Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Regular Audio System VS Bose Studio On Wheels

Old 08-07-2008, 03:30 AM
VT1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Regular Audio System VS Bose Studio On Wheels

I had a wrattle in my passenger door and it was annoying me so i decided to open the door and fix it. In doing so i looked at the stock speaker, since i didn't know who makes the regular audio system i was curious and took out the speaker to look at it. To my amazement it was one of the lightest and smallest magnet speakers i have seen. The whole frame of it is made entirely of plastic and the magnet was tiny...It is made by Blaupunkt and it's rated 20W at 4ohms. That in itself is not very good at all, but for what it is i expected it to sound a lot worse. I also noticed the big speaker hole that's in the door and started fearing that that was for the BOSE speaker...now i'm outright regreting not getting the BOSE system if that's the case.

Name:  DSC00638.jpg
Views: 2647
Size:  40.7 KB

Name:  DSC00639.jpg
Views: 2671
Size:  41.9 KB

Name:  DSC00640.jpg
Views: 2693
Size:  68.7 KB

Name:  DSC00641.jpg
Views: 2724
Size:  74.2 KB

Name:  DSC00642.jpg
Views: 4920
Size:  58.8 KB

Name:  DSC00643.jpg
Views: 3585
Size:  52.8 KB

My question now is....does anyone know if there's a difference in the head unit, probably is even though you can't really see it from the outside. Point is if i can find the bose speakers somewhere and replace them in my door, but i know that probably won't work that easy. Can someone with the BOSE system confirm how their speakers look if they have ever opened their door? Or if you plan to change ur speakers/open your door to take some pics whenever you do.

Thanx in advance.
Old 08-07-2008, 11:11 AM
xeroed

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I have not opened my door but the studio on wheels has 10" woofers in the doors which explains why you have the large plastic adapter for your speakers. The "studio on wheels" is best factory sound system I have ever heard in my life, but only when you have the drivers sound stage activated. When its not activated, it sounds good, but nowhere near the level as it does when on. If you simply change the speakers and maintain your current headunit, you will not match the sound quality of the better system because you will not have the same power supplied to the speakers that the studio on wheels produces. You can get an external amplifier to help, but then you don't have the signal processing that the upgraded system provides. Hope that helps.
Old 08-08-2008, 12:37 AM
VT1

thanx a lot for the input, what you said is what i though too...it's not gonna be just the speakers. Thing is though, if those are just 10" subwoofers then you wouldn't have a midrange speaker in the front...which makes me think they're 10" midrange speakers that can obviously also produce pretty decent bass.

i guess the regualar sound system sounds ok...besides, i have other things to be pissed off about, like the 7spd auto comming a year later lol...shud of gotten a 6MT with prem package and be over with it haha
Old 08-08-2008, 01:27 AM
amm1232710

i think the TL has a better audio system then our G37s.
Old 08-08-2008, 01:39 AM
VT1

Originally Posted by amm1232710
i think the TL has a better audio system then our G37s.
I would agree, it does. It plays DVD-Audio with 5.1 Surround Sound with crisp quality...but it can't compete with the BOSE system in the Infiniti since that's a lot more powerful. The TLs sound system was only 225 watts. I don't know how many watts eather of the Infiniti systems are but i'm sure the BOSE is more.

Another great audio system is the JBL in the 2007+ camry...that's 440 watts and i gotta admit it sounds better than anything i've heard in a car stock....but then again i havn't heard the studio on wheels system yet.
Old 08-08-2008, 08:01 AM
04STi208G37
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by VT1
thanx a lot for the input, what you said is what i though too...it's not gonna be just the speakers. Thing is though, if those are just 10" subwoofers then you wouldn't have a midrange speaker in the front...which makes me think they're 10" midrange speakers that can obviously also produce pretty decent bass.

i guess the regualar sound system sounds ok...besides, i have other things to be pissed off about, like the 7spd auto comming a year later lol...shud of gotten a 6MT with prem package and be over with it haha
uhh not really, there is more than one speaker in the front door of the SOW system. 3 in each door. 2 in the package shelf and 2 in the back seat area. 1 in the dash. 11 total.
Old 08-08-2008, 09:24 AM
xeroed

