Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

How I displayed the Stock Screen on a Nexus 7

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2014, 10:49 AM
chrismitch
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Wow thanks so much for doing that. It looks like I'm going to be stuck in surgery for a good 14-16 hrs today otherwise I would have tried this right away. As soon as I get done I will definitely try this though and let you know the results.
Old 03-17-2014, 11:20 AM
lex99frc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
guys i am accualy trying to install the nexus 7 in a maserati quattroporte and the dash has to be really chopped up for it to fit. it has sport button traction door lock unlock that i need to relocate in order for the screen to fit. so is there any way to control those buttons from the nexus? so i can jsut get rid of them?

thanks
Old 03-17-2014, 11:59 AM
LooksLikeASport

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by lex99frc
guys i am accualy trying to install the nexus 7 in a maserati quattroporte and the dash has to be really chopped up for it to fit. it has sport button traction door lock unlock that i need to relocate in order for the screen to fit. so is there any way to control those buttons from the nexus? so i can jsut get rid of them?

thanks
Where there is a will, there is a way. One possible solution is to have the switches/buttons connected in the vehicle connected to an Arduino microcontroller, have a bluetooth shield connected to the arduino so that it can communicate with the tablet. Then have software on the tablet that can communicate with the Arduino via bluetooth, controlling the buttons that you mentioned. It would be quite complicated to accomplish, but it is possible.

Here is an example of an android device communicating with an Arduino microcontroller via bluetooth. Arduino Blog » Blog Archive » How to control Arduino board using an Android phone
Old 03-17-2014, 12:12 PM
lex99frc

how about the software
Old 03-17-2014, 12:33 PM
LooksLikeASport

how about the software
Most likely you would have to write your own custom Android application as well as having some code running on the Arduino. Does that answer your question?
Old 03-17-2014, 12:46 PM
lex99frc

yeah thank you
Old 03-22-2014, 11:14 AM
jattsurma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by chrismitch
Wow thanks so much for doing that. It looks like I'm going to be stuck in surgery for a good 14-16 hrs today otherwise I would have tried this right away. As soon as I get done I will definitely try this though and let you know the results.
Any update on this? I'll have some time this weekend if that doesn't work.
Old 03-27-2014, 12:43 PM
lex99frc

chris please call me again thank you
Old 03-27-2014, 12:47 PM
lex99frc

to my understanding to your nexus 7 you have otg y cable connected then via mini usb u used factory cable to connect power to the hub correct?
Old 04-03-2014, 10:03 AM
LooksLikeASport

to my understanding to your nexus 7 you have otg y cable connected then via mini usb u used factory cable to connect power to the hub correct?
Not sure if you already got an answer somewhere else...but yes, that is correct.

The OTG y-cable needs to be connected to the phone. Then the microUSB cable that you would normally use to charge the phone plugs into the OTG y-cable with the other end connected to the powered USB hub. The full sized USB part of the OTG y-cable is what the hub should plug into, so that your tablet can host multiple devices.
Old 04-15-2014, 11:15 PM
TazRider

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mannnnnn, why don't any of you guys live near Atlanta!!!!??? I really want that setup!!! I'm jealous.
Old 05-15-2014, 08:45 AM
Aaron Baker

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any thoughts on this as a alternative to the RGB to composite converter that was in the first post. Primary benefit I see is that it runs off of 5v which could be powered by the USB Hub rather than splicing into radio power. Its also smaller.

RGB to TV convertor - RGB to NTSC & PAL video encoder
Old 05-15-2014, 10:17 AM
LooksLikeASport

Originally Posted by Aaron Baker

Any thoughts on this as a alternative to the RGB to composite converter that was in the first post. Primary benefit I see is that it runs off of 5v which could be powered by the USB Hub rather than splicing into radio power. Its also smaller.

RGB to TV convertor - RGB to NTSC & PAL video encoder
I would be hesitant to use this; it probably will not work. "CGA (15k)" needs to be a supported input type for the board and I do not see that (CGA can also be called RGBS). A CGA/RGBS cable has 5 pins and the RGB input on that board has 6. Take a close look at the board that Chris originally posted and the one you found. The pin count on the input is different, but also the pins are a different size (not to say that you couldn't just use a different cable, but when there are differences like that, it is an indicator that the board does not handle the same kind of input).

Hope that helps
Old 05-15-2014, 10:27 AM
techneutral

I know it was never directly answered in this thread but did anyone ever receive confirmation on whether the HDMI adapter and modified software work?
Old 05-15-2014, 10:49 AM
LooksLikeASport

Originally Posted by techneutral
I know it was never directly answered in this thread but did anyone ever receive confirmation on whether the HDMI adapter and modified software work?
I never heard anything from him. Hopefully we will soon.

Quick Reply: How I displayed the Stock Screen on a Nexus 7