Announcements Announcements from site Administrators and Moderators.

Using the Report Post button

Old 02-02-2011, 12:42 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Using the Report Post button

There's a feature that helps the forum run smoother that many of you are unaware of or don't completely understand. It's the Report Post button that looks like a blue triangle with an exclamation point in the center. It's located on every post at the bottom left beneath the user information. What is it and what's it for?

It is used to immediately report a post to all of the staff. A thread is automatically created in the Administrator and Moderator forum with a comment about the issue from the reporting member and a link to the post in question. Using the Report Post button makes the issue immediately visible to the entire staff. This works much better than sending a Moderator or Administrator a PM. Sometimes the staff member you PM may not be online, or they may read your PM and forget about it before taking action, or they may not moderate the forum the post is in, or they may not personally see the problem with the post. The Report Post button is much more efficient.

So what posts should you report? Here's some examples.

When selling an item in the classified forum, the seller should use it when the transaction is completed so that the thread can be closed. Posting that the item has been sold is great, but perhaps no staff member is following the thread and doesn't notice the post. Click the button.

Offensive posts, flaming, name calling, pointless childish arguing (not the same thing as discussion or differing opinions), trolling, spam, thread dumping, harassment, etc. should be reported this way. Just write what the problem is in the comment section. The problem can be handled more efficiently than if 17 users reply to it by posting "SPAM". Click the button.

When should you not use the Report Post button? If someone makes a post that you don't like or agree with but it's not breaking any rules, don't report it. Just ignore it. Don't use it to make a personal comment to the poster, unless they're staff they can't see your comment. There have been some funny ones reported where the person was trying to send a PM or comment to the poster. That's not how it works. Don't click the button.

I hope this clears some things up and helps users assist the staff in keeping the forum organized and fun for everyone.

Last edited by Black Betty; 09-04-2014 at 08:45 AM.
Old 02-02-2011, 12:54 PM
G37Sam
Administrator

Received 242 Likes on 192 Posts
Abuse of this feature will get you banned though!!

*cough*Kidcane*cough*
Old 02-02-2011, 01:02 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

I thought it was funny. I knew somebody would do it. He's quick!
Old 10-06-2011, 03:23 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Bumping this. Because people need to read it if they haven't.
Old 05-02-2013, 12:11 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Bump becasue many people still don't know about this or understand how to use it.
The following users liked this post:
blnewt (05-02-2013)
Old 09-04-2014, 08:55 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

I'm going to bump this again for new members or members who haven't read it yet or members who have read it but don't heed it. Click the Report Post button if you want the staff to take action regarding a post or thread.

I get at least one PM just about daily where a member asks for assistance with editing a thread or post (often in classifieds). Seldom does the requester ever provide a link to the thread they want help with. They rely on my keen psychic abilities to meld into their minds and know what thread they are referring to without providing me with a link to it. My skills aren't that finely honed yet, and I'm disinclined to search for your thread to edit from your vague description when you could have just provided a link to what you want help with. To name names of someone doing it right, Kevalteam always reports his Private Classified thread when he has sold an item in and requests that the thread to be closed. Thanks so much.

In summary, when you need assistance with a post or thread, use the Report Post button rather than PMing a specific staff member. It will likely get quicker results and it lets the entire staff know if there's a problem. Thanks again.
The following users liked this post:
blnewt (09-04-2014)
Old 09-04-2014, 09:47 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,940 Likes on 4,174 Posts
This X 100, and also a big shout out to Kevalteam, glad he lets us know so he can continue moving in more truckloads of stuff to sell.
Old 01-22-2015, 08:56 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Have an item for sale in the Private Classified forum? Your item has sold or is no longer for sale? Instead of just posting "sold" at the end and calling it a day, please click the "Report Post" button on the first post in the thread and inform the staff that the item is sold and the thread can now be closed. It alerts staff to close the thread much better than any other method.