Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Finally some inspiration for that next mod

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2017, 10:31 PM
puff2ice
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
my next project is to try and relocate the stock screen somewhere in the car but i have not figured out what location.
Old 03-14-2017, 05:38 PM
r2dmax

Received 71 Likes on 65 Posts
Very nice. I'm in Charlotte as well and looking for a better solution. I'd love to take a look at the setup and maybe get some pointers etc.
Old 08-18-2017, 09:01 PM
Pollux_Lawyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Charging

Originally Posted by puff2ice
i used a little from this one and some from here https://www.myg37.com/forums/audio-v...nexus-7-a.html

Here is my setup and parts:

Required in order to have indash car-puter
2012 or 2013 Nexus 7
Timur's USB Host kernel for the nexus 7, you will need to root the tablet and install SU in order for this to work.
OTG cable
2.1 Amp charger, i am using a 3 port car charger
4 port usb hub
Micro USB charger cable 6 ft
USB female -male, 6 ft
some sort of ribbon to hold the tablet in place

Display stock screen on tablet
WEIYA CV-04 - will need the plastic connector
FEBON 100 UVC Grabber Card (usb RCA version, the hdmi version is not worth it)
RCA male to male cable

Audio from the table to Car system
iSimple IS31
BestKits BAA3637

OK I have everything in my car, but I am playing around with it prior to splicing any wires and doing a permanent install. Right now I am having an issue with charging the Nexus. I have Timurs kernel installed, and FastCharge enabled, but I am not getting any charge from the connector in the car (>50mA according the Power Manager). What OTG cable do you end up using? I bought
this one this one
which says it can charge when hooked to a sufficiently strong power supply. Do I need to get a higher rated cig-to-usb adapter? Maybe something like
this this
?
I even tried it with a power inverter and it gains, but painfully slow. Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Old 08-20-2017, 12:06 AM
puff2ice
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Pollux_Lawyer
OK I have everything in my car, but I am playing around with it prior to splicing any wires and doing a permanent install. Right now I am having an issue with charging the Nexus. I have Timurs kernel installed, and FastCharge enabled, but I am not getting any charge from the connector in the car (>50mA according the Power Manager). What OTG cable do you end up using? I bought this one which says it can charge when hooked to a sufficiently strong power supply. Do I need to get a higher rated cig-to-usb adapter? Maybe something like this?
I even tried it with a power inverter and it gains, but painfully slow. Any thoughts?

Thanks!
I am currently using
this style OTG this style OTG
, using
this car charger this car charger
, and finally running
this charger cable this charger cable
. let me know and good luck!
Old 08-20-2017, 12:05 PM
Pollux_Lawyer

I am currently using this style OTG, using this car charger, and finally running this charger cable. let me know and good luck!
Thanks for the links. On your OTG cable, did the straight micro USB cable cause you any issue with your air vent or did you cut out the side? What charging rate are you getting through your setup? Trying to determine what I should be expecting. I swapped out some cables and with the power inverter I am getting about 500mA. Should I be getting more than that?

How are you plugging the charging cable and the OTG cable into the tablet simultaneously? Might be looking at this wrong, but I have Nexus -> OTG -> USB Extension -> Power Inverter. Then the pigtail of the OTG is going to the USB hub which also gets plugged into the power inverter. Do you have it set up differently?

Also, I am still loosing about 3% per day when the car is sitting and over short drives I am not recovering that 3%. Are there some other settings within Power Manager that I should be looking at?
Old 08-21-2017, 09:15 AM
puff2ice
Registered Member

Yes, I had to cut a hole into the air vent to ensure the micro usb cable was able to seat properly. I had to do the same thing with the 3.5mm head phone jack. I used a drill to open the holes. I attached a picture of the charging rate.

Starting from the tablet, I have the OTG, then I have that plugged with a 6 ft charging cable, connected straight into the car charger. From the OTG usb, I have that connected to a 4 port usb hub, no power connected to it, I have connected to the FEBON and two 6ft usb extension cables(male-to-female).

Losing 3% in one day is a lot. It sounds like something is keeping your tablet suspended from a deep sleep or an app is running in the background while in deep sleep. Under power events, scroll down to the bottom and you will see a box titled RTC or RTC alarms, open it. Once opened, you will see a bunch of processes with boxes next to them. Basically, anything with no check mark means it is not running while in deep sleep but anything WITH a check will run. AS you make changes, you will need to reboot the tablet and check to make sure the changes were applied. I went through my list and I un-checked every single one. Check yours out and let me know.

