Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

To all those who want to add Navigation and Backup Camera

Old 03-19-2010, 09:57 PM
Mr.Yo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a Honda Odyssey that has the factory backup cam right above the license plate and I can't see the bumper on my monitor. I really have no problem with it. You get very accustomed to what the spacial distance is with relation to the back of the car without seeing the bumper, plus you get a slightly larger overall image. I could understand where seeing the bumper could be helpful if you are having to parallel park in the city, but I live in the suburbs and rarely have to do that. I really want to see if there are any kids, dogs etc. behind my car before I pull out of the garage.

I tried to make it over to the installer today but I got tied up at work. I am going over on Monday to try out the system and look at the cameras.
Old 03-22-2010, 09:35 PM
Mr.Yo

I checked out the Navigation software today and thought it was very cool. It had 3D landmarks and other nice features. I ordered the system with backup camera and it should be in about a week from now. I will post some pics after it is installed.
Old 03-23-2010, 12:29 PM
brian m

Can't wait to see the finished product. You mentioned the camera has the guidance lines. Do you know if the camera is wired to the steering system to detect the direction of projected movement? Do you have a model # on the camera?
Old 03-23-2010, 08:13 PM
Mr.Yo

I don't have a part number for the camera but I was looking at 2 choices and they are both made by Kenwood. The first one is has no lines and is $200 cheaper than the one with the lines. I know the line distances are programmable and you can do split screens and multiple views with the more expensive camera. There is a little button that comes with the expensive camera that you can control the views with. I haven't decided which camera I'll go with but I will definitely post the info when I make the final decision. I will most likely go with the more expensive camera. I am also looking at a DVD player to go with it.
Old 03-24-2010, 11:29 PM
theyeg

I totally need to know more about this
Old 04-03-2010, 07:54 PM
kanji0513

anyone has update on this?
Old 04-05-2010, 10:33 PM
Mr.Yo

Sorry for the delay. I just had the system installed today. It looks really good so far. The touchscreen overlay works well and the backup camera has wide angle and split screen capability with guidance lines. The Navigation has a really nice 3D mode and it is extremely quick. I have only had the system for 3 hours so I have some instruction reading to do. I will put some pics up in the next day or 2.
Old 04-06-2010, 02:27 AM
DanMardik

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mr.Yo
Sorry for the delay. I just had the system installed today. It looks really good so far. The touchscreen overlay works well and the backup camera has wide angle and split screen capability with guidance lines. The Navigation has a really nice 3D mode and it is extremely quick. I have only had the system for 3 hours so I have some instruction reading to do. I will put some pics up in the next day or 2.
Very nice! So how much did it cost you if you don't mind me asking?
Old 04-06-2010, 04:30 PM
sorphin

i'm using the VCI-X module that is allowing me to feed both cameras into the LCD already in the car, and i switch between them and the regular display.. it sends RGB directly to the monitor (so you have to splice wires, but was easy to do).. works well.. and my backup camera wasn't $200 :-)

Originally Posted by brian m
All you need is this INFINTI G35/G37 2007-2010 NAVIGATION VIDEO INTERFACE which plugs into the back of your monitor and has a video input for a backup camera, such as a license plate type. It has a trigger wire that that is activated when you put the vehicle in reverse so the monitor will automatically display the backup camera image. This interface costs $350 and you can get a backup camera for around $200. You could also display a GPS or DVD player through this. Not sure if this specific interface is compatible with the ICONTV touch screen system.
Old 04-06-2010, 08:16 PM
Mr.Yo

It wasn't cheap. It cost $2,700 total. A lot of that was the labor because it takes them several hours to put in the backup camera. It was approximately $1,800 for the equipment if someone wanted to tackle it themselves. I know people will say that's too much money but that's o.k. There are far worse things to spend money on! I had Jury Duty today and I used the Nav to find the Court House. It worked very well. I'll try to get the pics up tomorrow. The touch screen works astonishingly well. AVI in Newton MA did the install and it looks factory. They are more money but known to be the best in the area. They do all the Porsche, Lotus, Aston Martin's etc. from the dealerships so I knew they were trustworthy. The toggle switch and the camera control are mounted on the dash in unused blanks. Everything still works too; the stereo and hands free phone are fully functional while the Nav is working (including the steering wheel controls). You can switch back and forth between the 2 systems at any time and not lose your GPS position. So far I think it is a great system.
Old 04-06-2010, 08:58 PM
brian m

Congrats on the setup! If it's not too much trouble, it'd be nice to see pics of the toggle switch and camera control locations, 3D nav screen, and backup camera image. Can you provide info on the model of the camera, nav and the video/nav interface module? I'm definitely considering this. Also, do you know if the installer had to do the video in motion bypass? Thanks
Old 04-06-2010, 09:00 PM
brian m

Sorphin: Which camera did you go with?
Old 04-07-2010, 11:36 AM
Mr.Yo

OK here are some pics. 2D, 3D images of the Nav. Also some different camera angles. The license plate is the reference not the bumper, but they are very close. There are actually even more camera angles but I am running over my upload limit.
Attached Thumbnails To all those who want to add Navigation and Backup Camera-cimg0064.jpg   To all those who want to add Navigation and Backup Camera-cimg0065.jpg   To all those who want to add Navigation and Backup Camera-cimg0068.jpg   To all those who want to add Navigation and Backup Camera-cimg0069.jpg   To all those who want to add Navigation and Backup Camera-cimg0070.jpg  

Last edited by Mr.Yo; 04-07-2010 at 12:48 PM.
Old 04-07-2010, 11:50 AM
Mr.Yo

I used Photoshop to ID the controls but I will be making real labels soon. I went with the higher end camera it is the CMOS-300. I don't have the part number for the IconTV interface handy because I'm at work, but it was the standard Nissan/Infiniti unit.

Kenwood]Kenwood]Kenwood - Search - Search[/url] - CMOS-300[/url]

I did not do a DVD yet as it was getting too expensive already but it can be done.
Attached Thumbnails To all those who want to add Navigation and Backup Camera-cimg0074.jpg  
Old 04-08-2010, 10:34 PM
brian m

Looks good. Thanks for the pics. How is the GPS picture? The GVN was a little too bright when I first installed it, but i made some adjustments to the display settings which improved it, still not perfect. How is the camera mounted on the back of the car?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: To all those who want to add Navigation and Backup Camera