Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

OEM ipod connector not supplying power

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2014, 11:16 PM
G37 SZZZZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jestered
I also have an '08 G37S coupe and finally got this working last night. I'll save you a lot of time, money and frustration. I just went through this exact thing myself and spent a month buying things that did not work and almost gave up. I decided to give it one more shot and was able to get it working perfectly, so if I were you, and you really want bluetooth streaming, I would skip the testing/experimenting and go straight to what works.

I'll post links to all the stuff you need to buy at the end of this post.

First thing you need to do is determine what functionality you want out of the bluetooth adapter:

*If you want to see all your info on the nav screen, and be able to control it from the nav screen and steering wheel, you'll need to get the Tune2Air bluetooth adapter. This works perfectly and the car acts just like it would if there was an iPod connected directly to the factory iPod cable. I can see all my info on the nav screen and can control it from the screen or from the steering wheel controls. This is the only adapter I've found that has the Apple protocol that will allow all of this. It's more expensive than the other adapters that don't have this functionality (if they work at all in the car), but it's worth it in my opinion. Keep in mind it does this because it's using Apple's protocol for displaying the song data on the screen. It will only work with iOS devices and not other devices. The other devices will work to stream over bluetooth, but won't show the song data on the screen unless it's an iPhone or iPod.

The next thing is getting the correct charge adapters. That's right, adapters, as in more than one. The charge adapters are doing the same thing, so why would you need two? I have no idea why a single charge adapter doesn't work, but it doesn't. You will need two different charge adapters. I've read a lot about charge adapters that don't work, and can confirm this, so I wouldn't experiment with other adapters and would go straight to what is known to work. You will need the Scosche PassPort charge adapter that was suggested by "hechen507" and the CableJive charge adapter. These will not work by themselves and must be used together to get this working.

From what I've read the charge adapters have to be connected in a certain order for this to work. I can confirm that it works the way I have them connected, but did not swap the charge adapters to see if it would work that way or not. I was so happy to finally get it working I did not care if it worked if they were swapped, and what does it matter anyway, so I didn't mess with it beyond that. Here's how I have mine connected and it works perfectly:

Factory iPod cable -> CableJive charge adapter -> Schosche PassPort charge adapter -> Tune2Air bluetooth adapter

The CableJive adapter has a micro USB port on the side of it. I read that you needed to connect a car cigarette micro USB cable to it to give more power, but I did not need it. Mine works perfectly fine without it and never skips or disconnects. If you have any issues you can always try using the external power to see if it helps, but I'm pretty sure you won't need it.

That's it!

The total cost is going to cost you $139.94 from Amazon at the time of this post. So you have to ask yourself if it's worth it to you or not. To me, it is/was. You can also experiment and hope you get lucky, but I went through that and wish I had known this at the beginning so I could have skipped that frustration.
I have the factory adapter and the Schosche charging adapter and neither my Ipod 4th gen nor my Iphone 5 (with small Apple adapter) will charge. Wondering if the stacked adapter setup will help me without the Bluetooth adapter?
Old 09-07-2015, 02:31 AM
claudiohv

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I hope I'm not going to get into tori le for replaying to such an old topic, but the
ViseeO Tune2air WMA1000: Amazon.ca: Cell Phones & Accessories ViseeO Tune2air WMA1000: Amazon.ca: Cell Phones & Accessories
cost 230 CAD now! I'm looking to buy a
Bluetooth but I'm on a budget, anyone has any developments on this?
Old 10-23-2015, 01:40 PM
Brad Madsen

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Has anybody tried connecting the WMA100 Tune2Air to a simple USB power enhancer, like this:

Amazon.com: 30cm USB 2.0 a Power Enhancer Y 1 Female to 2 Male Data Charge Cable Extension Cord: Computers & Accessories Amazon.com: 30cm USB 2.0 a Power Enhancer Y 1 Female to 2 Male Data Charge Cable Extension Cord: Computers & Accessories

Whatever you are connecting to the Tune2Air ends with a USB male end. This enhancer has one USB female end and two USB male ends. One USB male adds power, the other carries data. I would plug the power end into the power adapter in the G37 console box. I've used similar cables for external HDD enclosures. I'm pretty sure this would get the power needed to the Tune2Air and cost a lot less than the two-adapter set up described above.

Has it been tried?
Old 10-23-2015, 03:32 PM
Brad Madsen

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well, I ordered a WMA1000 and a single USB female to dual USB male cable. . . we shall see.
Old 11-02-2016, 09:40 AM
JCil

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi all, just picked up a 2009 G37x coupe over the weekend and quickly found out that although I had Bluetooth connectivity for phone calls, I wasn't able to stream music from my iPhone 7. After reading through the thread, I found Jestered's write up extremely helpful but wanted to do further research to eliminate some of the adapters required.

In my searching, I came across the CarPro by CoolStream adapter (link at the bottom). It connects to the end of the 30-pin iPod cable in the center console and allows for steering wheel control, no additional cables required for power, and provides song and playlist information on the factory non-nav display. It automatically connects and plays your music from where you left off when turning the car off and restarting it when you go to leave again as well.

After connecting it last night, I have noticed a delay between start up and when it does turn on. It usually takes between 30 seconds to several minutes, which doesn't really bother me much. If anyone has a suggestion as to how to reduce the delay, I'm open to suggestion. But in the meantime, I'm enjoying music from my iPhone 7 using apps like Spotify and Prime Music and seeing the information pop up on the screen. I figured I'd share with everyone after not seeing this option mentioned. Thanks again to Jestered for the initial help.

Just another quick note, don't be alarmed by the packaging saying it's a Bluetooth Receiver for BMW iPod Cable, it works fine for my coupe. Enjoy!

You can find the adapter here:

http://amzn.to/2enrnCE

Last edited by JCil; 11-02-2016 at 09:45 AM. Reason: Link