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
The only thing I was disappointed in is the lack of low end comming from the rear. It seems as though they are relying on the woofers in the doors for all the lower freqencies, which I suppose is fine because they do a damn good job. I guess I'm just used to the bass comming from the rear.
Old 08-08-2008, 09:24 AM
VT1

Originally Posted by 04STi208G37
uhh not really, there is more than one speaker in the front door of the SOW system. 3 in each door. 2 in the package shelf and 2 in the back seat area. 1 in the dash. 11 total.
yea that explains it...3 in the door wud mean the subwoofer and the 2 tweeters in the door. I guess the midrange are left for somewhere else.
Old 08-08-2008, 10:57 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
VT1,

If you are seriously interested in adding the Bose speakers to your system, I will have all the speakers (front and rear) and the amplifiers available soon. PM me if you are interested in buying them.
Old 08-08-2008, 12:43 PM
amm1232710

Originally Posted by VT1
I would agree, it does. It plays DVD-Audio with 5.1 Surround Sound with crisp quality...but it can't compete with the BOSE system in the Infiniti since that's a lot more powerful. The TLs sound system was only 225 watts. I don't know how many watts eather of the Infiniti systems are but i'm sure the BOSE is more.

Another great audio system is the JBL in the 2007+ camry...that's 440 watts and i gotta admit it sounds better than anything i've heard in a car stock....but then again i havn't heard the studio on wheels system yet.

before i traded my Tl for the G ppl would ask me if i had a system put in or "is that a sub in the back". Dont get me wrong i lovvvve bose but, the 5.1 is just sick with it. The studio on wheels to me just sounds like it makes the music a lil louder, idk.
Old 08-08-2008, 07:49 PM
amoney805

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by xeroed
The only thing I was disappointed in is the lack of low end comming from the rear. It seems as though they are relying on the woofers in the doors for all the lower freqencies, which I suppose is fine because they do a damn good job. I guess I'm just used to the bass comming from the rear.
Ya i felt the same way but i guess bose theory on sound is to have it come towards you like a concert. It made me miss the subs in my old car that much more.
Old 08-08-2008, 08:44 PM
04STi208G37
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by VT1
yea that explains it...3 in the door wud mean the subwoofer and the 2 tweeters in the door. I guess the midrange are left for somewhere else.
uhh, no not exactly . each door has one tweeter, one mid, and one 10 inch. There are four more in the back. Don't take my word for it. check it out.
Old 08-09-2008, 01:30 AM
VT1

Originally Posted by 04STi208G37
uhh, no not exactly . each door has one tweeter, one mid, and one 10 inch. There are four more in the back. Don't take my word for it. check it out.
ok, but from what i see i have 2 tweeters in the door and 1 speaker in place of where the BOSE subwoofer would go...i don't see space for another midrange in there, you can also look at the pics.

i'm just speaking from what i see ofcourse, mabe there's an extra hole for the midrange in the bose model?
Old 08-09-2008, 01:40 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Originally Posted by VT1
ok, but from what i see i have 2 tweeters in the door and 1 speaker in place of where the BOSE subwoofer would go...i don't see space for another midrange in there, you can also look at the pics.

i'm just speaking from what i see ofcourse, mabe there's an extra hole for the midrange in the bose model?
The Bose equipped system has: 1 10" woofer, a 3.5" midrange, and a 1" tweeter in each door/sail panel. There's a small 3.5" speaker in the center of the dash. There are 2 more 6" x 9"" woofers in the rear deck and some speakers in the rear seat area. I don't know their size because I have all the rear speakers faded completely out. 11 speakers total. The amplifiers for the Bose system are in the trunk under the false floor on the driver side.

Last edited by Black Betty; 09-03-2008 at 02:25 PM. Reason: Corrected misinformation regarding rear woofers. Oops!
Old 08-09-2008, 02:31 AM
VT1

Originally Posted by Black Betty
The Bose equipped system has: 1 10" woofer, a 3.5" midrange, and a 1" tweeter in each door/sail panel. There's a small 3.5" speaker in the center of the dash. There are 2 more 10" woofers in the rear deck and some speaker in the rear seat area. I don't know their size because I have all the rear speakers faded completely out. 11 speakers total. The amplifiers for the Bose system are in the trunk under the false floor on the driver side.
so do you know if the head unit is the same for both the bose system and the regular one? Can the amps just be plugged in and work?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Regular Audio System VS Bose Studio On Wheels