Thanks for the links. On your OTG cable, did the straight micro USB cable cause you any issue with your air vent or did you cut out the side? What charging rate are you getting through your setup? Trying to determine what I should be expecting. I swapped out some cables and with the power inverter I am getting about 500mA. Should I be getting more than that?

How are you plugging the charging cable and the OTG cable into the tablet simultaneously? Might be looking at this wrong, but I have Nexus -> OTG -> USB Extension -> Power Inverter. Then the pigtail of the OTG is going to the USB hub which also gets plugged into the power inverter. Do you have it set up differently?

Also, I am still loosing about 3% per day when the car is sitting and over short drives I am not recovering that 3%. Are there some other settings within Power Manager that I should be looking at?
Old 08-21-2017, 12:10 PM
Pollux_Lawyer

Something is definitely going on. I pulled the tablet out of the car and plugged it in to the wall outlet inside this morning. In the three hours between coming home from the gym and plugging it into the wall, I lost 10% battery (88% to 78%).

Plus side is the fast charging seems to be working. I am consistency getting about 300 mA out of the power inverter so that mean I typically go up by 1-2% even on a short drive.

I looked into the RTC alarms and the first time Power Event Manager hung and had to be shut down. I restarted the device and it appears to be working correctly. I unchecked all the applications in RTC Alarms and will report back what I am seeing as far as battery loss.

Are you running your audio through a DAC? I saw Paratrooper said his audio was just fine. I'm curious as to your situation and if you noticed any humming or issues going from the 3.5 to the stock headunit. Also, did you splice into the XM radio or are you one of the lucky ones that has a composite video in your armrest?

Thanks again!

Yes, I had to cut a hole into the air vent to ensure the micro usb cable was able to seat properly. I had to do the same thing with the 3.5mm head phone jack. I used a drill to open the holes. I attached a picture of the charging rate.

Starting from the tablet, I have the OTG, then I have that plugged with a 6 ft charging cable, connected straight into the car charger. From the OTG usb, I have that connected to a 4 port usb hub, no power connected to it, I have connected to the FEBON and two 6ft usb extension cables(male-to-female).

Losing 3% in one day is a lot. It sounds like something is keeping your tablet suspended from a deep sleep or an app is running in the background while in deep sleep. Under power events, scroll down to the bottom and you will see a box titled RTC or RTC alarms, open it. Once opened, you will see a bunch of processes with boxes next to them. Basically, anything with no check mark means it is not running while in deep sleep but anything WITH a check will run. AS you make changes, you will need to reboot the tablet and check to make sure the changes were applied. I went through my list and I un-checked every single one. Check yours out and let me know.
Old 08-22-2017, 08:56 AM
puff2ice
Registered Member

I tried using a DAC and for whatever reason, i was not happy with the low volume and the hiss. I did not want to splice into the XM feed because i listen to certain stations that I could not be without. Instead, I have a 3.5 male-to-male audio cable feeding into iSimple IS31 and then into BestKits BAA3637. The IS31 converts the audio coming from the 3.5 cable into FM antenna and the BAA3637 allows you to keep using FM/AM radio stations and also feeds in the tablet audio to your car speakers. On the IS31 you select what radio station # you want to use (FM 93.1 vs 89.7 vs 91.3 vs etc) and with everything connected, you tune your car FM radio to the station and voila, you could hear the movie your tablet is displaying or stream the tunes you want, etc. The best part is I get to keep my XM radio and the hiss is only noticeable if you try and listen for it. The only negative I have is that this adds to bulk: that is, I have a huge bulk of cables and gadgets that I need to tuck behind the center stack. Hit me up if anything.

Something is definitely going on. I pulled the tablet out of the car and plugged it in to the wall outlet inside this morning. In the three hours between coming home from the gym and plugging it into the wall, I lost 10% battery (88% to 78%).

Plus side is the fast charging seems to be working. I am consistency getting about 300 mA out of the power inverter so that mean I typically go up by 1-2% even on a short drive.

I looked into the RTC alarms and the first time Power Event Manager hung and had to be shut down. I restarted the device and it appears to be working correctly. I unchecked all the applications in RTC Alarms and will report back what I am seeing as far as battery loss.

Are you running your audio through a DAC? I saw Paratrooper said his audio was just fine. I'm curious as to your situation and if you noticed any humming or issues going from the 3.5 to the stock headunit. Also, did you splice into the XM radio or are you one of the lucky ones that has a composite video in your armrest?

