Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

How to: replace your center channel speaker.

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2015, 03:22 PM
JakeG37

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
CriME, did you replace your stock speaker wiring when you replaced all of your speakers? I want to replace the wiring to something a bit cleaner/beefier. I went to my installer asking him if the speaker wire I bought (12 gauge) would work and he said he couldnt use it for the front speakers since he couldnt get it through or passed the connector at the door hinge. He suggested I just let him use whatever gauge wire he had that would work for my car. I really want to replace all my speaker wires to increase or ensure the signal quality to my replacement speakers/amps.
Old 07-25-2015, 09:36 PM
CRiME
Premier Member

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts
I bought new wiring to replace it, but in the end I didn't bother. I re used the existing wires and I had no issues at all. It made the install much easier. In the front doors, I'm running a pair of CDT HD-M6+ and in the rear doors I have CDT ES-06. These woofers are pretty beefy and the factory wiring supplies them just fine.
Old 07-26-2015, 12:54 AM
JakeG37

Do you consider yourself to be an audiophile? I used to be and am moving back in that direction once again. I wonder how many people on here have upgraded their factory wiring? I am sure I could use the factory stuff and would probably be ok with it, but I really fee like I should change it out. lol. Im too stuck on details and leaving old crap in bothers me. Might not have a choice if I decide to do the whole install myself.

If you re-used the factory wire, I imagine you had to splice/or solder into the harness feeding the speakers to connect them to your amp(s)?
Old 07-28-2015, 12:59 PM
CRiME
Premier Member

Yes, I left the factory harnesses in place in case I ever have to return the vehicle to stock; I spliced in new wire at the doors and ran it to my speakers. I wouldn't consider myself an audiophile, but I do appreciate & have a 'good ear' for high quality sound (I also work per diem doing digital audio mastering, and I've been tinkering with car audio ever since I was 12). I totally understand where you're coming from, though - even if it sounds great, it will still bother you knowing that the factory wiring is still in there. It bothered me for a bit as well, but I eventually got over it as I was very pleased with the final product .

I've noticed your other thread. I'll be following it to see your progress and what you end up doing. Good luck with the install. If you have the time, you can do it, even if it requires drilling or re-pinning the molex. Where there's a will, there's always a way.
Old 07-28-2015, 07:09 PM
JakeG37

Originally Posted by CRiME
Yes, I left the factory harnesses in place in case I ever have to return the vehicle to stock; I spliced in new wire at the doors and ran it to my speakers. I wouldn't consider myself an audiophile, but I do appreciate & have a 'good ear' for high quality sound (I also work per diem doing digital audio mastering, and I've been tinkering with car audio ever since I was 12). I totally understand where you're coming from, though - even if it sounds great, it will still bother you knowing that the factory wiring is still in there. It bothered me for a bit as well, but I eventually got over it as I was very pleased with the final product .

I've noticed your other thread. I'll be following it to see your progress and what you end up doing. Good luck with the install. If you have the time, you can do it, even if it requires drilling or re-pinning the molex. Where there's a will, there's always a way.
I am heavily leaning towards doing this all myself. I have the skills to do it, just didn't have the will until I faced an onslaught of incompetent installers telling me how my plan was full of fail. Even when I presented them with evidence that what I said was right, I would get more b.s. responses. Not to mention insane quotes for the install. I would love to try to re-pin the molex but I have no idea where to find the part number for the pins (or the tools to insert/remove them). If you have any ideas on that let me know Oh, and yes, I will be documenting my build to some degree once it is complete. I am not as fanatical as some on the board here but I will try and give you guys some eye candy. I know I get more out of the pictures than anything else when others post.
Old 07-29-2015, 02:32 PM
CRiME
Premier Member

Yep, sometimes it's best to handle things like this on your own. At least you can rest assured that it was done properly and to your liking. As far as re pinning the molex, I am not sure where to begin in that regard. I searched for "molex tool" on amazon, and a few things actually came back:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...rds=molex+tool.

I would probably try to find a spare molex at a junkyard and see if you can extract / salvage any pins from it.

Pictures would be definitely appreciated. Looking forward to your build thread.
Old 07-29-2015, 03:13 PM
JakeG37

I am waiting for the parts guy at Infiniti to get back with me on the connector. I asked for part numbers for the connector, pins and whatever removal tool I will need. Basically, if I can find some unused pins on the connector, as long as I have the right tool, I can do without getting another plug or more pins.