Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Regular Audio System VS Bose Studio On Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2008, 02:34 AM
VT1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
and btw, how do the 2 10inch woofers fit in the rear deck? there doesn't seem to be enoug space for them there...mabe i'm wrong.

so there's a total of 4 10inch subwoofers with the bose system? wow
Old 08-09-2008, 03:43 AM
Bushtree

Originally Posted by VT1
and btw, how do the 2 10inch woofers fit in the rear deck? there doesn't seem to be enoug space for them there...mabe i'm wrong.

so there's a total of 4 10inch subwoofers with the bose system? wow
no, i dont believe so.. i havent verified, but from my understanding theres a 10" speaker in each door, and then 2 6x9"s in the rear deck.
Old 08-09-2008, 12:08 PM
bryan3d4

Originally Posted by Bushtree
no, i dont believe so.. i havent verified, but from my understanding theres a 10" speaker in each door, and then 2 6x9"s in the rear deck.
That's correct... 6x9's in the rear deck.
Component link: G37 Audio System Component Locations
Old 08-09-2008, 12:33 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Originally Posted by bryan3d4
That's correct... 6x9's in the rear deck.
Component link: G37 Audio System Component Locations
I am corrected. 6X9 in the rear deck, not 10".
Old 08-10-2008, 04:24 PM
VT1

see but they still call the rear 6x9s woofers lol. about the center channel...i don't think i have a place for it on my dash...there's no hole there.
Old 08-11-2008, 04:24 PM
DoctorTuna

I'll complicate this discussion a little further and ask whether the 6x9 rear deck shelf speakers are 2 way or 3 way. I suspect they are 2 way, woofer and tweeter combination with 3.5" midrange speakers in the rear seat side panels. Ultimately the Bose SOW is very impressive indeed. I just came out of an 05 Acura RL which was a bose system as well with the 5.1 DVD-A. There are so few audio DVDs out there and the cost of them really didn't make it into a major feature for me. I definitely like the MusicBox too, something unavailable on Acura models. (for now!!)
Old 08-11-2008, 06:27 PM
Bushtree

Originally Posted by DoctorTuna
I'll complicate this discussion a little further and ask whether the 6x9 rear deck shelf speakers are 2 way or 3 way. I suspect they are 2 way, woofer and tweeter combination with 3.5" midrange speakers in the rear seat side panels. Ultimately the Bose SOW is very impressive indeed. I just came out of an 05 Acura RL which was a bose system as well with the 5.1 DVD-A. There are so few audio DVDs out there and the cost of them really didn't make it into a major feature for me. I definitely like the MusicBox too, something unavailable on Acura models. (for now!!)
im not sure and the specs arent out there on the net. So the best bet would be to take a look, but i dont feel like pulling them out of my rear deck...

I would assume they were 2 ways though,.
Old 08-12-2008, 10:24 AM
colds14

There is a difference between the head units. The bose has a 24 burr brown d/a convertor for cds. This alone makes the bose worth it to me. Adding the bose in after the fact will be the biggest pain that you could do. You would be better off going with something aftermarket of very good quality and you will have better results from it. Don't get me wrong the SOW system is good, but it can always be better.
Old 05-10-2013, 01:30 AM
bllstrt6

How do you activate the drivers sound stage?
Old 05-12-2013, 06:39 PM
TVPostSound
Registered Member

Received 114 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by bllstrt6
RTFOM
Old 05-13-2013, 08:40 AM
IPL 370GT

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by bllstrt6
Nice first post!
Old 05-16-2013, 12:34 AM
Absinthe
Registered Member

Received 81 Likes on 70 Posts
Originally Posted by DoctorTuna
For the S.O.W. cars, the 6" X 9" speakers in the rear deck are one way single paper cone POC's.

Last edited by Absinthe; 05-16-2013 at 12:40 AM.
Old 05-16-2013, 01:18 AM
Absinthe
Registered Member

Received 81 Likes on 70 Posts
Originally Posted by VT1
My question now is....does anyone know if there's a difference in the head unit, probably is even though you can't really see it from the outside. Point is if i can find the bose speakers somewhere and replace them in my door, but i know that probably won't work that easy. Can someone with the BOSE system confirm how their speakers look if they have ever opened their door? Or if you plan to change ur speakers/open your door to take some pics whenever you do.

Thanx in advance.
Head units are drastically different. Take a peek in the AV section of the service manual and you can see the different wiring schemes between the Bose/Non-Bose setups. In the base setup, the speakers are driven directly from the AV Control Unit. In the Bose setup, the AV Control Unit drives the Bose Amp and the Sub Amp which in turn drive the speakers. As for the doors, I'm sorry I don't have pictures of the door but the large black circular filler plate in your car is where the 10" subwoofer is mounted in the Bose cars. There is a 3" mid in the upper door panel

Name:  MID_zpsb33a7791.jpg
Views: 2261
Size:  263.8 KB

and a 1" soft dome tweeter in the sail panel. The sub has its own dedicated amp and wiring while the mid and tweeter use a common wire with high pass filter (cap) at the tweeter.

All drivers in the Bose setups are nominal 2 Ohm. You can substitute 4 Ohm drivers but the Bose amps will not drive them to any volume. Currently I'm running aftermarket amps on the stock speakers and already the sound improvement is substantial. Honestly, the only reason I would recommend the Bose SOW setup over the base would be the high quality DAC's in the head unit; the additional wiring to support aftermarket amplification and the sheer number of drivers and their locations.
Old 03-02-2014, 11:34 AM
billv

Infinity has some 2 ohm speaker, I used them in my Camaro's Monsoon system. Probably a few other manufacturers do too.
Old 03-04-2014, 06:03 PM
cali_g37

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just loved my Mark Levinson System on my Lexus especially compared to my G37S.

Quick Reply: Regular Audio System VS Bose Studio On Wheels