Thanks again!
Old 08-25-2017, 12:00 PM
Pollux_Lawyer

FM transmitter isn't a bad idea. I have been playing around with the idea of adding one of these to the build to give me bluetooth streaming but I am concerned with the audio performance. Also tried hooking up my Nexus to a UE roll just to test the audio, and all I got from the bluetooth device list was a bunch of Bluetooth MAC addresses which never resolved into name for me to pick. ( I didn't realize I had that many bluetooth items within range of my office )

I don't really use the XM, so I am thinking I will splice into the wires there. Biggest concern is to be able to go back to stock if I decide I don't like the setup for whatever reason.

I am also having issues with my GPS reception. Sometimes it never locks on (and this is in the flatlands of Texas with little to no building interference etc) and other times it locks for a minute then looses signal. I have read a bunch of different forums where the GPS on these devices has been sketchy but apparently there was a patch by Google. Have you had any issues with your GPS?

I tried using a DAC and for whatever reason, i was not happy with the low volume and the hiss.
Old 08-26-2017, 10:41 AM
puff2ice
Registered Member

FM transmitter isn't a bad idea. I have been playing around with the idea of adding one of these to the build to give me bluetooth streaming but I am concerned with the audio performance. Also tried hooking up my Nexus to a UE roll just to test the audio, and all I got from the bluetooth device list was a bunch of Bluetooth MAC addresses which never resolved into name for me to pick. ( I didn't realize I had that many bluetooth items within range of my office )

I don't really use the XM, so I am thinking I will splice into the wires there. Biggest concern is to be able to go back to stock if I decide I don't like the setup for whatever reason.

I am also having issues with my GPS reception. Sometimes it never locks on (and this is in the flatlands of Texas with little to no building interference etc) and other times it locks for a minute then looses signal. I have read a bunch of different forums where the GPS on these devices has been sketchy but apparently there was a patch by Google. Have you had any issues with your GPS?
when coming out of deep sleep it takes 10 to 20 seconds to get locked into gps bhut nothing crazy.
Old 01-02-2018, 10:30 AM
vdpinc01
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I totally went the cheap route with this. Although I do plan on installing a nice setup with a tablet to replace my stock screen like this thread is dedicated to but this will have to do for now. LOL

I bought a tablet mount that inserts into my cd players and found my old Samsung Tablet (it was a gift ) and use a USB Bluetooth connected to the console RCA jacks (10 Bucks amazon). The mount made it perfect for me to just extend my finger and hit play. Also perfect view for GPS (via Hotspot from my phone).

Got a little bored over the holiday weekend and this kept me entertained for a couple of hours.

Tablet Mount $15.00

Old 01-03-2018, 07:29 AM
puff2ice
Registered Member

Originally Posted by vdpinc01
I totally went the cheap route with this. Although I do plan on installing a nice setup with a tablet to replace my stock screen like this thread is dedicated to but this will have to do for now. LOL

I bought a tablet mount that inserts into my cd players and found my old Samsung Tablet (it was a gift ) and use a USB Bluetooth connected to the console RCA jacks (10 Bucks amazon). The mount made it perfect for me to just extend my finger and hit play. Also perfect view for GPS (via Hotspot from my phone).

Got a little bored over the holiday weekend and this kept me entertained for a couple of hours.

Tablet Mount $15.00

Is that stock trim or a wrap?
Old 01-03-2018, 09:33 PM
vdpinc01
Registered Member

Is that stock trim or a wrap?
That is stock trim
Old 12-29-2018, 03:45 PM
vin0vin

Hi, does anyone with the nexus 7 / infiniti setup still use this page? I have a few questions . One being can i just put the tablet in and then get a bluetooth connector thing and a rca splitter and split the rca into a aux and plug that into bluetooth thing and connect the nexus 7 to bluetooth , or should go from rca to aux to nexus or rca to aux to DCA thing to nexus (i want best audio) 2nd question would be that with doing all this could i still install subwoofers , 3rd is how are you guys powering the nexus , where does the other end of charger plug into , is it avtually plugged in or wired in, and how does the fast charging / slow charging work becasue my galaxy note 9 only fast chargers on like 2 chargers and i have to use the specific box for it .If somone could show a picture of video of power wiring and how i wire it to the right wire to turn on when i turn on my car and not be on 247 and drain my battery , also does anyone know how or a link to how to add a back up cam to this mod .

If anyone has a snapchat or phone number that they can just talk to me in voice with it would be alot easier!!!!!!!!!