Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

To all those who want to add Navigation and Backup Camera

Old 04-09-2010, 03:38 PM
Mr.Yo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks, the camera is mounted above the license plate. I'll post a picture of that also. Actually, I have to say that the screen looked good from the start. I just adjust the left/right location on the screen and also the touch screen calibration.
Old 04-10-2010, 07:01 PM
walleye

Thanks for the info.. This is something i have been looking for as well. Will be investigating more.
Old 04-16-2010, 03:27 PM
Mr.Yo

Here is the picture of the backup cam.
Attached Thumbnails To all those who want to add Navigation and Backup Camera-cimg0078.jpg  
Old 08-05-2010, 12:23 AM
mengmeng

Originally Posted by brian m
Do you know where you plan on installing the camera? I hear it's difficult to judge the distance to objects with the license plate cams because you can't see the bumper for refeerence. You should consider installing the camera in a higher position near the trunk release, which is similar to the factory setup. Only problem is it requires drilling. Looking forward to seeing the finished product. Wish it was cheaper.
Don't install car backup camera on the bumper if it's for parking.
It should be looking down on the bumper - usually up in around the boot handle/numberplate lights.
If you have it looking out from the bumper you have no perception of depth.

If it's installed where I mentioned above, it should not be seen. That's where most factory fit cameras go. It will still require some drilling, but just not in as cosmetically sensitive area.
Old 09-09-2010, 09:04 PM
RemmyZero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i know i'm hopping in here fairly late, i generally reside over at the g35 boards but i've been trying to do some research. the icon tv is a nice system overall but unfortunately there are no installers local to me and it's so damn pricey.

i was curious though about how they connected it. is the text kind of "soft" to look at? (meaning is it not sharp and crisp when you read it?) i ask because i'm thinking they used a PAC VCI unit or it's re-badged twin the tv-and-nav to go unit. it the text is crisp then they did a direct RGB connection.

i did the exact same setup myself for fairly cheap on my 08 (navi, touchscreen, backup cam, music box functionality, etc.). the backup camera is definitely worth it's weight in gold! i ended up using garmin mobile PC though for my navi software. if anyone is interested in checking it out then come on by the g35 boards, you'd be very welcome to join in the conversation.

Garmin Carputer with Touchscreen in 08 G35x Base Model

cheers!
Bob
Old 10-07-2010, 08:40 AM
usndocgreen

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
SO why go with this option over just having the dealer add Navi +backup camera? Sounds like the prices are pretty similar.
Old 10-09-2010, 01:20 PM
EnfinitI

Originally Posted by usndocgreen
SO why go with this option over just having the dealer add Navi +backup camera? Sounds like the prices are pretty similar.
Can the dealer just "add" factory navigation to the car? I thought the navigation package required replacement of a lot of things and it isn't just as simple as a software upgrade or adding a touch screen overlay.

RemmyZero has the right idea though as 2700$ for what you got is NOT worth it in the least. You can build/buy a CarPC, get a touch screen overlay, backup cam and a video module for around or less than 1000$. The installation should be pretty straightforward and shouldn't cost you more than 200$ at a reputable shop. Not to mention that with this setup you can upgrade or add software / features at any time.

After looking at IconTVs site its pretty crazy what they are charging for their stuff.
Old 10-09-2010, 02:04 PM
usndocgreen

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Dealership

So,
To answer my own question, the dearlship can not just ADD nav and a camera. BOOOOO!!! My guy at infiniti also said he called around and none of the aftermarket shops in the area he knows of can either
Old 10-09-2010, 02:27 PM
EnfinitI

Originally Posted by usndocgreen
So,
To answer my own question, the dearlship can not just ADD nav and a camera. BOOOOO!!! My guy at infiniti also said he called around and none of the aftermarket shops in the area he knows of can either
That's what I figured. The Nav Package isn't an easy thing to swap in / out.

Your only options to add Nav is getting an aftermarket window mount unit, the super expensive IconTV version, a CarPC or the Garmin GVN53. You can read up more on the Garmin thing here:
https://www.myg37.com/forums/audio-v...onversion.html
Old 10-09-2010, 05:53 PM
tomro99

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
to those who have an "i" device, here is a cool alternative. no back up camera obviously but gps works fine.

YouTube - iPad gps on G37 screen
Old 02-07-2011, 11:54 PM
cvipgo
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have rear new view camera with chrome spoiler came off my G37 convertible when I installed Integrated Spoiler kit which came with camera already integrated in it.
Anyone interested plea PM me.
Old 11-09-2011, 01:13 AM
eljoker

Received 192 Likes on 125 Posts
So i cant just ad the camera to a non nav coupe
Old 11-19-2011, 07:41 PM
HAWAIIAN821

We had a group buy on this. You paid way too much . Options were backup cam,radar detection,wifi,and another thing.