every where I can in the trunk. going to have a friend help me install..
Old 08-02-2015, 10:16 PM
mezzo
Green Eyes!

ah I read your post incorrectly. I was planning on covering 100 percent of the area in the trunk with the damplifer. I was reading though like you were stating that 25 to 50 percent coverage is only necessary.
Old 08-03-2015, 02:04 AM
JakeG37

Originally Posted by mezzo
ah I read your post incorrectly. I was planning on covering 100 percent of the area in the trunk with the damplifer. I was reading though like you were stating that 25 to 50 percent coverage is only necessary.
That exactly what I was stating. The damplifier or any CLD its not necessary for 100% coverage. As far as the LLP, yes you want to cover as much as you can. LLP is a sound barrier, damplifier is a sound deadener, meaning it is to reduce the resonance of the metal. You do not need 100% for that purpose. Its recommended to apply CLD to flat surfaces as they are the biggest offenders of resonating, more so than curved or angled pieces. There is nothing wrong with 100% coverage if thats what you want to do, its just overkill. Im debating about the LLP right now. I really would like to rip out the seats and carpet and do the whole cabin. Im just leery to do it since I havent see a good DIY on going that in depth.

Im learning to trust myself more performing in depth projects on this car since I am pretty detail oriented and mechanically inclined. 21 yrs doing maintenance on military aircraft taught me a lot. I know I can do a better job on most as long as I feel like doing the work Im bored in the desert so its turning into a great way for me to occupy myself and take pleasure in doing it myself.
Old 08-03-2015, 02:05 AM
JakeG37

Oh, and please share how getting everything out of the cabin goes Share a link to a DIY if you know of one.
Old 08-09-2015, 02:33 AM
JakeG37

Any updates with your sound proofing?
Old 08-09-2015, 09:14 AM
mezzo
Green Eyes!

My friend and I are going to tackle it today. Got my box from second skin earlier in the week.

I don't know of a diy were going to use at the moment. Id like to find one before we start though.
The trunk would seem easy enough to do. but the rear floor boards and under the rear seat are what I'm not sure about... Going to look for a DIY now actually..
Old 08-12-2015, 02:11 AM
strictlys

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mezzo
My friend and I are going to tackle it today. Got my box from second skin earlier in the week.

I don't know of a diy were going to use at the moment. Id like to find one before we start though.
The trunk would seem easy enough to do. but the rear floor boards and under the rear seat are what I'm not sure about... Going to look for a DIY now actually..
are you planning to do the floors in the front too or just the rear? can you can quick pictures? Planning to do the same as you, Hopefully 36 sq feet is enough for the floors.
Old 08-12-2015, 08:39 PM
Zbo31

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sound proofing makes the car feel more luxurious
Old 08-13-2015, 07:47 AM
drewfinity

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
How does it sound, mezzo?
Old 08-15-2015, 05:32 PM
JakeG37

Mezzo, please give us an update!